MPP Programs in DC

I'm looking at applying to some MPP programs in the area. I have an interest in international development and hope to concentrate in that. I chose not to pursue an IDEV degree because I hope to work in other capacities too.

The programs I'm look at are Georgetown, GWU, AU, and UMD. I'm a little interested in the rankings and connections that are available. From what I read, Georgetown and GWU offers greater opportunities but are much more expensive than the other two. AU and UMD seems to offer more financial aid and are still ranked nicely.

The last 3 programs offers concentrations in international development while Georgetown seems to only offer elective courses based on interests. Georgetown offers a semester abroad opportunity internationally to the LYK school that I'm interested in though.

I was wondering if anyone can tell me a bit about life at these campuses, compare their experiences of each campus, talk about connections available, explain the differences in IDEV concentrations at each of these programs, or just the overall experience you've had.

On 8/5/2021 at 1:28 PM, YengHwa said:

I'm looking at applying to some MPP programs in the area. I have an interest in international development and hope to concentrate in that. I chose not to pursue an IDEV degree because I hope to work in other capacities too.

The programs I'm look at are Georgetown, GWU, AU, and UMD. I'm a little interested in the rankings and connections that are available. From what I read, Georgetown and GWU offers greater opportunities but are much more expensive than the other two. AU and UMD seems to offer more financial aid and are still ranked nicely.

The last 3 programs offers concentrations in international development while Georgetown seems to only offer elective courses based on interests. Georgetown offers a semester abroad opportunity internationally to the LYK school that I'm interested in though.

I was wondering if anyone can tell me a bit about life at these campuses, compare their experiences of each campus, talk about connections available, explain the differences in IDEV concentrations at each of these programs, or just the overall experience you've had.

So a few things to note first.

1. AU's MPP program's strength is domestic policy. Yes they have international connections with SIS, but anyone who knows the degrees will ask you point blank why you didn't pursue a SIS degree. So it doesn't really make sense for you.

2. UMD's MPP is also more domestic policy focused, with the exception of national security specialization. Also doesn't make sense for you.

3. The race is really between GWU and Georgetown. Even though GWU has a more formalized concentration in International Development, it only really matters if you choose to follow a professor and his or her connections closely. If none of the professors' background and projects really interest you, then there isn't any major applicable value add to it. I think the key thing you want to consider is if you want your IDEV career to be more focused on quant analytics or not. If you want your career to be quant focused, or have a heavy quant angle, Georgetown makes sense. If you are okay to have less quant and GWU's curriculum flexibility appeals to you, then GWU might be a better fit.

• 3 weeks later...

Would anyone be able to clarify the language prerequisite for applying to GWU Elliot?  I appears that they require 4 semesters of a foreign language to be completed before submitting the application, but I was wondering if they accept in-progress language courses that would meet the requirement before the program starts? 

On 8/26/2021 at 3:09 PM, grd07889923 said:

Would anyone be able to clarify the language prerequisite for applying to GWU Elliot?  I appears that they require 4 semesters of a foreign language to be completed before submitting the application, but I was wondering if they accept in-progress language courses that would meet the requirement before the program starts? 

If I were you, I would ask the admissions office. Generally speaking, foreign service programs want to see a level of competency in a foreign language as a graduation requirement. 

Go wherever's cheapest. Those are all good programs, but in my experience AU SIS is the most plugged in to international development circles. UMD would also be a good option and offers a lot of good skills-based courses that would serve you well.