Disclosure of ADHD in SOP

I will be applying to mathematics PhD programs this fall. My academic performance in undergrad was strongly affected by untreated and undiagnosed ADHD and resulting anxiety. It was so bad that I earned a 2.96 gpa in my first two years, and after seeking treatment I earned a 3.64 gpa in my last two years of undergrad. I have gone on to do the equivalent of a postbacc, with much more rigorous courses than I took in undergrad, and I've earned 3.9+ gpa. As I continue to catch up developmentally with my peers who had a lifetime to build study habits, rather than a measly few years, the ease with which I earn high marks is rapidly increasing.

Unfortunately I took the entire calculus sequence during those first two years (C's and B's), and was told by a professor at a program I plan on applying to that I will need to explain the circumstances leading to my poor early grades. I am worried that the stigma around ADHD may do more harm than good if I am honest in my SOP. Should I actually mention ADHD at all? Should I say I had anxiety due to life circumstances or something instead? Would ADHD actually be a diversity bonus, and help my profile?? 

Other people may have different opinions on this, but I would also be worried about it being judged negatively, and the people on admissions committees are just humans like us, so I would leave it off.

It would be another story if you didn't have a long history of improvement. But lots of people screw up at the beginning of college.  Do you have some research experience and some close relationships with professors to write you letters? These will also help.

I had Bs in calculus and a B- in linear algebra first year of college and it didn't present huge obstacles for me in stats PhD admissions. 

I would probably not mention it. Say something along the lines of "despite struggling to find my way in my first two years of college, I overcame adversity and realized I need to take a different approach. This is why I did far better in the second half, despite having a tougher workload."  Obviously you'll need to wordsmith this and make it sound polished and convincing, but you get the drift."

On 8/8/2021 at 10:27 PM, bayessays said:

Other people may have different opinions on this, but I would also be worried about it being judged negatively, and the people on admissions committees are just humans like us, so I would leave it off.

It would be another story if you didn't have a long history of improvement. But lots of people screw up at the beginning of college.  Do you have some research experience and some close relationships with professors to write you letters? These will also help.

I had Bs in calculus and a B- in linear algebra first year of college and it didn't present huge obstacles for me in stats PhD admissions. 

I will follow your advice, this is really reassuring. Thank you. 

Fortunately I do have good research experience and close relationships with a few of my letter writers.

23 hours ago, statsguy said:

I would probably not mention it. Say something along the lines of "despite struggling to find my way in my first two years of college, I overcame adversity and realized I need to take a different approach. This is why I did far better in the second half, despite having a tougher workload."  Obviously you'll need to wordsmith this and make it sound polished and convincing, but you get the drift."

This will help me get past my block. Thank you.