Educational Psych background for Community Psych PhD?

mattdamon

Hi everyone! I am currently working on my M.Ed in Educational Psychology, and am trying to think ahead as this degree will only take 2 years to complete (woohoo!)

As I continue to learn more about each program, I am starting to think that I really like the field of Community Psych. My school has this program with a PhD option, and a professor whos interests are school bullying and child psych (aligns great with me and my M.Ed degree research).

My question is, do you think there is any issue in coming from an education field background and an ed degree trying to move to a psychology PhD program? I am concerned that they will be looking for someone with more of a direct psychology background.

Any opinions? Thanks in advance!!

I don't see an issue with the field. I see a potential issue with getting an M.Ed. instead of an M.S. (in any field), as the M.Ed. typically does not allow for research opportunities. Can you get involved with research while getting your M.Ed.? That would be ideal.