Fulbright 2011-2012

crimsonengineer87

Oh God.......What does it mean if she responded to your email and not to mine?

I'm starting to feel as though I did not get it. OH WELL. I guess I'm hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst. I have to tell myself daily that I have other options and that I didn't even expect to make the first cut....It's just terrible waiting this long and realizing it all may have been for nothing.......I JUST WANT TO KNOW.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But thanks for letting us know, rosegirl!!

If you are waiting to hear about Sri Lanka I e-mailed Cara and go this response:

Hi --,

I am hoping to send out notifications this week or early next week for Sri Lanka.

Thanks,

Cara

Cara G. Doble

Program Officer – Germany, South and Central Asia

U.S. Student Fulbright Programs

Hopefully our waiting will soon be at an end!!!

I wouldn't be so worried yet!! When did you e-mail her? I am sure it has nothing to do with acceptance or rejection. We'll all know soon enough, so no worries! At least you have other options--I have no other options at this point in time to look forward to...

Oh God.......What does it mean if she responded to your email and not to mine?

I'm starting to feel as though I did not get it. OH WELL. I guess I'm hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst. I have to tell myself daily that I have other options and that I didn't even expect to make the first cut....It's just terrible waiting this long and realizing it all may have been for nothing.......I JUST WANT TO KNOW.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But thanks for letting us know, rosegirl!!

To the Cambodia folks - looks like more waiting...

It's not possible to predict exactly when the final results will become available, but in the past notification letters for Cambodia have usually gone out in late April.

Sincerely,

Jonathan

Jonathan E. Akeley

Senior Program Officer - East Asia-Pacific

U.S. Student Programs Division

Institute of International Education

809 United Nations Plaza

New York, NY 10017

Phone (212) 984-5487

Fax (212) 984-5325

Hey guys! I'm an ETA finalist for Jordan and I was wondering if I'm the only one who's been following the thread. I see that at least one other Jordan ETA is on the spreadsheet, but it would be nice to know if any others are following things here. Also, I wondered if any other MENA ETAers might share their level of proficiency in Arabic. I only took a year of intensive as an undergrad, and I'm wondering if that is going to hurt my application. For Jordan ETAs, it recommends "At least a year of intensive Arabic," but I wondered where I stand as compared to other applicants.

Hey guys! I'm an ETA finalist for Jordan and I was wondering if I'm the only one who's been following the thread. I see that at least one other Jordan ETA is on the spreadsheet, but it would be nice to know if any others are following things here. Also, I wondered if any other MENA ETAers might share their level of proficiency in Arabic. I only took a year of intensive as an undergrad, and I'm wondering if that is going to hurt my application. For Jordan ETAs, it recommends "At least a year of intensive Arabic," but I wondered where I stand as compared to other applicants.

Hi there, I'm an ETA finalist for Bahrain. I have an MA in Arabic (though that degree in no way matches my proficiency level, unfortunately!!) I don't think that having only 1 year will hurt your chances. If you made it this far, then that means they liked your application regardless of the 1 year of Arabic! :)

Excellent news for New Zealand applicants! I emailed Jonathan Akeley this morning and he replied below. I really don't understand why everything has to be so secretive - earlier this week? Can't he specify a day? Oh well, hopefully it will come in the mail today. In the meantime, my productivity at work today is totally ruined.Notification letters for

New Zealand were sent out this week so you should receive yours shortly.

Sincerely,

Jonathan

Jonathan E. Akeley

Senior Program Officer - East Asia-Pacific

U.S. Student Programs Division

Institute of International Education

809 United Nations Plaza

New York, NY 10017

Phone (212) 984-5487

Fax (212) 984-5325

Wow...I meant to respond to this earlier but was busy, and now it's 10 pages back already! It took some digging, but I found it.

Thanks for the support! I hope you get it too. If anything, maybe I can come visit you in the UAE. :D Insha'Allah, things will cool down/get fixed so we can find out soon! I wonder if the Bahrain Fulbrighters stayed in the country or have been allowed back in if they've left. Last time I emailed Jermaine, he said they were trying to figure out what to do with the people in Bahrain, thus not focusing on the new applicants.

There is a travel warning (updated as of 4/12) for Bahrain. I can't remember if someone said something about this before (since there are only 2 of us on the forum for Bahrain), but I just checked the travel warnings website, and it said this: "All travelers to Bahrain face increased scrutiny from Bahraini authorities, and the Government of Bahrain has refused to allow some U.S. citizens permission to enter Bahrain." That, and the 3 month state of emergency...I'm still not expecting to hear anytime soon. I still think that hearing at the beggining of June, at least in my case, probably won't happen.

ETAs (at least for the Middle East? Or maybe it was just my country??) are not allowed to apply for CLEA. I tried (since the website did not say that I couldn't), and I had to re-submit my application without the CLEA part.

Berlino-Have you emailed Jermaine? If so, can you share what he said? If not...I might email him just to see if the current Fulbrighters are still in the country. If so, I'd say that's a good sign. :)

oh I hope you get it, I just am wondering with all of the news there. I say you request to come to UAE, with me (God Willing). It's nearby, another awesome Khaleji area and really stable.

Have you been glued to the news about the region? I have but I also love journalism, news, AJE, and all that.

Did you apply for the CLEA?

I too wait, with anticipation :) Oh notifications, please don't take TOO long. Honestly, I'm trying to resign myself to expecting it in the beginning of June.

Mexico letters were mailed out yesterday!

I called the IIE office last Friday and they said that the answers were not out yet. They said that if they fixed something they would send them out that same day (last friday), if not in the coming days (this week?). Also, someone left a comment here around the end of March saying that they were told that it would take 1 to 2 more weeks (now this week or the next one).

I just hope we find out sooner rather than later.

Good luck!!

Mexico letters were mailed out yesterday!

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you talk to the people in IIE? How long do you think it would take for it to get from NYC to MA??????

I just hope I get good news...... :S

Good luck to everyone!!!!

Berlino-Have you emailed Jermaine? If so, can you share what he said? If not...I might email him just to see if the current Fulbrighters are still in the country. If so, I'd say that's a good sign. :)

I haven't emailed him, unfortunately (to say that I'm pessimistic about conditions in Bahrain is an understatement). If you'd like me to, I can, though I don't want to just bombard him with the question of when decisions will be released.

Just to confirm the good news for Sub Saharan finalists, I just shot Jermaine an e-mail about notifications and he responded with

You hard copy notification letter was placed in the mail for you on Wednesday, so you should receive it sometime during the coming week (if not over the weekend.)

Regards,

Jermaine

I wish they sent out e-mail notifications too ;) The wait is almost over. Good luck everyone!!!

ATTN MEXICO PEOPLE: READ THE FOLLOWING EMAILS B/T ME AND CLAUDIA AT COMEXUS:

Hola Chelsea,

We said at the interview we would be sending responses by the end of March

but unfortunately we have not received confirmation from the FSB in

Washington, as soon as we have green light from them we'll contact you.

Saludos!

Claudia

-----Mensaje original-----

De: Mitcham, Chelsea [mailto:chelsea.mitcham@MidwayISD.org]

Enviado el: jueves, 14 de abril de 2011 01:52 p.m.

Para: cgonzalez@comexus.org.mx

Asunto: Resultados de ETA

Hola Sra Gonzalez,

Como han estado por alli? Espero que todo bien. Me acuerdo que cuando me

dieron la entrevista me dijeron que tendriamos los resultados medios de

abril. Queria saber si ya los han enviado por correo o si todavia no. Si es

que no los han enviado, sabe usted cuando lo haran? Estoy muy ansiosa para

saber!

Gracias por su tiempo y consideracion,

Chelsea Mitcham

Have any of the sub-saharan Africa folks got any news yet? I haven't checked my mail yet today, but I'm curious if the notifications have made it to anyone yet!

No, I didn't receive anything today (NYC - Chicago) :(

I spoke with an IIE person on the phone earlier today and she said they were mailed yesterday? No idea, hopefully soon!

ATTN MEXICO PEOPLE: READ THE FOLLOWING EMAILS B/T ME AND CLAUDIA AT COMEXUS:

Hola Chelsea,

We said at the interview we would be sending responses by the end of March

but unfortunately we have not received confirmation from the FSB in

Washington, as soon as we have green light from them we'll contact you.

Saludos!

Claudia

-----Mensaje original-----

De: Mitcham, Chelsea [mailto:chelsea.mitcham@MidwayISD.org]

Enviado el: jueves, 14 de abril de 2011 01:52 p.m.

Para: cgonzalez@comexus.org.mx

Asunto: Resultados de ETA

Hola Sra Gonzalez,

Como han estado por alli? Espero que todo bien. Me acuerdo que cuando me

dieron la entrevista me dijeron que tendriamos los resultados medios de

abril. Queria saber si ya los han enviado por correo o si todavia no. Si es

que no los han enviado, sabe usted cuando lo haran? Estoy muy ansiosa para

saber!

Gracias por su tiempo y consideracion,

Chelsea Mitcham

Yes! I literally can't concentrate on anything (which is terrible because I have to teach in 10 minutes). I hope to hear something tomorrow. I found out from Cara today that my notification was sent to my temporary address, which is no longer valid. But, hopefully tomorrow one of us will have some news. I'm a tad surprised it's taking this long seeing as how notifications were sent out on Monday. Good luck, Juju!

akk! I bet we will hear today! good luck Nebuchadnezzar! I hope we both get great news today!

Edited by Jujubees

I haven't emailed him, unfortunately (to say that I'm pessimistic about conditions in Bahrain is an understatement). If you'd like me to, I can, though I don't want to just bombard him with the question of when decisions will be released.

No problem--you don't need to email him. I don't want to bombard him either. :) I've only emailed him once before, but I know he's probably getting a million emails a day. And he probably won't have anything to tell us. [Your pessimism is bringing my pessimism out lol.] :blink:

Hey fellow Iceland applicants--- I made a few phone calls today, and it sounds like the letters went out in the mail yesterday! The wait is almost over!

Excellent! Thanks for the news. Did you talk to Rachel?