Fulbright 2011-2012

crimsonengineer87

Hey guys!

This is just a new thread for people applying for the Fulbright (ETA or research grant) for 2011-2012!

I know it's a bit early, but it's never too early to just start thinking about these things! (But this was also created to not confuse the current Fulbrighters in the other thread.)

Hopefully, this won't get lost during the summer/fall and we have one place we can chat and exchange ideas!

Helpful links:

US Fulbright Student Program

http://us.fulbrighto...e.org/home.html

Blog from a gal who got the Fulbright and advice for the application process

http://usfulbrightst...-by-deanna.html

Here's a link which provides information on last year's acceptances and rejections:

https://spreadsheets...ve1Tm6Ow6bHdhYA

Yeah, I saw this and was like WOW. This is really helpful for those über-planners like me. So if you're trying to plan your life, you can kind of estimate when you'll hear from them. For example, I think people found out about Germany in mid-March, while other countries were spread out.

Thanks Mikey.

Hey guys,

I was excited to see someone has started this thread because I'm looking for some advice! I've started the Fulbright process as an applicant for ETA Norway. My Dad's side of the family is from Norway and my Great Great Grandma came to the U.S. as an indentured servant...so, needless to say I have multiple reasons for wanting to go. However, I'm having some issues picking a project... Also, I got the edits back from my advisor on my SOP and PS and he basically tore them apart. He stated that I didn't make it clear about why I wanted to undertake an assistantship there. I'm now starting to feel kind of inadequate and that I won't be competitive. I double majored in Criminology and Spanish during undergrad and will finish a Masters in Applied Sociology in December. I'm planning for a career in public health as I am currently a Graduate Research Assistant at a state health department doing TB Epidemiology (Norway has an extremely low-incidence of TB, so that's out for a project). So, with that being said, I'm starting to wonder if family ties to Norway and my overall desire to travel and teach for a year is enough to make me competitive.

I've started to consider Brazil as I have a Bachelors in Spanish (named as a degree preference), have taken a semester of Portuguese and would like to continue language study. I guess I'm torn between the two. Last year it said there were 58 applicants to Norway and only 2 spots. Brazil had less applicants for three more spots.

The whole process is kind of stressful...and sort of mysterious as I have no idea what kind of projects they would most prefer, what they want to hear, etc. I mean, I guess that's the whole point...but I need some good advice! Anyone have any suggestions or going through the same thing??

Hey guys,

I was excited to see someone has started this thread because I'm looking for some advice! I've started the Fulbright process as an applicant for ETA Norway. My Dad's side of the family is from Norway and my Great Great Grandma came to the U.S. as an indentured servant...so, needless to say I have multiple reasons for wanting to go. However, I'm having some issues picking a project... Also, I got the edits back from my advisor on my SOP and PS and he basically tore them apart. He stated that I didn't make it clear about why I wanted to undertake an assistantship there. I'm now starting to feel kind of inadequate and that I won't be competitive. I double majored in Criminology and Spanish during undergrad and will finish a Masters in Applied Sociology in December. I'm planning for a career in public health as I am currently a Graduate Research Assistant at a state health department doing TB Epidemiology (Norway has an extremely low-incidence of TB, so that's out for a project). So, with that being said, I'm starting to wonder if family ties to Norway and my overall desire to travel and teach for a year is enough to make me competitive.

I've started to consider Brazil as I have a Bachelors in Spanish (named as a degree preference), have taken a semester of Portuguese and would like to continue language study. I guess I'm torn between the two. Last year it said there were 58 applicants to Norway and only 2 spots. Brazil had less applicants for three more spots.

The whole process is kind of stressful...and sort of mysterious as I have no idea what kind of projects they would most prefer, what they want to hear, etc. I mean, I guess that's the whole point...but I need some good advice! Anyone have any suggestions or going through the same thing??

Welcome to our wonderful 2011-2012 thread!

So, I've also been struggling with my SOP, but here's what I think, based on finishing up my SOP, the FPA, and a Fulbrighter who went to Germany:

1. For ETA, you should also include what makes you qualified to teach English in that country. So you can mention any TAing you've done, volunteer work with students, stuff like that. You are correct, just your overall desire to travel and teach is not enough.

2. Mention HOW going to Norway would benefit you. You could mention you want to investigate your family tree as a side project, but I think they'd want something more substantial. BUT I think you can swing your research in TB to your advantage. Why don't you somehow partner with another disease care organization? Since you have BACKGROUND in disease research (that's Epidemiology , right?) you can go ahead and do some community thing with that, since you want a career in public health. Hmm, I hope that makes sense.

3. Your degree in Spanish would help you tremendously, I think, in Brazil. And if you mention you've taken a semester in Portuguese and explain how you plan to continue that, then that would make you even better, since the country summary page for Brazil mentions that you should start taking Portuguese a little before your trip. Then you could even couple your research background with something in Brazil too.

So in general, I think your research can be applied to almost anything in any country, but you have a stronger connection (it seems) with Brazil b/c you fit into the qualifications.

I hope this helps ...

Welcome to our wonderful 2011-2012 thread!

So, I've also been struggling with my SOP, but here's what I think, based on finishing up my SOP, the FPA, and a Fulbrighter who went to Germany:

1. For ETA, you should also include what makes you qualified to teach English in that country. So you can mention any TAing you've done, volunteer work with students, stuff like that. You are correct, just your overall desire to travel and teach is not enough.

2. Mention HOW going to Norway would benefit you. You could mention you want to investigate your family tree as a side project, but I think they'd want something more substantial. BUT I think you can swing your research in TB to your advantage. Why don't you somehow partner with another disease care organization? Since you have BACKGROUND in disease research (that's Epidemiology , right?) you can go ahead and do some community thing with that, since you want a career in public health. Hmm, I hope that makes sense.

3. Your degree in Spanish would help you tremendously, I think, in Brazil. And if you mention you've taken a semester in Portuguese and explain how you plan to continue that, then that would make you even better, since the country summary page for Brazil mentions that you should start taking Portuguese a little before your trip. Then you could even couple your research background with something in Brazil too.

So in general, I think your research can be applied to almost anything in any country, but you have a stronger connection (it seems) with Brazil b/c you fit into the qualifications.

I hope this helps ...

This was great information. Thank you for taking the time to write a response! I really appreciate it. I am starting to think that I will be more competitive in Brazil, so I need to re-do my statements. Thanks again!

On a side note, I would really recommend attending an IIE webinar specific to the ETA for everyone looking to apply. I did one today and it was a full of awesome tips and they did a Q&A segment at the end. They also encourage emailing any questions to the regional program managers. Just check out the front page of us.fulbrightonline.org for future dates.

I need to third the webinars. They are just so helpful and I like how they answer a few of our questions throughout and at the end. Some of the webinars may be boring b/c they do an introduction to the program, or they may be about other "new" sources of funding for different countries, but they do provide excellent insight into the application process.

There are a few webinars this week:

Thursday, June 17 - for US Study and Research

http://us.fulbrightonline.org/news_events_story.php?id=940

Monday, June 21 - for Creative and Performing Arts

http://us.fulbrightonline.org/news_events_story.php?id=931

And here's the link to the Fulbright Multimedia page with past podcasts and webinars:

http://us.fulbrightonline.org/podcast.html

Happy Tuesday!

Dear Fulbright 2011-12 Applicants,

I'm jim the zymurgist over from the Fulbright 2010-11 forum. I successfully applied for a 2010-11 Fulbright Full Grant to Germany.

Crimsonengineer recently contacted me with some questions and, after responding in PM, I thought I'd share some of the contents of that message with applicants who are currently in the process of drafting Statement of Grant Purposes (SGPs), and finding and securing affiliates. I'm sure there are a wealth of opinions and suggestions on these matters, many of them differing in method, so I here offer my experience regarding my SGP and finding my affiliate--securing an affiliate is (basically) essential when applying for the Fulbright Full Grant to Germany.

Hope this helps!

Best,

jim the zym

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Dear Crimsonengineer,

I think one of the most important steps in the Fulbright application process is determining the affiliates who are absolutely essential to your project. And I think that finding an affiliate and writing a good Statement of Grant Purpose (SGP) are fundamentally bound up with each other. Obtaining an affiliate not only means that you have, well, secured an affiliate, but it also gets you to think about (and articulate) the reason why your project MUST be executed from your proposed country, city, institution, and (in some cases) with a specific person at said institution. Having this reason in your SGP makes for a better (stronger) SGP than not having it.

If you've already narrowed down your affiliate list, good, lots of work is already done.

If you haven't -- or if you have and want some questions to think about -- then consider the following: applying for a Fulbright Full Grant is you saying that you absolutely need to be in, say, Berlin in order to execute your research project on, say, the ethics of transnational identity among inner-city youth. This means that one approach is: have some general idea about your project as you start writing your SGP, find an affiliate that uniquely matches up with your project, then incorporate that affiliate (in its various aspects) into your SGP. Determine where you and your project 'best fit' in Germany; this constitutes your list of potential affiliates. (For my part, my list of potential affiliates was quite short for reasons I'll soon explain.)

Here, the Fulbright Commission looks to see if your project can't be completed at some institution in the US (or your home country), if it can, then you don't really need to be in residence for one year in your proposed host country. Questions to think about: Can I complete my project at some library here in the US? (Answering 'yes' is not a good thing.) What does my affiliate have that I can find no where else in the world? Why do I need to physically be at my affiliate institution?

Your Statement of Grant Purpose should include why your project requires your physical presence at your affiliated institution, and how your project cannot be executed without that.

It took me hours and hours of (primarily) online research and (secondarily) asking professors in order to find leads on affiliates. Naturally, professors can provide a wealth of lead info, especially if they are familiar with your field in Germany. Mine weren't. My current adviser (in German) knows few people in my proposed field of research (history), so she was only able to provide me with one name. And, in all truth, that German professor would have probably agreed to be my affiliate. I didn't go that route however, because I wanted to be engaged in a project that interested me. That certain potential affiliate (though in history) was just too far afield when it came down to our respective research interests. So, I spent lots of time trawling the internet trying to figure out the city/institution at which I belonged. This took me a couple of weeks, but in the end I found a place that I thought, generally, fit with my interests, and, specifically, provided me with reasons for having to physically be in Germany for one year.

So, I drafted my SGP with my potential (and perfect) affiliate in mind. By the time I was ready to send out feeler-emails, I had completed a full, revised (but not final) draft of my SGP. This means that I had a very solid idea of my project and why I was proposing to specific individuals at my potential affiliate institution. In the end I sent feeler-emails to about 4 individuals which means that my approach resulted in me not casting a wide feeler-email net; but I hoped that it also meant that my first round of feeler-emails would have some impact. So, onto the feeler-emails.

By the time I started drafting my feeler-emails I already had completed and revised (and revised) my Statement of Grant Purpose. That means that I went through all of the above and (honestly) did not get around to sending out feeler-letters until sometime in September (which is too late). Get started early! This also means that I had found my compelling reason as to why I had to be at my proposed affiliate--which became the core of my project and my SGP. The drawbacks to this approach might be something like: I constructed a very narrow and specific project with a certain affiliate in mind, and what if my affiliate had not agreed to host me? or agreed too late? Then I would be at a total loss and I'm sure would not have made it past the first round of cuts. The benefits to this approach were: I spent all of my energy trying to get someone from my specifically chosen affiliate to host me, my Statement of Grant Purpose showed why I had to be there (specifically), and because my Statement was specifically tailored to that affiliate institution I thought that that upped the chances of someone responding to my feeler-emails. Someone (finally!) did.

I went with the 'all eggs in one basket' approach. That may not be for you. It was for me.

So, with all of this in mind I wrote my feeler-emails. It was one email. I drafted it, had someone copy-edit my German, had my adviser briefly look at it, then sent it out:

Dear Blahty Blah

¶1: My name is blah blah. I am currently studying at blah and am writing to you with the hope that you might agree to be my research mentor under the auspices of the Fulbright program. My proposed project is on fruit (some general term), and I am specifically interested on whether or not apples and oranges can be compared (one liner, specific description of your project--by now their interest should be peaked because they work in the same field of research).

¶2: My project specifically is blahty blah blah blaty blah (here a few, very tight sentences explaining your project). With this in mind I would like to conduct this research at your institution because your institution houses all manner of apples and oranges (here say why you need to be at that institution), and/or with you because your ground-breaking research in apple and orange comparison is essential to my project (here say why that person might be essential to your project).

¶3: If this interest you, I await with bated breath your answer and would be grateful for it (here, diplomatically and gently let them know that your ball is now graciously in their court; this is where you, in so many words, ask them to answer your email). In order to help you make your decision, I here attach my CV (attach your stellar CV to show them that you are awesome and that they'd love to have a young motivated individual like you around) and my proposed research statement (attach your fine-tuned research statement so they can see in detail what your project is all about). In the case that you're not interested in my awesome project, I would be grateful if you forwarded this to a colleague of yours that you think might be interested (here, this one is tricky, you may want to leave it out; but my thinking is, if they are not interested in my project, and I ask them very nicely/gently to forward this to someone they know who might be, then what's the harm?). If you have any questions or comments or whatevs please do not hesitate to contact me at blah@blahmail.com. I thank you for your time and consideration in this matter.

MfG,

Me, the awesome Zymurgist

Undergrad or grad, Germanistik

Public State University of Awesome Fruit

Also, don't be afraid to contact department administrators. As you may have already heard, these German profs are swamped with work and are often times reticent to take on research students--they just don't have the time usually (at least that's what the profs at my home institution warned me about). If you diplomatically email the department administrators and ask them to give your materials to that professor who just hasn't answered your feeler-email, your materials may land at the top of that professor's pile of to-do stuff; or maybe the department administrator will inform you that that professor has recently moved to another university and give you the name of someone else you might want to contact from the same department (which happened to me--I waited and waited for a response from someone, then emailed again, still nothing, then finally emailed the dept. administrator who was kind enough to inform me of that prof's move and give me some other leads).

I hope all of this helps. I remember the process well. Keep your head up. I'd be happy to answer any other questions you may have.

Best,

Zymurgist

Hello,

I am in the beginning stages for applying for a research grant to Vietnam. I have 2 years of VN language studies and I did my Master's thesis research on VN. I am hoping to get this grant for my dissertation research. I am feeling pretty confident with my proposed idea, but I am worried about getting the letters of support!

Hello Everyone!

I found this forum while looking for last years statistics... I just got done reading all 50 pages of last year's posts. They're really quite informative... I learned a lot about the program I'm interested in by reading them. It also plays out like a real time Soap Opera haha! Having applied for the JET program to Japan I can totally relate to the whole waiting thing. Thankfully I don't have to do that for Fulbright yet.

I'm applying to the Spain MBA program at IE business school in Madrid. I've completed the english version of my proposal (took about 6 drafts) and I've prepared my application packet to the school itself. I've lined up all of my letters of recommendation, one of which has already filled it out :-D I started this whole thing back in April. I'd love to hear if anyone knows how many people applied to this particular Spanish program last year - the official page has a blank space where the number should be. Also any adivce is greatly appreciated! I loved zymurgist's post, but I'm not sure how much that applies to the MBA program as it is a set program that you follow... not research based at all.

I look forward to getting to know everyone on here over the next year!

Cheers!

Skyfire

Edited by Skyfire

So, after much thought, I've changed my country to Portugal (ETA). I've written my personal statement which I feel is pretty strong but I'm in the midst of writing the statement of purpose. I have an idea for my side project but I feel like it's not creative enough. It combines both campus and community engagement as well as what I'm studying for my Masters. But, I feel like even though my main job as an ETA will be teaching, I won't have a competitive application unless I have a super creative project. For instance, if I chose something such as volunteering at an orphanage, would that be too generic? I have experience working with children with autism and I think that would be awesome as well but I don't know how accessible schools or programs for special needs children would be there. Does anyone know of any projects from past successful applicants to give me an idea of what they're looking for? Or, should I focus my application on my love of education rather than putting a lot into a creative project?

So, after much thought, I've changed my country to Portugal (ETA). I've written my personal statement which I feel is pretty strong but I'm in the midst of writing the statement of purpose. I have an idea for my side project but I feel like it's not creative enough. It combines both campus and community engagement as well as what I'm studying for my Masters. But, I feel like even though my main job as an ETA will be teaching, I won't have a competitive application unless I have a super creative project. For instance, if I chose something such as volunteering at an orphanage, would that be too generic? I have experience working with children with autism and I think that would be awesome as well but I don't know how accessible schools or programs for special needs children would be there. Does anyone know of any projects from past successful applicants to give me an idea of what they're looking for? Or, should I focus my application on my love of education rather than putting a lot into a creative project?

I personally don't know of any projects, but I'm glad you stuck with the Portuguese and are at least going to a country that speaks that language. It will most def make your app stronger!

Hmm, it seems you are in the difficult stage of your app. You have these skills, but it is difficult to apply to it to a country trying to make that strong connection of why Fulbright should send you there. Even though I'm applying for a research grant (I don't know the acronym for this), I think it's similar with ETA. For example, I'm applying to Germany b/c I've studied German and have contacts there. I'm also trying to get affiliations at universities that have done research similar to what my dissertation work will be in order to solidify that connection. Yeah, my research can be done anywhere else, but saying that XYZ institution has done research in this field shows why this would be great for my work, but also cultural/intellectual collaboration etc.

I don't have experience in apps for ETA, but I do know this: use what you've got. If you have experience with working with kids with autism (lots of with's), then try going with that and obtaining an affiliation (do you need to do this too?) with some place like that - OR - if you don't, find some statistics about it in Portugal, and then create a side project?

I need to read up on the ETA to give better advice, but that's what came off the top of my mind ...

I personally don't know of any projects, but I'm glad you stuck with the Portuguese and are at least going to a country that speaks that language. It will most def make your app stronger!

Hmm, it seems you are in the difficult stage of your app. You have these skills, but it is difficult to apply to it to a country trying to make that strong connection of why Fulbright should send you there. Even though I'm applying for a research grant (I don't know the acronym for this), I think it's similar with ETA. For example, I'm applying to Germany b/c I've studied German and have contacts there. I'm also trying to get affiliations at universities that have done research similar to what my dissertation work will be in order to solidify that connection. Yeah, my research can be done anywhere else, but saying that XYZ institution has done research in this field shows why this would be great for my work, but also cultural/intellectual collaboration etc.

I don't have experience in apps for ETA, but I do know this: use what you've got. If you have experience with working with kids with autism (lots of with's), then try going with that and obtaining an affiliation (do you need to do this too?) with some place like that - OR - if you don't, find some statistics about it in Portugal, and then create a side project?

I need to read up on the ETA to give better advice, but that's what came off the top of my mind ...

Thanks for trying to answer my questions, you have become my go-to for information haha. For ETA, we thankfully don't need affiliations. And yes, I am finding that explaining why I want to go is becoming a huge burden. I could write 20 pages on why I would want to go to a place like Spain, because I've studied there, but the point for me is going somewhere where I have strengths, but haven't been. It doesn't help that after submitting my statements to my campus advisor, they come back totally gutted. It's starting to make me think I'm never going to write something acceptable. When I originally looked at the requirements for the statements, I thought they were going to be very straightforward but they are turning out to be the bane of my Fulbright existence. I know the edits are constructive criticism made in an effort to produce the best possible application but it is a little bit disheartening. I want to get this grant more than anything but it's so hard to express that in one page! Especially when I'm known as someone who turns a 5 minute happening into an hour-long story...

Thanks again for the input and I'll keep you updated on my daily struggles haha. Good luck to you as well, it sounds like you're on the right track and I'm jealous!

Thanks for trying to answer my questions, you have become my go-to for information haha. For ETA, we thankfully don't need affiliations. And yes, I am finding that explaining why I want to go is becoming a huge burden. I could write 20 pages on why I would want to go to a place like Spain, because I've studied there, but the point for me is going somewhere where I have strengths, but haven't been. It doesn't help that after submitting my statements to my campus advisor, they come back totally gutted. It's starting to make me think I'm never going to write something acceptable. When I originally looked at the requirements for the statements, I thought they were going to be very straightforward but they are turning out to be the bane of my Fulbright existence. I know the edits are constructive criticism made in an effort to produce the best possible application but it is a little bit disheartening. I want to get this grant more than anything but it's so hard to express that in one page! Especially when I'm known as someone who turns a 5 minute happening into an hour-long story...

Thanks again for the input and I'll keep you updated on my daily struggles haha. Good luck to you as well, it sounds like you're on the right track and I'm jealous!

Try this website: http://www.uic.edu/d...PT%203%2010.ppt

It is a direct link to a power point with advice on the Fulbright program in general. Although it is mostly for the SRG, there is a slide about ETA with some good questions that should be answered.

And if you need more advice, feel free to ask away here! Or you can private message me. It seems a little TOO gung-ho about Fulbright. Haha.

Edited by crimsonengineer87

Try this website: http://www.uic.edu/d...PT%203%2010.ppt

It is a direct link to a power point with advice on the Fulbright program in general. Although it is mostly for the SRG, there is a slide about ETA with some good questions that should be answered.

And if you need more advice, feel free to ask away here! Or you can private message me. It seems a little TOO gung-ho about Fulbright. Haha.

Believe it or not...I've seen that power point before haha. I have literally scoured the internet looking for information and tips. I've also looked up past winners for specific who are often listed on their schools websites. A lot of the time there are write-ups about them that include what their side project was so it gives me some more ideas about what type of projects they're looking for. I have been prowling around the internet like its my job.

Yea, how do you private message? I could try to figure it out but I'm too lazy. I feel like we are dominating the board. Hopefully things will pick up as the time gets closer to the deadline!

Thanks for the powerpoint! I hope this forum stays active as we are applying. I am meeting with my FPA next week, and I want to share my personal statement and grant proposal with him at that point. I also plan to email it to my friends that have been successful in applying for a fulbright. I will pass on any information I get from them.

I am meeting with the FPA tomorrow! Ahhhhhh! I have a smokin' first draft of my personal statement, unfortunately it is a half-page too long. Any tips on how to you kept it to the 1 page maximum? My research proposal is rough, but a solid start. i send both essays to a couple of my peers (one who won a fulbright and helped his girlfriend get one the following year to the same country!!!) as well as the FPA...I will let you know how that goes....

Here is a helpful link for preparing:

http://www.niu.edu/international/fulbright/Hints2FulbrightStudents.htm

Also, Duke's website has sample essays (of I am assuming recipients) and lots of good advice!

I am meeting with the FPA tomorrow! Ahhhhhh! I have a smokin' first draft of my personal statement, unfortunately it is a half-page too long. Any tips on how to you kept it to the 1 page maximum? My research proposal is rough, but a solid start. i send both essays to a couple of my peers (one who won a fulbright and helped his girlfriend get one the following year to the same country!!!) as well as the FPA...I will let you know how that goes....

Here is a helpful link for preparing:

http://www.niu.edu/i...ghtStudents.htm

Also, Duke's website has sample essays (of I am assuming recipients) and lots of good advice!

You'll do fine! The process of revision is a daunting and long one, but it will be well worth it come March-April!

Even though your personal statement is a half-page too long, I think that's good! It means that you have enough stuff to discuss for your ps. I think it's better than NOT having enough. Once you get corrections back, and revise, you can take out those that don't flow, do not contribute to the overall meaning of your PS, or you think can be left out. You might think that they are ALL good sentences, but you've gotta chop off some! I also suggest saving drafts as different files, rather than just saving your edits over your last one, in case you really liked a sentence from a previous draft like two days ago.

But I think you're off to an excellent start! Let us know how the meetings/edits go!

BTW, great link from the NIU!

Just wondering if anyone had advice about choosing an affiliation for a Fulbright application if you have more than one option. I'm trying to decide if I should apply with my BA alma mater which is a better school than the state school at which I'm currently enrolled at a veterinary student. I've been in contact with the Fulbright coordinators at both schools and both are willing to help me out. My alma mater has more Fulbright applicants each year and seems slightly more organized/helpful in giving me advice. However, I am living across the country from the alma mater and wouldn't be able to have an in-person interview. There are fewer applicants from my current school and it's definitely a less academically rigorous institution. Does any of this stuff matter? Is there any advantage to be an applicant from a school with few applications each year?

If it makes any difference I'd like to apply to the public health fellowship, not ETA or full grant.

MBV, like you my previous institution had a great record with Fulbrights received. I contacted both FPAs (my current and previous school), and the FPA from my previous school said to stick with my current school. I am assuming it is because she is swamped with other applications though. My gut is to go with your alma mater, and see if doing a interview through skype is an option. Keep in mind, I am new to this and may be steering you in the wrong direction!

Regarding my meeting with my FPA, I am not sure what to think. He had nothing to say about my personal statement, he said it was good and gave a good picture of who I am and why I am unique, and then he wished me luck cutting it down! He gave a couple suggestions for my research proposal, which were helpful, but I left unsure of how strong my proposal is in its current state. I couldn't get a read from him. Is his not saying much a good sign, or should I be concerned that my essays were not covered in red ink? I have a couple good friends reading over my essays, so hopefully feedback from them will improve my essays further.

I am finding that editing and making clear my goals is much easier once I got my first complete draft done. Anyone who has not started, I suggest that you do so immediately. My research proposal is vastly different (okay, not vastly, but much more specific) from when I started.

Crimson, thanks for the advice about saving each draft, I started doing that right away.

Now I need to focus on getting letters of support from institutions in Vietnam! Anyone had luck with getting letters of support?

Also, anyone else who is using this research as their dissertation research, there is also the Fulbright-Hays grant through the department of education. It's application cycle does not open up until October, and is due December 1.

Also, anyone else who is using this research as their dissertation research, there is also the Fulbright-Hays grant through the department of education. It's application cycle does not open up until October, and is due December 1.

hey rachael, do you know what the difference between the Fulbright-Hays and the regular Fulbright is? Is it that the FH is more geared towards dissertation research and PhD students? And do you know if someone could apply for both if they were using their dissertation work as the basis for the full research grant? thanks!

Crimson,

The FB Hays is specifically for dissertation research, while the traditional fulbright is open to any students with a research project. I haven't seen the application yet, since the cycle is not open. However, I noticed that people's funding varies--i think you have to make a budget.

Are you a research grant and doc student?