Fulbright 2011-2012

crimsonengineer87

I think universities do different things for the campus part of the Fulbright. My campus adviser simply wanted me to send her my statement of grant purpose, personal statement, and scanned copy of my transcript. I asked if she wanted letters of affiliation or recommendation, but the the campus committee will just evaluate projects based on those three documents and an interview. So I think it'd be best to ask to make sure. Don't assume! You know what that makes you and me!

Good luck everyone!

Just got an email from my campus adviser saying that he has access to my application online and can print it out for review by the campus committee. Cool!

Hi All,

I am also a Washington State University student! I'm an undergrad and I'm applying for the Fulbright ETA in Colombia...Currently fine tuning the statements, I got in very late-in-the-game, but I'm excited and think that I would have a rewarding time going through such an experience!

Hollar to my fellow WSU COUG!

And good luck to everyone else!

Edited by crimandgreyalltheway

Hi All,

I am also a Washington State University student! I'm an undergrad and I'm applying for the Fulbright ETA in Colombia...Currently fine tuning the statements, I got in very late-in-the-game, but I'm excited and think that I would have a rewarding time going through such an experience!

Welcome!

Hi All,

Glad you found our amazing thread! So I assume you've been working with Sarah Ann on getting your statements and letters of rec out. If you need any advice or need people to proofread, any of us will be happy to do so!

And ...

Go Cougs!

Glad you found our amazing thread! So I assume you've been working with Sarah Ann on getting your statements and letters of rec out. If you need any advice or need people to proofread, any of us will be happy to do so!

And ...

Go Cougs!

Yes! I've been working with Sarah Ann..She's been great so far :-)

Ahhhh...and I've re-written these statements like 123890123890 times. I seriously never think it's good enough, haha!

And THANKS, I will probably take you up on that offer!

AND RACHAEL: CONGRATS!!! =) Can't wait to get there!

I have my letters of support in my hand...err saved to my desktop....I now have everything I need!!! Cannot wait to submit this beast!

That IS exciting! I need to actually go through the online app and completely finish everything. I'm being lazy and waiting for the campus committee to give me last minute edits on my statements. Probably bad .. but it's okay. We've been working on this since May/June! Ugh, now the hard part: WAITING.

Hi all!

I'm applying as an alumna of my college for a research grant in Colombia. I'm so excited! However, I started the formal process a little late. I have a few questions that may be answered in this thread, but search isn't helping me and I won't have time to read through them for a couple of days (has anyone else been doing this while working full time? ohmy.gif).

- Can letters of affiliation be printed, signed, scanned and sent to me as PDFs? How are people doing these?

- Do you think there would be any disadvantage to my application if I planned to gain a Master's as part of my project? My affiliate offers a one-year Masters that would be in my field. I'm still deciding whether or not it would be the right thing, especially because I would like to take courses in another department to fortify another aspect of my project

- Anyone with experience in flexible starting dates? Will planning to start on a different date make my application weaker? The website says the preferred start date is August 1. However, many programs begin in the winter or in July.

- Has anyone else been asked to apply and be accepted to the affiliate institution before a letter will be written? I understood that a letter would say something like, "Pending acceptance to our hallowed institution, we will offer Siguenomas the following resources and support..." However, the affiliate with which I hope to work has asked me to apply for their program first. I have not been very good at asking for letters, and don't want to pester them. However, the deadline is coming up and a complete application would take some time, plus add an unanticipated burden to my referees.

- Is anyone willing to proofread my statements? :) I would love some feedback (and would be happy to proofread for others)!

Hi all!

I'm applying as an alumna of my college for a research grant in Colombia. I'm so excited! However, I started the formal process a little late. I have a few questions that may be answered in this thread, but search isn't helping me and I won't have time to read through them for a couple of days (has anyone else been doing this while working full time? ohmy.gif).

- Can letters of affiliation be printed, signed, scanned and sent to me as PDFs? How are people doing these?

- Do you think there would be any disadvantage to my application if I planned to gain a Master's as part of my project? My affiliate offers a one-year Masters that would be in my field. I'm still deciding whether or not it would be the right thing, especially because I would like to take courses in another department to fortify another aspect of my project

- Anyone with experience in flexible starting dates? Will planning to start on a different date make my application weaker? The website says the preferred start date is August 1. However, many programs begin in the winter or in July.

- Has anyone else been asked to apply and be accepted to the affiliate institution before a letter will be written? I understood that a letter would say something like, "Pending acceptance to our hallowed institution, we will offer Siguenomas the following resources and support..." However, the affiliate with which I hope to work has asked me to apply for their program first. I have not been very good at asking for letters, and don't want to pester them. However, the deadline is coming up and a complete application would take some time, plus add an unanticipated burden to my referees.

- Is anyone willing to proofread my statements? :) I would love some feedback (and would be happy to proofread for others)!

Hi there,

I totally empathize with working (only PT for me, but I still feel it's a stretch!) and doing the app.

I'm applying to England, and I know for a fact they prefer people to be apply for Masters-- or rather, people who apply for Masters degrees with fee-waivered institutions are given preference, only because this is less financially stressful for the Fulbright organization.

As for the letter, I say try to get a letter from a professor-- usually they don't care whether you're accepted or not, they know how bureaucratic these things can be. I know people who applied to Master's programs who DIDN'T get letters from professors, however-- just acceptance letters from the institutions themselves were sufficient. I wish I could help you more with your questions, but one thing I am interested in is trading reading statements! (And with anyone else out there too). I'm applying at large since it's been more than 1 year since my graduation date, and my alma mater won't/can't help.

Good luck!

Me too. Been having a really hard time finding affiliations, and my FPA hasn't been answering my emails. So glad I'm not alone!

I'm in SUCH a funk! I haven't looked at my app for over two weeks, but have done so much work for it in the past. I'm having trouble getting excited about it again, like I once was. Any words of wisdom from personal experience?

I wish I could help you more with your questions, but one thing I am interested in is trading reading statements!

gchandra, I'll send you a message... :)

How are you all citing references? I'm doing endnotes right now because the numbers are smaller than typing out "Name (Date)." I cite two references.

Just got my second affiliation letter today...I submit the letters in a PDF formatt, its not much trouble. Waiting for my language eval and two more letters of recommendations and I wont be thinking about this bad boy for quite some time. The hard part about this process is that you are told you are a finalist and then have to way 4 or five months, to see if you've been selected. This time I am not going to care either way. Just get this application out and not think about it until January.

I would love to swap statements. I'm finishing my personal statement right now so I can send them both to you when I'm done! What country are you applying to?

If any ETAs want more feedback, I'm also willing to read some statements-- I'm currently an ETA in Germany and have quite a bit of free time this week.

PMed both of you. Many thanks in advance.

Yay for exchanging essays! If I were ETA I would-- I'm applying to an Anthro MA/MPhil program in the UK, though. I would love to exchange research SOP/PS with others though, I'm applying at-large and feel a bit overwhelmed by going solo. My alma mater as of last June is apparently swamped with apps.

UK-specific question, anyone? I really want to apply to SOAS in London, but it's NOT a fee-waivered institution. The UK page clearly states that preference will be given to people who apply to fee-waivered institutions. I know people apply to several institutions for the UK, fee-waivered and not, but I'm thinking about what I want my "primary" affiliation to be. I want to follow my heart, but also increase my chances. Advice anyone?

Also, I'm a bit behind on the ballgame. I JUST completed a draft of my SOP, sans references or stats, and have yet to embark on my PS. I'm waiting to hear back from both my university affiliate and cultural institution affiliate for a formal letter. AAAAH! Any help?

Thank you in advance! : ) Good luck to everyone!

Yay for exchanging essays! If I were ETA I would-- I'm applying to an Anthro MA/MPhil program in the UK, though. I would love to exchange research SOP/PS with others though, I'm applying at-large and feel a bit overwhelmed by going solo. My alma mater as of last June is apparently swamped with apps.

UK-specific question, anyone? I really want to apply to SOAS in London, but it's NOT a fee-waivered institution. The UK page clearly states that preference will be given to people who apply to fee-waivered institutions. I know people apply to several institutions for the UK, fee-waivered and not, but I'm thinking about what I want my "primary" affiliation to be. I want to follow my heart, but also increase my chances. Advice anyone?

Also, I'm a bit behind on the ballgame. I JUST completed a draft of my SOP, sans references or stats, and have yet to embark on my PS. I'm waiting to hear back from both my university affiliate and cultural institution affiliate for a formal letter. AAAAH! Any help?

Thank you in advance! : ) Good luck to everyone!

gchandra, I would be happy to swap essays with you. I am not sure how much help I can be with the research grant SOP, but I would be more than happy to swap the PS when you are ready.

I hope you get some answers to your other questions. Good luck with your application!

I am really having heart palpitations over my last reference because she still hasn't submitted her letter and our campus submission deadline is on Monday! There is no leniency in the deadline... and if I'm one reference short, who knows what that will do to my chances? I sent her a reminder on Sunday... no response... I sent another reminder just now... hopefully she'll get it in! I am freaking out a bit, must say.

I'm in SUCH a funk! I haven't looked at my app for over two weeks, but have done so much work for it in the past. I'm having trouble getting excited about it again, like I once was. Any words of wisdom from personal experience?

I hear ya. I would suggest thinking about why you're passionate about your project and reminding yourself that the Fulbright is a means of getting you closer to future goals. Personally, I had to put my app on pause for now because I received an ideal full-time job with a specific time contract. If I won a Fulbright, it would conflict with my contract. That being said, don't forget that you can apply for a Fulbright until you receive a PhD -- so if you lose your inspiration, change your mind, or get rejected, there is nothing stopping you from trying again! :)

Is anyone else having a problem with the Embark Online Application?

I'm currently trying to put the final touches on my ETA Morocco app to turn into my University tomorrow. However, every time I click "save" it takes me to a blank white page that says in big black letters "Service Unavailable"

Is anyone else having this problem? Starting to get worried the app will flake out on me tonight and I won't be able to print it out for tomorrow...

(P.S. I've tried using both Safari and Firefox... doesn't make a difference...)