Fulbright 2011-2012

crimsonengineer87

SUPER NERVOUS!! Except: we got an email saying that even if we can't attend the interview because of a conflict with class, it wouldn't count against us... so maybe the interview actually isn't that important. It's only 15-20 minutes after all...

SUPER NERVOUS!! Except: we got an email saying that even if we can't attend the interview because of a conflict with class, it wouldn't count against us... so maybe the interview actually isn't that important. It's only 15-20 minutes after all...

Don't be nervous! Crimson said his experience wasn't too bad, more helpful than scary!

I also had my interview today. I feel like it went well, but who knows. I had to explain the merits and rationale behind qualitative research, but once I identified its place and purpose, the quantitative people seemed okay. I asked what needed to be improved and there wasn't much feedback...so I guess that's good.

Hi guys. Glad I found this board. I'm applying for an eta this application cycle and I'm at large, so my app isn't due for another two weeks. I was wondering if I could ask some advice about one of the points that we are supposed to address in our essays. One of the main goals of the program is for scholars to promote cross-cultural interaction and mutual understanding, both in the country where they are based and upon return to the us. My career plans after fulbright are, at least for several years, to work with an ngo or government agency in the country to which I'm applying - in other words, I won't be returning to the us immediately after the fulbright except for short periods of time. So I'm kind of at a loss as for how to address my contribution in the us. Is anyone in a similar situation or have any tips?

Thanks, and best of luck to all.

My interview in 09 was great because I was basically interviewed by my advisor along with two other faculty members in other disciplines. The most important thing to remember is that the interview is basically a way for the school to write you a recommendation letter. The fact they are working with you is a sign that they want you to get it, so there is no way they would jeapordize that with a horrible letter of rec. However, your interview can introduce additional elements that may make the letter of rec. better than it would have been if they didn't meet you and ask you questions. Do not be nervous about it, instead just think of all the things that you want them to know about you and your application, so that they can include it in the letter. I have my interview at my new school tomorrow and supposedly 13 faculty members and chairs of depts. are supposed to show up. Now to anyone that would be nervewrecking, but somehow to me it isn't. The way I prepare is how am I going to explain my project to a group of people who have read it and want to make the best comments about it. The best things to do is highlight how you were born to do this sort of research, and that you have extensively planned each and every way that it could go wrong, and how will you account for it.

Good luck everyone.

P.S This process is the least nerve-wrecking part of the fulbright, wait until January and April. I am sure most of you will remember Fulbright telephone numbers and repeadetly call them 24/7 asking if you got it or not. Always remember that this process makes us all stronger.

GOOD LUCK!

Hey guys just joined the forum, glad I found it just in time :) Here's a quick question, I know it's random but how did you guys fill in your Extracurricular Activities on the Application? Did you just list each activity and date, or did you give a few words about which each activity entailed? There isn't much space, I just don't know how I should fill it in the right way. Also, most of my extra-curricular's happened while I was in college- clubs and what not (I'm a recent grad) this should be okay right?

And if I don't know the language, what is the difference between question 5 and 6 on the Language Background Report? How did those of you in similair positions differentiate your answers? I feel like the questions are asking pretty much the same thing. Feedback?

Hello I am considering applying to the IE program next year. However, I did not think the proposal needed to be in spanish as well. Did you receive any info on the stats? Also how did you approach the statement of purpose since this is a set program. Any help would be great. Hope your application went well. You can email me directly at sterndisc@gmail.com, thanks!

Hello Everyone!

I found this forum while looking for last years statistics... I just got done reading all 50 pages of last year's posts. They're really quite informative... I learned a lot about the program I'm interested in by reading them. It also plays out like a real time Soap Opera haha! Having applied for the JET program to Japan I can totally relate to the whole waiting thing. Thankfully I don't have to do that for Fulbright yet.

I'm applying to the Spain MBA program at IE business school in Madrid. I've completed the english version of my proposal (took about 6 drafts) and I've prepared my application packet to the school itself. I've lined up all of my letters of recommendation, one of which has already filled it out :-D I started this whole thing back in April. I'd love to hear if anyone knows how many people applied to this particular Spanish program last year - the official page has a blank space where the number should be. Also any adivce is greatly appreciated! I loved zymurgist's post, but I'm not sure how much that applies to the MBA program as it is a set program that you follow... not research based at all.

I look forward to getting to know everyone on here over the next year!

Cheers!

Skyfire

Hey guys just joined the forum, glad I found it just in time :) Here's a quick question, I know it's random but how did you guys fill in your Extracurricular Activities on the Application? Did you just list each activity and date, or did you give a few words about which each activity entailed? There isn't much space, I just don't know how I should fill it in the right way. Also, most of my extra-curricular's happened while I was in college- clubs and what not (I'm a recent grad) this should be okay right?

And if I don't know the language, what is the difference between question 5 and 6 on the Language Background Report? How did those of you in similair positions differentiate your answers? I feel like the questions are asking pretty much the same thing. Feedback?

5 sounds more like the language is RARELY or NOT taught at all in the US, such as Farsi or like Sanskritt (sp?), whereas 6 sounds like the language is widely available through coursework and such and is asking how you are getting yourself up to a level of proficiency (like 5, but 6 involves languages commonly taught in the US). Since I'm applying to Germany, I left both blank ... which I hope is right ...

Does that help?

5 sounds more like the language is RARELY or NOT taught at all in the US, such as Farsi or like Sanskritt (sp?), whereas 6 sounds like the language is widely available through coursework and such and is asking how you are getting yourself up to a level of proficiency (like 5, but 6 involves languages commonly taught in the US). Since I'm applying to Germany, I left both blank ... which I hope is right ...

Does that help?

I wrote to Jody about it and she wrote back:

"4. Asks you to list courses you have taken. 5. Ask you to describe non-course methods of learning the language to date. 6. Ask future plans for learning"

Crimson, I originally thought the same thing as you, that 5 is for languages rarely taught, and 6 are for languages commonly taught, so I would just have to answer one of the two... but Jody's answer is totally different.. Hmmmm

I'm applying to Brazil so the language in question is Portuguese.

I've passed to another round!!!!!

My papers are going to be sent abroad, so here it goes : 2-3 months of waiting!

But, still, I am so proud of myself!wub.gif

Edited by matilda

I wrote to Jody about it and she wrote back:

"4. Asks you to list courses you have taken. 5. Ask you to describe non-course methods of learning the language to date. 6. Ask future plans for learning"

Crimson, I originally thought the same thing as you, that 5 is for languages rarely taught, and 6 are for languages commonly taught, so I would just have to answer one of the two... but Jody's answer is totally different.. Hmmmm

I'm applying to Brazil so the language in question is Portuguese.

So if my country is Germany, but German language is not required for my project, should I still fill out 5 and 6? I filled out 4 with the course I've taken for my minor ...

Hi guys. Glad I found this board. I'm applying for an eta this application cycle and I'm at large, so my app isn't due for another two weeks. I was wondering if I could ask some advice about one of the points that we are supposed to address in our essays. One of the main goals of the program is for scholars to promote cross-cultural interaction and mutual understanding, both in the country where they are based and upon return to the us. My career plans after fulbright are, at least for several years, to work with an ngo or government agency in the country to which I'm applying - in other words, I won't be returning to the us immediately after the fulbright except for short periods of time. So I'm kind of at a loss as for how to address my contribution in the us. Is anyone in a similar situation or have any tips?

Thanks, and best of luck to all.

U.S. government agency? or a government agency in the host country? If it's a U.S. government agency, well then the answer is easy... you'll bring back your newfound cultural understanding and apply it to your U.S. government work!

U.S. government agency? or a government agency in the host country? If it's a U.S. government agency, well then the answer is easy... you'll bring back your newfound cultural understanding and apply it to your U.S. government work!

Well, it would most likely be an ngo, but if a government agency then a turkish one...so either way, I would be working in turkey and not the states.

Well, it would most likely be an ngo, but if a government agency then a turkish one...so either way, I would be working in turkey and not the states.

Hmm, that's tricky... I don't know... if I were you, I'd drop the stuff about hopefully one day being able to live/work in Turkey as a definitive goal. They already know you want to live and work in Turkey, that's why you're applying for the Fulbright, right?

Maybe you could word it in a different way. Remember, the FSOs at the American embassy in Turkey will have a big say in your final decision. Maybe you could go along the lines of saying how you'd like to get involved in public diplomacy or something... something that will involve improving U.S.-Turkish relations (not just on a national level, but if you're working for an NGO on the grassroots level) they eat that stuff up. I talked to a lot of FSOs when I worked at the State department and they told me all this stuff.

That's the kind of method I used when writing my application, luckily I actually do want to work in public diplomacy, so the Fulbright is perfect for me! Good luck!

Edited by jazzz

Hey Everyone,

Congrats to those already done! I'm applying at large, so I have a couple days yet to put finishing touches my essays.

Are any other at-largers interested in trading personal and/or grant statements? I'm definitely interested for any and all opportunities to share feedback! FYI, I'm applying for a Master's in Anthropology to the UK.

Best wishes to all : )

Last minute questions!

1) Did you guys put a different thing for the "future plans" text box than you addressed in your PS/SGP's? Torn between being a bit redundant and capitalizing on extra space!

2) My faculty sponsor didn't put her letter on official letterhead. Is this necessary?

umm, more to follow probz.