Fulbright 2011-2012

crimsonengineer87

Thanks Crimson. I must say, I appreciate having a place to ask questions and advice of people in the same circumstance without there being competitiveness and all that nasty stuff. Thanks everyone....

Thanks Crimson. I must say, I appreciate having a place to ask questions and advice of people in the same circumstance without there being competitiveness and all that nasty stuff. Thanks everyone....

No problem. I mean, we are in different fields AND apply to different countries. I mean, I did take out the city/university I'm studying at, but I mean that isn't even necessary for it. The structure and content is there and will be very helpful! Feel free to use my phrasing, but of course, don't mention the nitrogen cycle! Haha.

BEST.MORNING.EVER. I woke up to find an email from professor at a university (whose email I got from the former fulbrighter I stalked) and she said she would be happy to write a letter of support for me!!!!! Well, she said she if very busy, so I should send her a draft. Crimson FTW! I will be writing my own letter today, and I will make sure not to include any engineering stuff or nitrogen cycles (what's that, lol). It feels good, the letters of support were my only trouble spot, and now I have at least 1 letter of support! Hurray!!!!!

Does anyone know if the electronic letter of recommendation must be signed before uploading? I have one letter of reference ready to go, but wasn't sure if the person who wrote it would need to print it, sign it, scan it and then upload into the electronic application...Any thoughts?

Does anyone know if the electronic letter of recommendation must be signed before uploading? I have one letter of reference ready to go, but wasn't sure if the person who wrote it would need to print it, sign it, scan it and then upload into the electronic application...Any thoughts?

Anytime you are unsure of something, email the guys at Fulbright. They are very prompt with returning emails. Here is the website for the affiliation:

http://us.fulbrightonline.org/preparing_affiliation.html

It doesn't explicitly say a signature is required, but that is what I'm doing. Basically they will print out the letter on letterhead, sign it, re-scan it as a PDF, and send it back to me. Personally, I think it seems way more legit that this affiliation really wants you by signing it. Otherwise, anyone could just draft up a letter (like I did) with that person's name etc.

But, please do email them.

I've gotten very lucky in the sense that all the professors I've been in contact with at the schools I'm applying to have been so incredibly nice about writing letters -- I actually am getting five letters of support: I'm applying to three schools, and have a potential adviser at each writing a letter, and the department heads at two of the schools are also writing letters!! Couldn't be happier about this. UK is such a competitive country for Fulbright, I think that the more support I have for my grant application the better!!

5 letters! Wow, I am jealous. I am thrilled about my one letter! Though I am assuming that the professional use of email in the UK is on-par with the US...unlike Vietnam!

The poster was asking about letters of recommendation, though. With those, I do not think it matters if it is signed or not, since the recommender uploads the letter from themselves. Assuming that the email you provide is a .edu there shouldn't be question of its authenticity.

(I reread my last sentence, because I counldn't decide if it was "a" or "an." I decided "a" since I read it "dot E-D-U"

5 letters! Wow, I am jealous. I am thrilled about my one letter! Though I am assuming that the professional use of email in the UK is on-par with the US...unlike Vietnam!

The poster was asking about letters of recommendation, though. With those, I do not think it matters if it is signed or not, since the recommender uploads the letter from themselves. Assuming that the email you provide is a .edu there shouldn't be question of its authenticity.

(I reread my last sentence, because I counldn't decide if it was "a" or "an." I decided "a" since I read it "dot E-D-U"

OH! Good call, rachael. Yes, this is correct. Don't listen to my rantings - that was about letters of affiliation.

Here I am, being ridiculously geeked....have one letter of affiliation settled, some leads on a few others. Super exciting. Then an evil thought creeped into my head. I won't have a decision until MARCH (if I make it past the first round, and if I am from a lucky country!) to as late as JUNE....I could be waiting 11 months to get closure. Whaaa whaaa!

Don't worry! It will all work out in the end!!

I happen to be applying to a country where people are quick with e-mail, so I'm sure you will hear in due course (well before the deadline and all that) and all will be well!!

We'll all be fine. Yeah, we won't officially know until March and later on, but think about the other milestones: submitting it all and getting it over with in October and then finding if you're a finalist or whatever in January! Now that's exciting.

But, I do feel your pain .... I hate waiting. It's the worst thing ever.

What I did last year when applying to grad schools and fellowships and such, I ended up forgetting about everything b/c of schoolwork etc. But I started watching way more TV shows in the evening: THE OFFICE, Parks and Rec, and GLEE. Not sure if you're a fan of these shows, but they helped me through! Haha.

Sorry to change the topic a little. Does anyone know of sources that would give potential ideas for the side projects that ETA's conduct? Does the application committee prefer if it is community service oriented?

Sorry to change the topic a little. Does anyone know of sources that would give potential ideas for the side projects that ETA's conduct? Does the application committee prefer if it is community service oriented?

hi lele,

If you go to Fulbright's own blog: http://usfulbrightstudent.blogspot.com/, the first entry is from a Fulbrighter who talks about what the "side-project" should entail. I didn't read into it very much, but it is very difficult to put an example to it. Listening to the webinar today, a guy said that it is really hard to talk about a specific project for ETA when you don't know where you'll actually be placed in the country. So you need to be general and specific at the same time. However, I think the advice this Fulbrighter makes is very valid.

I will post the following "universal points" the poster makes about ETA projects:

• Is your project appropriate for the country to which you are applying? If so, why?
  • How does the project align with your expertise?
  • Who are the stakeholders in your project? If your project involves community members, how many participants do you aim to have? What is the age group? How will you attract participants? How does it benefit them?
  • What are the resources necessary to undertake your project? (Physical location? Art supplies? Computers or Internet connection?) And how would you go about ensuring that these resource needs would be met or overcome? (Additional non-Fulbright funding? Personal out-of-pocket funds? Jettisoning an online component?)
  • Where would the project take place? (In a school classroom? In a community center? In a park? In your host country apartment?)
  • When and for how long would the project take place? (How many weeks? How many days per week? How many hours per day? Will the project coincide with your placement school’s academic calendar?)
  • What will be the tangible outcome of your project? (Student projects? Theatrical productions? Artwork?)
  • Who is the audience for your project? How large is that audience?
  • How does your project promote the Fulbright Program’s mission of promoting cultural exchange and mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of other countries?

- from US Fulbright Student Blog

I hope that helps.

Hi everyone! I'm procrastinating working on my Fulbright application by reading through this thread. Go figure.

I don't have much to add except to say: hello, I'm Lola, and I'm applying for a research Fulbright to Poland.

I'm curious, are most people here applying their senior year of undergrad, or already in graduate school?

Welcome Lola!

I am a big nerd. I am working on my PhD, I have a year left of coursework....oh, and I have 2 other master's degrees. I REALLY like school.

Edited by rachaelski

hey mbv,

Do you go to WSU? I read further up and it said you were a vet student, so I want to assume you're at our vet school. Yes, WSU isn't THE BEST. Where did you get your undergrad?

For me, I've found the Fulbright advising pretty good. Sarah Ann Hones has good advice, but I've mostly been using my German professor who was also a Fulbrighter herself. So I may not be able to give the best advice. If you're willing to share where you got your undergrad, I might have a better opinion, albeit still biased.

How was the communication been between the two different schools, since you stated you've been in contact with both? If you are at WSU, talking in-person with Sarah on campus would be much easier. And I find in-person talks really helpful at times, although receiving edits through email is also helpful as well.

I hope that didn't further muddy the waters ...

Thanks for your advice. Yeah I go to WSU as well; I hope my first post didn't sound too snobby about WSU! I'm not in Pullman this summer so that adds to the complication...because I can't meet with anyone in person for the time being!

Anyways, I'm still trying to decide between affiliation with WSU or with Tufts University. The Fulbright program to which I'm applying is brand new this year and no one really seems to know much about it. The Tufts people were a little more helpful in digging up info for me, but the Fulbright coordinators at both school have been attentive in their correspondence.

Hi everyone! I'm procrastinating working on my Fulbright application by reading through this thread. Go figure.

I don't have much to add except to say: hello, I'm Lola, and I'm applying for a research Fulbright to Poland.

I'm curious, are most people here applying their senior year of undergrad, or already in graduate school?

Hey Lola! Welcome to our thread! I just got my bachelors in civil engineering and am starting grad work right now for my masters ... and maybe PhD. I'm still mulling the PhD over ... it just sounds way too long in school ... especially in Pullman, which is in the middle of wheatfields ... but we'll see ...

Good luck on your application and we are here to help!

Julian

Edited by crimsonengineer87

Welcome Lola!

I am a big nerd. I am working on my PhD, I have a year left of coursework....oh, and I have 2 other master's degrees. I REALLY like school.

WOW! That is REALLY impressive. What are your two master's degree in and what do you want to do after you finish your PhD and the Fulbright?

Hi Lola! Welcome!

I graduated in May with a BS in Neuroscience. I'm still exploring options, but am pretty certain I'll be applying for a research grant to Spain. In the future I plan on pursuing a Master's in Public Health and then a Ph.D. in Medical Anthropology. As far as topics go, I'm looking at social psychology and cultural competence in healthcare. (I really like school too :) )

WOW! That is REALLY impressive. What are your two master's degree in and what do you want to do after you finish your PhD and the Fulbright?

I have a Master's of Arts in International Affairs (MAIA) and a Master's of Art in Teaching (MAT). I got the MAT when I was in Teach for America, because the difference between teacher certification and a Master's degree is 3 classes or something. It seemed silly NOT to get the degree. My PhD is in education, but within a specialized department that focuses on sociocultural elements of education. My MAIA was in an area studies program, Southeast Asian Studies. Between that, enveloping my dissertation into SEA studies by using Vietnam as a research site, and hopefully doing a post-grad semester at the East West Center, I am hoping to not only be qualified to teach in colleges of education, but also in Asian Studies/Area Studies/etc. Trying to make the dream of being a professor more likely!

Edited by rachaelski