Fulbright 2011-2012

crimsonengineer87

I just met with the Fulbright advisor at my school. He said besides some minor tweaks, that my essays are ready to go! Also, he says that advisors and committees can really tell when an applicant has put time and effort into their essays. So everyone, keep on working hard....it will be worth it when we are in Germany, Albania, Vietnam, and where-ever else!

Hi everyone,

I'm Carla. I'm glad to find this group. I'm applying for an ETA to Turkey.

Is there another forum as well or is this the main one for help and advice?

There's a thread for the previous application year, but I am not sure if there is anything else on other sites. If you finds something, make sure you share! And welcome!

Has anyone been able to find good examples of the ETA statement of grant purpose?

Duke's fulbright page has SOP and Personal Statements of successful applicants. I believe they include ETAs.

There's a thread for the previous application year, but I am not sure if there is anything else on other sites. If you finds something, make sure you share! And welcome!

Hi rachaelski,

Thanks! I'm partially through last years thread. Also thanks for the tip on the Duke website. It has been helpful :)

hey guys. was an alternate last year. if anyone wants to exchange personal statements/projects i'd love to look over others and get feedback on my own. i'm applying for australia.

I can probably read it over the weekend, if you would like. Send me a private message, and I will send you my email address.

I hope everyone is enjoying the first weeks of school. I certainly am! I only went to school part-time last year (and taught full-time, middle school!), so it has been a joy to be a full-time student again.

My application is going well. Just finishing up ordering transcripts and whatnot.

I need some advice. In order to acquire my letter of support, a friend put me in contact with her friend in my research country. This person has gone above and beyond to help me get a letter of support. She sought out a professor, translated my research proposal and personal statement into Vietnamese, and she is translating my letter of support to English. She has been an amazing help with the process. In the future, she wants me to help her find schools with PhD programs in Education Psychology (her area of work), and while I certainly will help her, I want to do something else. I will most likely meet her in November, when I go to Hanoi for a research conference. What would be something nice to show my appreciation for all her help? Obviously I will take her to dinner, but I want to get her a small gift of some sort. Any ideas? Has anyone else had a person that has helped them significantly?

What should one do if one of their referees goes a bit MIA? One of my referees is usually very quick with email, but I haven't heard back from him in a month or so regarding reading my thesis for my grad-school applications and writing my letter for Fulbright! Yikes. I hope he's alright, but I'm not sure what to do now in terms of getting my third letter! He did confirm his registration on the Fulbright website a while back.

What should one do if one of their referees goes a bit MIA? One of my referees is usually very quick with email, but I haven't heard back from him in a month or so regarding reading my thesis for my grad-school applications and writing my letter for Fulbright! Yikes. I hope he's alright, but I'm not sure what to do now in terms of getting my third letter! He did confirm his registration on the Fulbright website a while back.

I think if it's been a month, it's okay to send a friendly reminder email. The deadline for Fulbright isn't until October, but if you have your own deadline (mine is September 15th), state that and post the link again, attach relevant documents, etc so that he or she can be reminded and start working on it if she/he lost the docs.

It wouldn't hurt to call either. I know people usually don't call but phone still does exist. Also, going to the person's office and talking to him or her in person (if that's possible) is truly an amazing experience. Haha.

Hope that helps.

Just some info that comes to mind...if you are selected as a Finalist, the Selection Comittee in the US sends 1.5x more than the number of grants given. For example, if country x gives out 2 award, the Comittee recommends 4...However, the comittee also ranks them, so John is #1, Jane #2, Lucifer #3 and so on. I think that some countries just take the ranking of US, especially if they are a small country. All of you who are applying for the Fulbright and want to conduct some sort of interviews and surveys, make sure that you state that you are getting Human Subjects approval form your university IRB, or else they will not accept you, since they want to make sure that you will protect the participants... If i get any more flashbacks I'll let you guys know.

P.S This is a stressful journey, because you don't find out for sure until late April

I think if it's been a month, it's okay to send a friendly reminder email. The deadline for Fulbright isn't until October, but if you have your own deadline (mine is September 15th), state that and post the link again, attach relevant documents, etc so that he or she can be reminded and start working on it if she/he lost the docs.

It wouldn't hurt to call either. I know people usually don't call but phone still does exist. Also, going to the person's office and talking to him or her in person (if that's possible) is truly an amazing experience. Haha.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the advice! He surfaced today - Big sigh of relief! He's my only referee who hasn't submitted his/her letter yet, but now that I know that he's at least checking his email and has computer access, I'm confident he'll get to it on time. Our campus deadline is Sept 13... It's coming SO SOON! YIKES!!

For our campus deadlines, do we need to submit all our documents to our campus advisers, or do they just have access to our applications on the Fulbright website? I figure they just go on the Fulbright website and have access (there is that section where we have to enter our adviser's email address) ...

For our campus deadlines, do we need to submit all our documents to our campus advisers, or do they just have access to our applications on the Fulbright website? I figure they just go on the Fulbright website and have access (there is that section where we have to enter our adviser's email address) ...

I think universities do different things for the campus part of the Fulbright. My campus adviser simply wanted me to send her my statement of grant purpose, personal statement, and scanned copy of my transcript. I asked if she wanted letters of affiliation or recommendation, but the the campus committee will just evaluate projects based on those three documents and an interview. So I think it'd be best to ask to make sure. Don't assume! You know what that makes you and me!

Good luck everyone!

I hope everyone is enjoying the first weeks of school. I certainly am! I only went to school part-time last year (and taught full-time, middle school!), so it has been a joy to be a full-time student again.

My application is going well. Just finishing up ordering transcripts and whatnot.

I need some advice. In order to acquire my letter of support, a friend put me in contact with her friend in my research country. This person has gone above and beyond to help me get a letter of support. She sought out a professor, translated my research proposal and personal statement into Vietnamese, and she is translating my letter of support to English. She has been an amazing help with the process. In the future, she wants me to help her find schools with PhD programs in Education Psychology (her area of work), and while I certainly will help her, I want to do something else. I will most likely meet her in November, when I go to Hanoi for a research conference. What would be something nice to show my appreciation for all her help? Obviously I will take her to dinner, but I want to get her a small gift of some sort. Any ideas? Has anyone else had a person that has helped them significantly?

Books are always a good gift, especially if they relate to something in your field, or just a fun gift. Does she live in Vietnam? If so, maybe a trinket from your hometown/state would be nice showing that your appreciate their work. For instance, when I went to Germany for a three-month internship, I brought back a myriad of different gifts to my German professor who helped me get the position. I brought her back chocolates from Belgium (they were all melted by the time I got back to the states - she said something about freezing the chocolate and cutting them up into blocks again? I'm not sure - it was in German!), a musical cow from Switzerland, some mini-stein thing from Austria, and something from Berlin, I can't remember. But something that either relates you to her (your fields of study) or something Vietnamese from here (US) would be nice. Maybe a book and something quirky (or classic) from a gift shop would be nice ...

Hmm I hope that helped ... I tend to muddy the waters more ...