Fulbright 2011-2012

crimsonengineer87

Does anyone know if we have to send hard copies of our transcripts, in addition to uploading them to the e-application?

Hmm, it seems for now, we just need to scan transcripts from all levels of our educations (ie undergrad, grad):

http://us.fulbrightonline.org/instructions_transcriptupload.html

But if we get the Fulbright, we'll be expected to send them hard copies to prove that we actually took those classes, etc.

From what I read. Hmm.

Fulbright is my friend these days! I ended up getting a second contact for a letter of affiliation (not sure if I mentioned that), so now I have one in both the cities where I want to research. That's great....and I just found out that the first person who agreed to write a letter of support USED to be a professor at a top education school in Vietnam....NOW she is the VP of Research and International Relations at a well-received private university....WOW!!!!!

How many letters of support is sufficient? Should I try to seek out more than 2?

Fulbright is my friend these days! I ended up getting a second contact for a letter of affiliation (not sure if I mentioned that), so now I have one in both the cities where I want to research. That's great....and I just found out that the first person who agreed to write a letter of support USED to be a professor at a top education school in Vietnam....NOW she is the VP of Research and International Relations at a well-received private university....WOW!!!!!

How many letters of support is sufficient? Should I try to seek out more than 2?

That is great! Hmm, I don't know how many would be sufficient. Are you going to be affiliated with all 2 or 3? Or will you choose one, once you actually get the Fulbright? Does that make sense?

I think I am in a Fulbright funk....haven't worked on my application for over a week. Will have to hit it hard next week when I am home from vacay (I am visiting family and my friend from grad school and I am currently in the coffee shop that was my second home during graduate school). I am meeting with my thesis advisor for dinner, but it will probably be more social that fulbright related!

Anyone else in a funk/slump?

I think I am in a Fulbright funk....haven't worked on my application for over a week. Will have to hit it hard next week when I am home from vacay (I am visiting family and my friend from grad school and I am currently in the coffee shop that was my second home during graduate school). I am meeting with my thesis advisor for dinner, but it will probably be more social that fulbright related!

I'm in a biiiig slump. I think I'm going to restart, this time with a more detailed outline of talking points so that I don't get off track.

Me too. Been having a really hard time finding affiliations, and my FPA hasn't been answering my emails. So glad I'm not alone!

Just a heads up to people going through their campus advisor. If you have some sort of faculty committee meeting to go through (ie a bunch of faculty will look at your SOP, letters), I suggest acting as if you were really interviewing for the Fulbright. Apparently someone on the past year's committee told me they "ranked" or did something to our projects. And that score apparently is also seen by the actual Fulbright committee, but we don't see them. I know at my school we let everyone through, but I know at certain universities, these committees are the first step. Either way, make it professional and your best!

I am definitely in a Fulbright funk. I am applying for the Taiwan ETA and my campus deadline is next week! I got confused and thought the personal statement and statement of grant purpose were the same thing...took me awhile to figure out why it was so hard to fit everything on one page. I haven't substantially turned the one essay into two good essays. I haven't even filled out the entire application online. So much to do in so little time...!

How's it going for everyone these days? My app is going well... Just waiting for my reference letters to get submitted. Woohoo, Fulbright!

I filled out most of the online application, and then left it like a month ago. Haha. I've been sooo lazy. But now, I realize how many more applications for fellowships I need to fill out, but at least the Fulbright is pretty much in the bag after starting early! So yeah, just waiting on those letters of rec!

I am feeling pretty good about everything. Big picture, I am getting more and more drawn into my research plan, which is great, since it is my dissertation! If I don't get the fulbright, I am easily able to convert my research plan to being done in the US only. In fact, I will be going to the very first school I taught in at the beginning of October to conduct a pilot study! It's bittersweet, because I get to work with the kids I taught during my first year of teaching, and work towards my larger goal of a PhD. Plus, I have talked about my topic so much, done quite a bit of background reading, etc. I am so inspired by my research. Life is good. Like Crimson, I am so happy I got a lot of the work done during the early part of the summer!

Rachael

I am back on the Fulbright wagon after being selected an Alternate to Albania..What a long ride that was...I hope all of you have a lot of patience, because it is a long ride

Were you an alternate that did not get selected for this year and you are reapplying? Either way, welcome. I bet you have a lot of good advice to offer.

Were you an alternate that did not get selected for this year and you are reapplying? Either way, welcome. I bet you have a lot of good advice to offer.

The worst part about anything is the waiting. Applying for something and that wait. But I think we can all pull through.

And yes, I also agree with rach, if the above statement is true. You can mos' def offer us some great advice. Please don't hesitate! We're all ears!

Well the country that I applied to was Albania. The previous year only 5 had applied for 2 spots. It happened that the year that I applied there there were 12 for 3 spots. It seemed as if most of the applicants were studying something of cultural value, while I applied to study Domestic violence. When I found I was an Alternate was beginning of May and I was torn between waiting and finding a job. Some countries you hear earlier and other take a long time. The most important advice I could give is to be really detailed in your purpose of study. There should not be a sentence that is filler. I would suggest writing 5 pages and cutting it down to two pages, to really be specific.

What are you going to study

How

With who

why do you need to be in that country

Time frame of study

When I applied I had two letters of affiliation from big names in research, but that didn't help. I think what hurt me was that I was born in Albania, and I guess they wanted to send someone who had never been there. But prepared to face some hard competition with some extraordinary people. Search through all of the projects that have ever been granted, look people's names on facebook and send them some questions.

Last but not least: Most countries love to hear from US scholars, if you have trouble reaching people have your professors send an email stating that they have a student who is interested in working with them. Most of the people I have emailed are thrilled to have researchers who they do nt have to worry about funding and who might actually contribute to something.

I was an alternate for 2009...I am in graduate school now, so hopefully I'll have a stronger case...

Will you apply to Albania again with the same project?

I'm also assuming that you will be excellent candidate if you've started graduate school. At least you have delved somewhat into the research, which according to a former Fulbrighter from Germany and professor of mine, is good to have.

I have delved into a lot more research and am more prepared to carry it out. I think that the Fulbright comitte might have saw that my project might have been a little too ambiious with some gaps in methodlogy. I also think they give preference to graduate students when it comes to empirical research especially in the social sciences, wheras they are not too concerned about former undergrads doing manuscipt work or some other ethnographic research

I have delved into a lot more research and am more prepared to carry it out. I think that the Fulbright comitte might have saw that my project might have been a little too ambiious with some gaps in methodlogy. I also think they give preference to graduate students when it comes to empirical research especially in the social sciences, wheras they are not too concerned about former undergrads doing manuscipt work or some other ethnographic research

P.S My project was on examining the differences between Urban and Rural Domestic violence, but I think I might change it to cigarette smuggling

Well the country that I applied to was Albania. The previous year only 5 had applied for 2 spots. It happened that the year that I applied there there were 12 for 3 spots. It seemed as if most of the applicants were studying something of cultural value, while I applied to study Domestic violence. When I found I was an Alternate was beginning of May and I was torn between waiting and finding a job. Some countries you hear earlier and other take a long time. The most important advice I could give is to be really detailed in your purpose of study. There should not be a sentence that is filler. I would suggest writing 5 pages and cutting it down to two pages, to really be specific.

What are you going to study

How

With who

why do you need to be in that country

Time frame of study

When I applied I had two letters of affiliation from big names in research, but that didn't help. I think what hurt me was that I was born in Albania, and I guess they wanted to send someone who had never been there. But prepared to face some hard competition with some extraordinary people. Search through all of the projects that have ever been granted, look people's names on facebook and send them some questions.

Last but not least: Most countries love to hear from US scholars, if you have trouble reaching people have your professors send an email stating that they have a student who is interested in working with them. Most of the people I have emailed are thrilled to have researchers who they do nt have to worry about funding and who might actually contribute to something.

Thanks for this information...make sure you are around right before the the school deadlines (mine is late September), I am sure I will have a bunch of panicked questions for you!

Will you apply to Albania again with the same project?

I'm also assuming that you will be excellent candidate if you've started graduate school. At least you have delved somewhat into the research, which according to a former Fulbrighter from Germany and professor of mine, is good to have.

I hope this is true...research experience I have!

P.S My project was on examining the differences between Urban and Rural Domestic violence, but I think I might change it to cigarette smuggling

That sounds interesting. Please let me know if you would like someone to read your proposal over, I would be glad to offer some feedback. That goes for anyone on here...since there are so few of us dedicated Fulbright applicants on the boards this early into the game....

That sounds interesting. Please let me know if you would like someone to read your proposal over, I would be glad to offer some feedback. That goes for anyone on here...since there are so few of us dedicated Fulbright applicants on the boards this early into the game....

rachael, I might need to take your offer. My campus deadline is Sept 1st. I've had lots of profs from different fields read it, but not really like another peer. I actually that's also helpful, since we understand each other's situations more? Plus, the fact that we all represent different fields is excellent, since the committee will be definitely made up of people from all sorts of disciplines ...

rachael, I might need to take your offer. My campus deadline is Sept 1st. I've had lots of profs from different fields read it, but not really like another peer. I actually that's also helpful, since we understand each other's situations more? Plus, the fact that we all represent different fields is excellent, since the committee will be definitely made up of people from all sorts of disciplines ...

Send it to me! I will PM you my email. This week is good for me, since it's the week before school starts.