Fulbright 2011-2012

crimsonengineer87

Talking about it with you guys, plus with my advisor has my interests piqued. Maybe I just forgot about the application for a while. Imagine that!! Remember when we thought the Oct-Jan wait was FOREVER? Bahahahaha

Nope , Oct-Jan isn't forever at all. Forever is 11 January to end January 2011!!! *sob*

Okay, now that I've thought about it....the 31st is FOREVER away. AGhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I wanna know! My husband and I talked more about the FB, and now I am totally excited and want it. I wanna be a bad-ass FB scholar!!!!

I am applying for the research FB to Finland. I was notified of making it past the first round in late December when they asked for my passport.

Congratulations! I didn't know they notified people in December already???? Color me less optimistic now.

Congratulations! I didn't know they notified people in December already???? Color me less optimistic now.

I think this is an exception, not a rule, so I wouldn't be too worried about it... That being said, I bet you were waaaay surprised and delighted to have gotten your notice so early! :D

I don't think they were "officially" notifying me. I got a phone call that woke me up that was a wrong number. Then 30 seconds later my phone rang again and my girlfriend told me to ignore it, but I picked it up anyway. It was someone whose name starts with a V from Fulbright (iie?) and they asked if I would send a copy of my passport. I was happy to oblige and asked if this meant that I got the Fulbright (I had no idea about the dates)? She said, "Let's just say that you made it past the first stage" and giggled a bit.

When were most people notified? I just assumed this was standard for a research FB.

Edit: And yeah--I called everyone who could possibly care including a few of my professors whose cell numbers I had.

Edited by Jonhecht89

It's Jan. 31 on the timeline. We are all waiting.

I don't think they were "officially" notifying me. I got a phone call that woke me up that was a wrong number. Then 30 seconds later my phone rang again and my girlfriend told me to ignore it, but I picked it up anyway. It was someone whose name starts with a V from Fulbright (iie?) and they asked if I would send a copy of my passport. I was happy to oblige and asked if this meant that I got the Fulbright (I had no idea about the dates)? She said, "Let's just say that you made it past the first stage" and giggled a bit.

When were most people notified? I just assumed this was standard for a research FB.

Edit: And yeah--I called everyone who could possibly care including a few of my professors whose cell numbers I had.

I thought Jan 31 was for making it past the final stage?

On Jan 31, applicants are told if they make it to the final stage, then between March and June finalists are told if they received the grant, if they are an alternate, or if they just didn't get it. The timing in the last step depends on the host country and their process of selecting scholars.

I thought Jan 31 was for making it past the final stage?

For everyone else, Jan 31st is the first stage. The final stage is around March-April. There's a spreadsheet from last year's Fulbrighters who received the first official letters for the final stage from Germany in early March.

http://us.fulbrightonline.org/overview_timeline.html

For everyone else, Jan 31st is the first stage. The final stage is around March-April. There's a spreadsheet from last year's Fulbrighters who received the first official letters for the final stage from Germany in early March.

http://us.fulbrighto...w_timeline.html

Baaaaaa! You beat me, I was looking up the timeline.

Baaaaaa! You beat me, I was looking up the timeline.

hee hee!

ARGHHH I HATE WAITING.

I'm also waiting on another travel grant I applied for that was supposed to announce results "by December 1st". I thought I didn't get it then their website says by "mid-January". I'm pretty sure mid-January is coming up like in two days. Haha.

hee hee!

ARGHHH I HATE WAITING.

I'm also waiting on another travel grant I applied for that was supposed to announce results "by December 1st". I thought I didn't get it then their website says by "mid-January". I'm pretty sure mid-January is coming up like in two days. Haha.

I'm fulbright obsessed again. I planned to apply for other stuff, but it just didnt happen. If I don't get past round 1, I will apply for some campus scholarship & fellowship stuff (actually I will do it either way). Can I just sleep for the next 2 weeks and wake up when the letters are emailed?

Eh, I just called my girlfriend to complain. Honestly, though, I am glad that I made it past the first stage given that I am coming from a not-prestigious large state school and have a low (3.4) GPA. I have a lot of solo research, though, that I've presented at a number of conferences and (I am told by my interviewers) had stellar letters. Even so, I thought I had no chance given my university and my GPA.

Edited by Jonhecht89

17 more days until fulbright ... wooooooooooooooooo! i've applied to the uk, so i feel like i probably have no chance ... my fulbright advisor said that uk final results will come out in late march/early april, but other countries might not release results until june ...

Edited by Melchior

If you want to think ahead to when you will receive the final notification, here is the spreadsheet that last year's Fulbrighters put together of when they received notifications and their countries, etc.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=taWW8xiKve1Tm6Ow6bHdhYA#gid=0 (click on the Notification tab at the bottom)

Eh, I just called my girlfriend to complain. Honestly, though, I am glad that I made it past the first stage given that I am coming from a not-prestigious large state school and have a low (3.4) GPA. I have a lot of solo research, though, that I've presented at a number of conferences and (I am told by my interviewers) had stellar letters. Even so, I thought I had no chance given my university and my GPA.

Wow, I applied to Finland too but haven't heard a peep so not thrilled to know they're already contacting people! Jon, what's your research area?

Hi all,

I am also a fellow ETA candidate to Deutschland. Was contacted a few weeks ago by Cara Doble to send in the PAD supplemental application. Anyone else get that email?

I applied to Germany for the full research grant, but haven't heard from them. What's the "PAD supplemental application"? Is that for ETA's?

I applied to Germany for the full research grant, but haven't heard from them. What's the "PAD supplemental application"? Is that for ETA's?

Heya Crimson,

The PAD = Paedgogischer AustauschDienst, so I'm thinking this application is only regarding ETA applicants. Apologies for the confusion! :)

Don't really have much of an idea what this means in regards to my standing. She had some cryptic words in her message, and, in general, I can see this being something every applicant would fill out.

The nature of the application, though, along with the deadline of February 28 AND their wanting to have this sent to both New York and Bonn makes me quite giddy. We'll see what happens.

Hope to get a better idea from you lovely folks!

-D

Edited by Damis