Fulbright 2011-2012

crimsonengineer87

It is always 1.5 the number of grant awarded. So for three grants, they will most likely select 4-5

I've read 1.5 to 2X the number of grants available. I don't think the ratio is set in stone for every country, though.

Friday!!! Wow.

However, for the ETA it is different. I know some people who were not selected for their primary country in the 2nd stage were offered a place in another country. The larger countries such as the UK tend to draft 2x of 1st stage people.

Just remember that when you pass the 1st stage you are sent to the host country in order from most qualified to least qualified. Some countries (the smaller ones) just approve what the US ranks, whereas other countries that have their Fulbright board may deviate. I don't know if the Program Manager can tell you your rank tho..

I've read 1.5 to 2X the number of grants available. I don't think the ratio is set in stone for every country, though.

Friday!!! Wow.

Yeah, it really depends on the country, but from last year's thread it seems that the US sends 1.5-2 times the number of apps like SlyStone said to the respective country's Fulbright commission. So you can think of it has having a 50% chance of making it after the 1st round ...

Edited by crimsonengineer87

Friday?? Does that hold for at-large applicants, too? Oh, man, I almost wish I hadn't stumbled on this thread! :rolleyes: But since I'm already here...anyone else for the UK?

Best of luck to you all!

Roman

Me! Good luck to you!

oh my goodness, I just got an email from the Fulbright people.

They want me to fill out a second application to send to the Egyptian Commission for government clearance for my research. Yeah, I know, they probably sent this to everyone who applied to Egypt, but I'm interpreting it as a good sign! Right, right? Right?

Ugh I am so on pins and needles. Anyone else apply to Egypt?

I applied to Egypt a few years ago (2007-08) and didn't make it as a finalist. My application was looking at the Gaza/Egypt border, and I think I may have said something about how it would really help the Palestinians out if Hosni Mubarak were overthrown. j/k

I didn't get asked for government clearance and I didn't get an application -- I was just flat out rejected. So I would interpret them asking you for additional information as a good sign unless this is a new procedure of theirs.

Good luck!

Hey all,

I'm new to this board, and after tomorrow I may well disappear again (if things don't go well), but in the meantime I just wanted to let you all know that I just emailed the Fulbright advisor on my campus and she says she's already been notified of who the finalists are and expects we'll hear tomorrow. I was hoping she'd hint one way or the other but she says she's "sworn to secrecy." alas! Anyway, I just thought this info might be of value to you all. Have a good one!

Yep, I just got an appropriately vague email from my campus adviser, too. Notice of finalist or non-finalist status will be sent by IIE to all applicants on the 21st.

I don't think I can take this wait any longer!!!

I hope my campus advisor at least provides some hint ... or maybe I can wait until tomorrow ... but then I would probably sit myself at my computer all day hitting refresh. Haha.

i feel that, as a UK applicant, i have so little hope to make it into the finals that i am not really that nervous today... probably will be tonight though, but only a little bit. there are 32 UK grants, only 14 of which aren't assigned to specific schools. that means probably around 50 finalists, give or take... that's not a lot if they got the same bucketload of apps like they did last year unsure.gif i think i'm trying to psych myself into not worrying.

Edited by Melchior

I was rejected by the Fulbrighters in the first round last year even though my school ranked me highly - so being rejected a second time won't feel as bad. Maybe the Fulbright committee just aren't THAT into me.