Fulbright 2011-2012

crimsonengineer87

Philosophy. I am not competing for your spot, don't worry. :) Well... I am, but not tete-a-tete!

Cool. Was it a Finn or an American that contacted you? I thought the Americans didn't even pass on applications to the host country until Jan. 31?

The Fulbright website says that January 31st is the day they send out the emails.

I'm having a hard time NOT counting down days. Either way, Jan 31 seems like a big "now what" kind of a day.

On 1/13/2011 at 11:48 PM, Jonhecht89 said:

Eh, I just called my girlfriend to complain. Honestly, though, I am glad that I made it past the first stage given that I am coming from a not-prestigious large state school and have a low (3.4) GPA. I have a lot of solo research, though, that I've presented at a number of conferences and (I am told by my interviewers) had stellar letters. Even so, I thought I had no chance given my university and my GPA.

You might be just what they are looking for. It's not all about GPA and schools, in fact coming from a prestigious school might count against you. Being married can also put a question mark over your application - in your case not an issue.

Either way I am keeping my fingers crossed for y'all!

I agree. I'm also married with three sons (one in college, the other two in high school) who will not be able to come along. I've gotten used to working part-time, time to catch up on everything that was forgotten for the last four years and time in my studio (I'm a metalsmith). I've applied for an ETA because I want the cultural education as well as the varied teaching experience (the Malta ETA is teaching in primary, secondary and the University setting). And if I'm going to do anything away from home, I feel comfortable doing it this year vs. the following year (or waiting until my youngest is in his second year of college). I guess I keep coming back to wait and see what happens on the 31st, then go from there.

I hate that the process takes so long. I have been thinking lately that I almost don't want a fulbright. Things are settling nicely here for me. Now, ask me again how I feel at the end of January. It's just difficult for me because I am married, and if I get the FB my husband will not come with me. I know if I get it, it is a wonderful and rare opportunity, and I will need to take it to further my own career. Grrrrr.

Anyone else feeling this way?

Edited by jarich

So I've been seeing that the consensus is that we will all be notified by the 31st. However, I just went to login to the Embark system to review my submitted app and saw this notice on the front page:

"The first round notifications will be made via email by January 24, 2011 to candidates who submitted an application by the October 18, 2010 deadline."

Here is the link for anyone who wants to see for themselves...

https://apply.embark.com/student/fulbright/usa/23/

It's closer than we thought!!

So I've been seeing that the consensus is that we will all be notified by the 31st. However, I just went to login to the Embark system to review my submitted app and saw this notice on the front page:

"The first round notifications will be made via email by January 24, 2011 to candidates who submitted an application by the October 18, 2010 deadline."

Here is the link for anyone who wants to see for themselves...

https://apply.embark...lbright/usa/23/

It's closer than we thought!!

Woo hoo!

Holy Crap! I kind of wish I didn't know that. My panic and impatience are planned out through the 31st. Now I have to cram it into less than a week! Ahhhhhhh

And, of course, I will panic if I don't get the email on the 24th.

This is sure a curveball!

I definitely understand. Honestly though, I am kind of at the point where I just want to get it over with so I can go forward with possible back-up plans. This whole thing is such a long, drawn-out process... it's a wonder we're all still (slightly) sane.

Holy Crap! I kind of wish I didn't know that. My panic and impatience are planned out through the 31st. Now I have to cram it into less than a week! Ahhhhhhh

And, of course, I will panic if I don't get the email on the 24th.

This is sure a curveball!

I definitely understand. Honestly though, I am kind of at the point where I just want to get it over with so I can go forward with possible back-up plans. This whole thing is such a long, drawn-out process... it's a wonder we're all still (slightly) sane.

That's true. Wow, less than a week.

You guys are right, i just checked the embark link and noticed that the NEW INSTRUCTIONS were posted on January 18, 2011. I would recommend the people near NY check their emails in the AM, thats when I got my email in 2009. Im happy they moved the deadline closer, the 31st was looking to be a long time!

Good luck...

Not only am I trying to avoid thinking about Monday, but I'm trying to avoid thinking about my future in general. My advisor keeps bringing up "well, what happens if you get the Fulbright, the NSF Fellowship, this fellowship, this program, etc" and I'm like NOOOOO.

I've been pretty good about not thinking about those fellowships which will be in March/April, but next Monday is like the beginning of a decision that will impact my foreseeable future and I'm not too good at making decisions like that. I just want things to just ... be?

AHH.

Not only am I trying to avoid thinking about Monday, but I'm trying to avoid thinking about my future in general. My advisor keeps bringing up "well, what happens if you get the Fulbright, the NSF Fellowship, this fellowship, this program, etc" and I'm like NOOOOO.

I've been pretty good about not thinking about those fellowships which will be in March/April, but next Monday is like the beginning of a decision that will impact my foreseeable future and I'm not too good at making decisions like that. I just want things to just ... be?

AHH.

I know just what you mean!! BAH! I was prepared to not freak out about this until next week... but the freakage is happening NOW!! I've got the essays for the final round of another fellowship due on Friday... and another fellowship application due on Jan 31... so much madness... !!

I know just what you mean!! BAH! I was prepared to not freak out about this until next week... but the freakage is happening NOW!! I've got the essays for the final round of another fellowship due on Friday... and another fellowship application due on Jan 31... so much madness... !!

So that's the terminology - freakage.

I like it. Haha. At least you have some work to keep your mind off waiting ... hopefully.

and this is sooooo why I pay attention to the forums... To get this kind of info that I had no idea about, nor would I have had any idea about it, since I have absolutely no reason to check my Embarkonline application. Then again, I could have NOT found out about this, and been oh so pleasantly surprised when monday rolls around and I get some sort of an email (Whether yay nor nay, at least it's SOMETHING). So hmm. I guess It's a mixed thing, because I was maintaining a mostly cool demeanor, but now I'm a nail biting wreck! So is ignorance truly bliss? or am I happier knowing? I guess I'll have to ponder this...

And I sooo hear you about if for some reason I don't receive an email on monday... I'm going to be in all out panic! Which will be irrational especially considering that everything I've read about Spain says that they are notorious for being late...

Just called Walter Jackson, here's the gist of our convo:

Me: I saw that the date had been changed from the 31st to the 24 is this true?

Jackson: Yea, we are trying to mail things out this week.

Me: This week? Don't you mean the 24th?

Jackson: Whats the date on th website say?

Me: The 24th.

Jackson: Well, "watch your mail" and Good luck.

Now I'm confused, since he is saying they will be mailing out things this week. Can anyone call Fulbright and confirm?

Just called Walter Jackson, here's the gist of our convo:

Me: I saw that the date had been changed from the 31st to the 24 is this true?

Jackson: Yea, we are trying to mail things out this week.

Me: This week? Don't you mean the 24th?

Jackson: Whats the date on th website say?

Me: The 24th.

Jackson: Well, "watch your mail" and Good luck.

Now I'm confused, since he is saying they will be mailing out things this week. Can anyone call Fulbright and confirm?

Dear Fulbright,

Please stop trying to kill me with confusion and anticipation.

Thanks,

rachaelski