Fulbright 2011-2012

crimsonengineer87

I just got an e-mail it said "You have inherited 60 million dollars from a very distant relative in Nigeria"

Maybe I won't be needing the Fulbright after all . LOL

I am really too stressed to think of anything clever to write. I want the Fulbright, I don't care if I don't get it, I demand to get the Fulbright, Oh my life will be fab even without it, I must win a Fulbright..... Okay I am melting here.

Please send me an e-mail soon - I have lots of other things I should be doing.

I just got an e-mail it said "You have inherited 60 million dollars from a very distant relative in Nigeria"

Maybe I won't be needing the Fulbright after all . LOL

Hahahah, Mynah, hook it up! I only need another $10G or so to fund my project in Indonesia should the Fulbright fall through. Mind if I dip into that $60M honeypot? :P In all seriousness though, good luck - what is your proposal in India focused on?

Hey E'erbody,

To take all of our minds off Fulbright for just a moment (probably a welcome distraction!).....what backup plans are you all considering to go ahead with an identical/similar research project in your country of choice should the FB not pan out? I'm particularly interested in those of you that aren't in graduate school yet, as my proposed project, to me, is a necessary pre-cursor to knowing the exact type of graduate program I want to pursue. If I was already in grad school I'd likely pursue the NSF GRFP (Grad Research Fellowship Program) or something of a similar type - but thats a few years up the road for me.

Looking for some ideas for the immediate term should I received a dreaded "NAY" email on January 24th (the new notification deadline).

Thanks everybody, and GOOD LUCK!!!:)

Deep breath, deep breath, deep breath. Didn't think that catching up on a few posts would send my heart racing.

As for an earlier post about what else to do...I'm not sure where I want to go next. I'm thinking about either internships at an art museum in the Ed. department or conservation department. Possibly going to the country I applied to just to get visual food/ inspiration for more work. Or just keep doing what I'm doing - my jewelry business seems to taking off whether I want it to or not.

Good luck everyone. I look forward to hearing a lot of cheers and relief over the next week.

oh my goodness, I just got an email from the Fulbright people.

They want me to fill out a second application to send to the Egyptian Commission for government clearance for my research. Yeah, I know, they probably sent this to everyone who applied to Egypt, but I'm interpreting it as a good sign! Right, right? Right?

Ugh I am so on pins and needles. Anyone else apply to Egypt?

They want me to fill out a second application to send to the Egyptian Commission for government clearance for my research. Yeah, I know, they probably sent this to everyone who applied to Egypt, but I'm interpreting it as a good sign! Right, right? Right?

I think this is probably a good sign--I doubt they would bother otherwise.

And hello to everybody! I applied to the Netherlands.

Just wanted to wish everyone good luck in the next few days. Very exciting time!

Sounds like good news to me. With the first round results coming out on the 24th , they wouldn't waste your or their time asking you to complete any more paperwork. So congrats!

Thats an amazing sign, it means you've made it to the second stage (100% sure). The larger countries that have their own Fulbright Comission i.e. Egypt often request additional documents. Some other countries want the application translated in the language (I think this is the case for Germany). What you have to remember is that the applications (that made it through the first round) are send as they are approved. So if they reviewed Egypt applications in December, thats when they send it. But to keep it uniform they let everyone know on January 24th. For the most part, the Fulbright people are nice and give you slight hints that you are getting the grant. But you recieving this information DEFINATELY means you have made it through the first round! Congrads!

Its wierd, but a part of me wants to get a rejection...I hate to go through what I went through in 2009. I was selected as an Alternate on April 27th. I wanted until June 1st, hoping and praying every day. From february 1st to June 1st was hell. The worst part is that they called me in the end of May and were 85% sure they would offer me an ETA position, but they money never came through. BE PREPARED FOR A LONG JOURNEY IF YOU GET THE GREEN LIGHT TUESDAY!

i think i'm going to have a heart attack. sad.gif

Ditto. I have heard nothing and feel super crazy nervous and unable to think about anything else. Plus knowing we can find out any time between Friday and the 31st drives me bonkers.

No, Fulbright is going to notify us by email. Counselors got an email that said "E-mails will be sent to all applicants notifying them of their application status by the end of the day on January 21st."

BAHH!!! Good thing my room is right across the hall from a bathroom... because I feel like I'm gonna vom... ! sad.gif

No, Fulbright is going to notify us by email. Counselors got an email that said "E-mails will be sent to all applicants notifying them of their application status by the end of the day on January 21st."

They lied on the website...YOU SEE I WAS RIGHT..THAT OFFICE LOVES FRIDAYS!

I can't find this info on the website... Does anyone know roughly how many finalists there are relative to the number of grants given?

It is always 1.5 the number of grant awarded. So for three grants, they will most likely select 4-5