Fulbright 2011-2012

crimsonengineer87

user_off.pngabyrne user_popup.png

snapback.pngsiuse, on 02 May 2011 - 12:38 PM, said:

I wonder if this means that all MENA notifications are being released? Anyone else want to email him?

I emailed Jermaine about Egypt last week and he said that they basically have no idea when the Egyptian government will give clearance

Did he say if the Commission had made their selections, though, and they're just waiting for clearance?

Edited by Ranita

I emailed Jermaine about Egypt last week and he said that they basically have no idea when the Egyptian government will give clearance.

Interesting, hope you know soon... I'm still waiting to hear from UAE, and I really think it may be another month. Doesn't seem to stop me from cruising through here, and commenting then checking the spread sheet smile.gif

Anyone know anything about CLEA? I asked a friend who did Fulbright last year and she said she knew before finding out about her FB (in April!). Does that mean if I haven't heard about the CLEA then I didn't get it?

Jermaine said that CLEA awards notify "a few weeks" after the Fulbright portion. So those of us waiting for MENA have longer to wait, then we find out about CLEA afterward. I also asked where the CLEA applicants in the Gulf will go, because previously they were set for Egypt...

It looks like the Egypt situation is still unknown

Oh mi goodness, exciting for you! You should add to the spreadsheet & any other West Bank ETA's... I think ETA is the only grant to Palestine right?

This from Jermaine Jones today:

All I can say is that I hope to have the hard copy notification letters for you and the other candidates recommended for the West Bank in the mail later this week.

Many thanks for your patience so far.

Regards,

Jermaine

Aaaaah! Anyone else applied to the West Bank?

To the Russian ETAs:

Does anyone want to email Oksana or Rachel and find out when we're hearing about our placement? It's kind of bothering me that other countries have heard back so quickly, and we haven't heard anything. I don't want to email them because I've pestered them a bunch already...

Hi- I just registered. I am waiting to hear back about a ETA to Jordan. I had emailed Jermaine on 4/26 (last Tuesday) and he responded that day. If the letters actually went out last Friday we should be hearing back any day!

(4/26)

Hello,

I hope to have the hard copy notification letters for you and the other finalists to Jordan in the mail by the end of this week.

Best regards,

Jermaine

Oh mi goodness, exciting for you! You should add to the spreadsheet & any other West Bank ETA's... I think ETA is the only grant to Palestine right?

Yea, ETA is the only grant being offered to Palestine this year. How do I add to the spreadsheet?

Did he say if the Commission had made their selections, though, and they're just waiting for clearance?

It seemed like that. This is what he said: My understanding is that the decision-making for Egypt has gotten bogged down with the Egyptian government clearance process-- which is generally slow even in the best of times. I know that the Egyptian Fulbright Commission has tried nudging their government contacts to move ahead with the clearance review, but don't think they've made any inroads yet. And please know that all recommended student candidates are notified via hard copy letter about the final decision reached on their applications. At this stage, I really have no idea when the abovementioned clearances will come through, so that I can issue these letters.

I'm in Michigan and I received my China acceptance today. Good luck to those still waiting!

Here's info for the spreadsheet:

name: computerdating

region: East Asia & Pacific

grant: Full

interview: N

address: Permanent

notification: 5/3/2012

postmark: 4/29/2012

method: Manilla envelope

academic status: Undergrad

research area: Modern History/Rural Development

contact info: please message user "computerdating" at the gradcafe forums

area: Beijing/Hebei countryside

name: bpie

region: Middle East

grant: ETA

address: Current

ah! where did you hear this? i was thinking we would have to wait at least another couple weeks.

Hey everyone, I just found this forum. I am waiting to hear back for an ETA to Turkey. Looks like we might finally hear something next week!

Alternate status - I'll stay on the list but I think it's time to move on. Congratulations to everyone who's received a grant and best of luck to those waiting! :)

name: sinsia

address: Current

method: white envelope

research area: migrant workers and health care reform

area: Jinan

Only speculation based on last years stats. sorry I should have clarified. So nerve-wracking...

ah! where did you hear this? i was thinking we would have to wait at least another couple weeks.

Received a Full Grant to China today. Very excited. Good luck to everyone.

address: Temp

postmark:

research area: Rule of Law, gewest generation of migrant workers

Has anyone heard back regarding China research grants?

Any idea of a timeline?

I almost fell down as it came a day early.

interview: Y

address: Perm

postmark: 4/29/12

academic status: N/A, professional

research area: energy policy

Location Arizona. The letter came a day early.

Looking forward to meeting you all in DC. Good luck to alternates and those who haven't heard!

China

Y@alma mater with Campus Fulbright Committee

Accepted

Current/Muncie, Indiana

5/3/2011

4/29/2011

Manilla

PostGrad@large

Sculpture

TsinghuaU/ShanghaiU/ CLEA@CETbeijing

Emerging studio glass movement in China

Rather than listing it in the forum, send your info to:

fulbright2011.2012@gmail.com

Judging by the sparse China entries, providing your info in the forum doesn't make it appear on the spreadsheet.

Good luck to everyone, with either your grant awards or trying/applying again next year.

CONGRATS!!!! Where will you be located?

---This wait is making me crazy.

Have any grads heard anything from J Akeley on when we might receive word regarding Japan research grants?

I actually don't know where I'll be yet. Since my project is a political science field research one and not in a lab, the Japanese Fulbright commission will place me at a University. So I have no idea when I'll know my location.

Good luck with yours!!!

Thanks, it certainly feels good. I'll be doing research in modern Japan history and I am going to affiliate at Waseda. If you're planning on being in the Tokyo area, you should sign up for the email list for the Waseda Modern Japanese History Workshop. It's a monthly meeting where (mostly foreign) graduate students present their research.

I studied abroad in the Fall of 2009 at Waseda. It's a great University in a great location (I particularly loved Nishi Waseda and Takadanobaba) so enjoy it!