Fulbright 2011-2012

crimsonengineer87

Well nothing in the mailbox and no email from Fulbright, looks like another week of waiting for Norway is in my future.. YAAY! unsure.gif

The only positive thing to be taken from this week is... that I did not yet receive a no! Hope is still alive:)

Edited by Norway2011

I just spoke with Cara about the Bangladesh Fulbright applicants. She said they're still waiting to hear back concerning the budget (i.e., number of grants). Who's applied to Bangladesh? I believe there were four other people who put their information on The Spreadsheet.

Well nothing in the mailbox and no email from Fulbright, looks like another week of waiting for Norway is in my future.. YAAY! unsure.gif

The only positive thing to be taken from this week is... that I did not yet receive a no! Hope is still alive:)

Nothing in the mail for me either. Grrr...

OMG i think i just threw up a little. SO NERVOUS.

Seriously. I had to reread the email several times. This better not be a very, very cruel April Fools' joke. I don't know if I'm going to be able to keep any food down until I get the decision.

(By the way, another West Coaster here - doing my PhD in Florida but I'll always be an Oregonian at heart.)

Seriously. I had to reread the email several times. This better not be a very, very cruel April Fools' joke. I don't know if I'm going to be able to keep any food down until I get the decision.

(By the way, another West Coaster here - doing my PhD in Florida but I'll always be an Oregonian at heart.)

Nice! How do you like Florida? I'm secretly obsessed with Miami haha

Edited by westcoasttoast

Nice! How do you like Florida? What city are you in? I'm secretly obsessed with Miami haha

Not to butt in, but I go to UMiami. Miami is quite a nice place to live :) But Italy wouldn't too shabby either to say the least!:) Good luck to both of you!!

Not to butt in, but I go to UMiami. Miami is quite a nice place to live :) But Italy wouldn't too shabby either to say the least!:) Good luck to both of you!!

I also go to UMiami - were you at that strange reception for people that received an award, may receive a Fulbright, or may apply for something?

I'm really not a fan of Miami, but I'm an Oregon girl and South Florida is pretty much the opposite of everything that I enjoy. But that keeps me out of trouble and limits the distractions from studying!

I also go to UMiami - were you at that strange reception for people that received an award, may receive a Fulbright, or may apply for something?

I'm really not a fan of Miami, but I'm an Oregon girl and South Florida is pretty much the opposite of everything that I enjoy. But that keeps me out of trouble and limits the distractions from studying!

haha yes, I was actually :) That is so funny, what a small world. What are you doing your PhD in? Hopefully we will both find out soon, I am dying of the wait and not knowing is distracting my from school during my last semester! haha opps rolleyes.gif

Ughhh. Just more waiting. Why cant they make up their mind. I guess we are going to have to wait for April 23rd just like last year

I just spoke with Cara about the Bangladesh Fulbright applicants. She said they're still waiting to hear back concerning the budget (i.e., number of grants). Who's applied to Bangladesh? I believe there were four other people who put their information on The Spreadsheet.

Hi! I emailed Cara Wolinsky, the Program Manager, in early March about the notification timeline. She said it would be at least a month before letters would be mailed out because each CA country has to come to a consensus about their respective applicants before State makes the final decision. We should hear fairly soon, but you can always email her to confirm...she has been quite prompt in responding.

--Panama Full Grant Applicant

Hi mj90

Thank you for letting us know what info you have on the notification date. Last year Central America/Carribean ppl were notified at the end of March/Beg of April. So Let's hope it gets here soon. Anyone else emailed Cara Wolinsky recently to see what's the update on the timeline? If not, anyone willing to? haha. Just kidding. I say if it doesn't get here within the next two weeks then we should email.

Also, anyone else a Guatemala Applicant? Full or ETA? smile.gif

So just more people are messing with spreadsheet. Someone unpicked ETA in the spreadsheet so people who applied with Full grants showed up, but thats all fixed now. Also another column was added for favorite color which I have to say is a little odd.

haha yes, I was actually :) That is so funny, what a small world. What are you doing your PhD in? Hopefully we will both find out soon, I am dying of the wait and not knowing is distracting my from school during my last semester! haha opps rolleyes.gif

I'm in the history department, studying early modern Italian cultural and intellectual history. What about you? What's your research in Norway?

I'm in the history department, studying early modern Italian cultural and intellectual history. What about you? What's your research in Norway?

Nice, sounds interesting. Well I would be doing a combo of 1st year masters and research for my thesis. Scandinavian democratic management models, mainly why they are more efficient than the ones used in American corporations. I would also be taking the first year of my MSc in International Management while doing the research. I have learned how to speak Norwegian so that should make life more interesting over there.

Where in Italy would you be going?

Nice, sounds interesting. Well I would be doing a combo of 1st year masters and research for my thesis. Scandinavian democratic management models, mainly why they are more efficient than the ones used in American corporations. I would also be taking the first year of my MSc in International Management while doing the research. I have learned how to speak Norwegian so that should make life more interesting over there.

Where in Italy would you be going?

Siena. I did a study abroad there in 2004 and have had a couple brief research stints there the last couple summers so I know what's in the archive - I just need to get back to use it!

Congratulations on your finalist status - I'm sure Kefryn is waiting just about as impatiently as we are for our notifications. Let's keep in touch!

Siena. I did a study abroad there in 2004 and have had a couple brief research stints there the last couple summers so I know what's in the archive - I just need to get back to use it!

Congratulations on your finalist status - I'm sure Kefryn is waiting just about as impatiently as we are for our notifications. Let's keep in touch!

Congrats to you, as well! I know, she emailed me yesterday asking if I had heard, since the Norway applicants had heard mid march the previous two years! Ahh! That is great that Italy notifications are being sent out this afternoon-- Keep me posted on if you get the award or not! We should definitely keep in touch! Try not to lose too much sleep this weekend :)

Congrats to you, as well! I know, she emailed me yesterday asking if I had heard, since the Norway applicants had heard mid march the previous two years! Ahh! That is great that Italy notifications are being sent out this afternoon-- Keep me posted on if you get the award or not! We should definitely keep in touch! Try not to lose too much sleep this weekend :)

Will do! All of my friends and family are expecting that I'll hear in mid-May, and I'm keeping it that way until I get the news. If it's bad news, I want it to be able to sink in and for me to come to terms with it before everyone starts asking me about it. And good luck to you on your sleep, also - hope you hear soon!

(i'm sure this issue has come up before, so sorry for asking again, i just didnt feel like searching through all the posts from this year and before to find an answer. so, let me know what you think, please!)

the question: I just received my acceptance letter for a full research fulbright in Indoensia. In my application i specified my departure as late december/early january. now that i've received the grant, i suddenly thought and am now wondering about the award benefits and how logn they will last. if i start the research in january, will i still receive funding for a year (until the following january)? or does my project have to be completed by a certain time in 2012? is there a chance i'll be losing part of my funding by starting later?

i'll probably ask the committee in indonesia about this as well, but wanted to see if you all had any ideas first. thanks!

-nick

I'm glad you posted this. I am applying for a Macedonia ETA and have been sitting on my hands to avoid pestering the certainly very busy staff.

What have you applied for? I am assuming they send both Grad and Undergrad results at the same time--does this seem to be the case?

Best of luck!

Hopefully the rest of the Balkan countries follow suit. I am applying for an ETA in Bosnia, and all my friends in Sarajevo are pestering me for news that I don't have yet :(

(i'm sure this issue has come up before, so sorry for asking again, i just didnt feel like searching through all the posts from this year and before to find an answer. so, let me know what you think, please!)

the question: I just received my acceptance letter for a full research fulbright in Indoensia. In my application i specified my departure as late december/early january. now that i've received the grant, i suddenly thought and am now wondering about the award benefits and how logn they will last. if i start the research in january, will i still receive funding for a year (until the following january)? or does my project have to be completed by a certain time in 2012? is there a chance i'll be losing part of my funding by starting later?

i'll probably ask the committee in indonesia about this as well, but wanted to see if you all had any ideas first. thanks!

-nick

Let us know what you find out!

Have you all been accepted at your institutions of choice, if you are enrolling? Has anyone not been?

Edited by siguenomas