Funding to get Accepted

csierrah

Hi,

So I will be applying to some schools (I want to get into Clinical Psychology Programs). I know that to improve one's chance of being accepted into any program it is a good idea to secure funding. Now, I've been taking a look at some of the founding agencies here in Canada and by the time I finished looking at their websites I am only confused. I don't know which are the "grants" I have to apply for and I am not sure how to do it.

Can anyone give me some pointers here? I really appreciate your help!

Carlos

Hi Carlos,

The main sources of external funding for research degrees in Canada are NSERC (sciences), SSHRC (humanities and social sciences), and CIHR (health). Psychology projects can fit into any one of those three categories, depending on what kind of work you'll be doing. I'm not sure if clinical programs are eligible, though. These funding agencies are for research degrees, not professional degrees. My brilliant sister can't apply for funding for her speech pathology master's, for example. Do you have a professor who knows you well? Someone you're planning to ask for a letter of reference? Go to that person and ask if you're eligible for external federal funding, and if so, which agency fits your project best.

Two things to keep in mind:

1) If you are eligible for federal funding, the application cycle starts in the fall (usually October or November for SSHRC). You might have to apply through your current or previous school, or you might have to apply directly to Ottawa if you've been out of school for a while. Regardless, this will take planning and work.

2) It's always a great idea to apply for external funding, but not having it isn't the end of the world. The majority of people who do master's degrees are funded by their schools, and are given their funding packages after being accepted.