slp grad school acceptance potential??

ajj294

I am from NY and I am currently in the process of applying to speech graduate programs and was wondering if anyone on here or someone they know has gotten into slp grad programs with my type of profile or something similar: 3.4 cumulative gpa, 3.6 major gpa, 145 Verbal 143 Quant 3.0 Writing (GRE), I have experience being a special ed paraprofessional in lifeskills classrooms, experience working as a clerical worker at a speech-lang. pathology practice (also observed sessions alongside clinicians at practice), and also have experience being an instructor at a summer camp. If someone could give me some insight I would really appreciate it!

Hi @ajj294,

It'll really depend on where you're applying to and making sure you cast a fairly wide net based on your stats. 

• Your work history is great and will look excellent on your apps.
  • Your GPAs are good/average depending on where you're applying, which will make you competitive but may not help you stand out as much against other applicants.
  • That said, all 3 section scores of your GRE are below what's typical for incoming SLP grad students.

It's not impossible to get in with lower GREs (especially if you talk about your academic history in a way that explains them compellingly in your SOP), but it may limit your options. If you can, I'd recommend studying and retaking it or making sure you apply to at least some schools that don't require them. Applicants can usually get away with one GRE section being lower than the others (especially quant), but when all of them are under 150/4.5 (the average), you're going to be going up against a lot of comparable applications with stronger scores. Aiming for a combined score of 300 or higher is ideal.

You can look up admission profile statistics using ASHA EdFind. They're very helpful when getting an idea of the ranges of stats different programs accept, as well as percentages of acceptances.