MPH: UNC vs Berkeley vs UMICH

Fernandez

Holla Comrades!

I'm a international student and was recently offered an admission into these three great programs in public health. They differ slightly into their concentrations but I don't have any particular interest so far (I don't even remember what I picked haha), if anything I would prefer more broad education (e.g., UCLA offers that). Financial consideration is not a major concern since it will cost about the same more or less and I'm frugal :)

Personally, don't want Michigan. Location/community life - don't care much, East or West is fine.

I mostly can't decide between Berkeley and UNC. As judged by ranking, UNC MPH stands higher (actually very high, only JH is "better" pero I was not accepted there) but UCLA/Berkeley is the brand name that is hard to ignore. What are your thoughts?

Would you choose B or U? Don't want M.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey there-since you said you're unsure of your interests (which is fine, I didn't mean that to judge), I think it is important to consider the location of the school with regards to the quantity and quality of applicable opportunities (i.e., internships, part-time work during the school year, summer, etc.). I'll be honest, I don't know much about this at UNC and while I imagine Berkeley has more I've never been to California tbh and don't actually know.. But just a suggestion to think about and factor into our decision making, if you so choose. I also don't know much about international student visas and whether or not they restrict taking advantage of anything I just suggested you think about. 

Edited by JPZ13

Hey there-since you said you're unsure of your interests (which is fine, I didn't mean that to judge), I think it is important to consider the location of the school with regards to the quantity and quality of applicable opportunities (i.e., internships, part-time work during the school year, summer, etc.). I'll be honest, I don't know much about this at UNC and while I imagine Berkeley has more I've never been to California tbh and don't actually know.. But just a suggestion to think about and factor into our decision making, if you so choose. I also don't know much about international student visas and whether or not they restrict taking advantage of anything I just suggested you think about. 

• 4 weeks later...

The rankings will make you believe that Ross and Berkley are more powerful and that could be the case, however they all rank very well. In addition to rankings, take a look at Linkedin and look up the alumni tab to find the places they rank. Find specific companies, jobs, industries, locations and more. There's a wealth of information available. KF has a lot of alums in NYC , Charlotte and other banking locals. There are many opportunities to succeed there. Get good grades, Get involved. You can be a leader. Enjoy your four years. Don't get too caught up in the outcomes of day one. Find out what you have to accomplish and then do it. Are you referring to Morehead-Cain? Although I'd suggest UC Berkeley and Michigan Ross are better than UNC KF, that's a truly amazing deal. It's not an easy task to get a full tuition scholarship at a school that is of the caliber of UNC.... I would also suggest taking advantage of that. I was enrolled at a school which was "ranked" just a bit lower than the other schools that I was accepted to, but I was able to save between $80 and $90k over the course of four years during the process, and was in a comparable situation to what I was in the two other schools (if not higher). Congrats!