Profile Eval for History phd (2022 Fall)

geschichte_2022

Hi, I am a undergraduate student from South Korea. Majoring East Asia Studies & Confucian and Oriental Philosophy. I am yearning to pursue a PhD in the States. Thing is, the more profiles from international students I search, the more frustrated I am. After worries and worries, I decided to share my profile and beg any advice. Hope your forthright assessment of my potentiality to get in...!

Type of Student: International Asian

Undergrad and : Top 5 university in South Korea (Sungkyunkwan university)
GRE General Test: I do not take GRE

Toefl: 100 overall 

Programs Applying: History PhD 

Research Experience: 
1. An half year of work as a undergraduate researcher in Seoul National University Asian Center. 
what I did: 
  • Conducted a comparative study on the Cold War history of South Korea and Japan, by analyzing South Korean media reports on the Vietnam War and 1968 Protests and compiling interview materials with Korean university students and intellectuals on the protests from the 1960s; delivered the final presentation to professors and other student researchers.
  • got Best Paper Award (Disparate Experiences of Cold War between South Korea and Japan in the 1960s – Focusing on the Vietnam War and 1968 Protests)

2. working as a research assistant in Seoul National University Asian Center (now)

Internship/Extracurricular Activities
1. NGO assists North Korean defector's resettlement
2. Global Asia Forum (at East Asian Foundation)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions/Scholarship: 
several times of Honors & Scholarship.

Language skills: 
Korean (native), English (fluent), German (basic), Advanced Reading Proficiency in Traditional Chinese Characters

Research Interest: Modern Korean history, Transnational history of East Asia, Decolonizing world, postcolonialism and the Cold War

Note: not impressive scores in GRE and TOEFL(though not planning to retake), limited research experience (in theoretical aspect of statistics)
What makes me so frustrated is that nowadays competition among international students is really intense. Recently, I am even dubious about whether I am eligible for applying...
Craving for several years, however, I still want to apply to some schools. So I beg your any advice for my questions. It would be so precious for me.

1. Do members in admission committee know well about the reputation of Korean Top Univ? (Apparently, skimming other domestic profiles, I could catch that overall reputation of the undergrad school is quite important. So I am curious about the international case.)
2. What is your recommendation for my application? 
3. Any advice to strengthen my profile at this point?
4. I am planning to apply for Yale, Columbia, Wisconsin-Madison, UC Berkeley, northwestern, University of Washington, Brandeis university, British Columbia(MA) => Is there any other university that best suits for my research interest? 

Thank you!

• dr. t locked this topic