Suitable MPA/MPP Programs?

Zeppelin17

Hello! 

I am an international applicant from Azerbaijan who is applying to entry-level MPP/MPA programs (I have 2 years of work exp). Last year I applied to Chicago, Harvard, Columbia, and Michigan and got admission from all of them. However, apart from a small tuition discount from Chicago, I got no funding (I actually missed the funding deadline for Columbia). Being from a developing country, it is impossible for me to bear the cost of the above-mentioned programs without significant funding aid. Hence I am re-applying this year.

I got my bachelors degree of Economics in my home country. Have 80%+ scores both on verbal and quant section of GRE. I believe my LoRs are good enough (one from an MP (who used to be my boss), one from head of our Economics department, and one from my professor of Econometrics). Career goals are primarily focused on working for government agencies or NGOs that deal with economic development.

Long story short, I am looking for programs that are (a) fit for my background/career aspirations, and (b) would offer me decent funding. So far I applied to Princeton (MPA). I'm also planning to apply to Duke and Harvard. Other than these 3, what programs would you recommend for me?  

Thanks in advance! 

1 hour ago, Zeppelin17 said:

Hello! 

I am an international applicant from Azerbaijan who is applying to entry-level MPP/MPA programs (I have 2 years of work exp). Last year I applied to Chicago, Harvard, Columbia, and Michigan and got admission from all of them. However, apart from a small tuition discount from Chicago, I got no funding (I actually missed the funding deadline for Columbia). Being from a developing country, it is impossible for me to bear the cost of the above-mentioned programs without significant funding aid. Hence I am re-applying this year.

I got my bachelors degree of Economics in my home country. Have 80%+ scores both on verbal and quant section of GRE. I believe my LoRs are good enough (one from an MP (who used to be my boss), one from head of our Economics department, and one from my professor of Econometrics). Career goals are primarily focused on working for government agencies or NGOs that deal with economic development.

Long story short, I am looking for programs that are (a) fit for my background/career aspirations, and (b) would offer me decent funding. So far I applied to Princeton (MPA). I'm also planning to apply to Duke and Harvard. Other than these 3, what programs would you recommend for me?  

Thanks in advance! 

If you are going for a scholarship or nothing approach, you might want to apply with consideration of what schools have money. Yes some of them will be the prestigious ones you applied to (Chicago and Harvard). However some of the prestigious ones like Columbia SIPA and Michigan aren't exactly scholarship friendly. You might want to consider lower tiered programs that actually have money to burn (especially for diversity like yourself) Georgetown MPP has pools of scholarship to give (in my other posts I warn about the issues of the program, but if you are all about the dollars, that might make sense). There are others out there like Cornell MPA and Yale Jackson trying to grow their program. Both of those programs do have some issues/challenges, but they are flush with money to give students.

Keep in mind, it is about the money they are willing to set aside for MPP/MPA students that matter, not the overall wealth of the University. 

Edited by GradSchoolGrad

3 hours ago, GradSchoolGrad said:

If you are going for a scholarship or nothing approach, you might want to apply with consideration of what schools have money. Yes some of them will be the prestigious ones you applied to (Chicago and Harvard). However some of the prestigious ones like Columbia SIPA and Michigan aren't exactly scholarship friendly. You might want to consider lower tiered programs that actually have money to burn (especially for diversity like yourself) Georgetown MPP has pools of scholarship to give (in my other posts I warn about the issues of the program, but if you are all about the dollars, that might make sense). There are others out there like Cornell MPA and Yale Jackson trying to grow their program. Both of those programs do have some issues/challenges, but they are flush with money to give students.

Keep in mind, it is about the money they are willing to set aside for MPP/MPA students that matter, not the overall wealth of the University. 

Hey, thanks for the info! 

I noticed that Cornell also has a relatively cheaper program as well, but was not sure whether they are generous with their funding. I emailed them about the prospect of funding and the answer that I got was more like "meh, we have very limited funding". 

I will certainly keep Yale and Georgetown in mind too. If any other program comes to your mind (including lower tiered programs), I would be glad if you share with me.

Thanks once more!  

I've seen a lot of people get full-rides to UCSD on this forum and seeing as you were accepted to all of the top schools that result should be possible for you.

Anecdotally speaking, I have a friend that was deciding between two universities with one being ranked slightly lower than the other. She ended up picking the lower ranked one because they made a HUGE push (offering fellowships, stipends, etc.) to get her to go there. You may find your experience similar with the elite schools liking you, but the ones right below that doing most anything they can to get you.

Edited by PedroTheNoun

• 3 weeks later...

Hey @GradSchoolGrad ,

I noticed in this forum that you are very knowledable about the government affairs programs. Considering that, could it be possible if you could share with us (in your opinion) top 10 MPA/MPP programs (for entry level applicants) that are most generous when it comes to funding?

12 hours ago, Zeppelin17 said:

Hey @GradSchoolGrad ,

I noticed in this forum that you are very knowledable about the government affairs programs. Considering that, could it be possible if you could share with us (in your opinion) top 10 MPA/MPP programs (for entry level applicants) that are most generous when it comes to funding?

I am very uncomfortable with this question at large because there is no real way to rank schools like that.

1. Schools are rather secretive about what their strategic scholarship spending plans are

2. What was relevant last year may change the next year.

3. Even the stingiest schools may put aside money for specific people they are looking for (for example, I know of a graduate program willing to give Indian/Latin American students more scholarships one year in order to grow the Indian international student community to avoid being to Chinese international student exclusive). The stopped it for the next year.

4. That being said, schools tend to be reluctant to give entry level applicants scholarships unless they fill a targeted diversity category of interest. The reality is that entry level applicants tend to be higher risk (everything from bringing credit to the program, enriching the classroom experience, and post graduation career opportunities). There are exceptions for when grad schools are trying to grow their program with entry level applicants, but they prefer to pick from their own undergraduates generally speaking. 

2 hours ago, GradSchoolGrad said:

I am very uncomfortable with this question at large because there is no real way to rank schools like that.

1. Schools are rather secretive about what their strategic scholarship spending plans are

2. What was relevant last year may change the next year.

3. Even the stingiest schools may put aside money for specific people they are looking for (for example, I know of a graduate program willing to give Indian/Latin American students more scholarships one year in order to grow the Indian international student community to avoid being to Chinese international student exclusive). The stopped it for the next year.

4. That being said, schools tend to be reluctant to give entry level applicants scholarships unless they fill a targeted diversity category of interest. The reality is that entry level applicants tend to be higher risk (everything from bringing credit to the program, enriching the classroom experience, and post graduation career opportunities). There are exceptions for when grad schools are trying to grow their program with entry level applicants, but they prefer to pick from their own undergraduates generally speaking. 

Thank you very much for your detailed response, much appreciated. 

I am a little paranoid since last year when I got admission from all univerisities that I applied to, but failed to secure enough funding to actually attend. This year I have been lucky enough to receive Fulbright scholarship, but the submission plan is yet to be finalized and per the rules I have no control over my placement. Coming from a small developing country, my Fulbright country office informed me that they cannot send me to a high-cost (or even mid-cost) universities, which makes me even more anxious... 

8 hours ago, Zeppelin17 said:

Thank you very much for your detailed response, much appreciated. 

I am a little paranoid since last year when I got admission from all univerisities that I applied to, but failed to secure enough funding to actually attend. This year I have been lucky enough to receive Fulbright scholarship, but the submission plan is yet to be finalized and per the rules I have no control over my placement. Coming from a small developing country, my Fulbright country office informed me that they cannot send me to a high-cost (or even mid-cost) universities, which makes me even more anxious... 

If I were you, I would look into schools that have recently got massive donations - funding, but may not be as established as a top brand yet.

Again, I don't know what they are targeting, but both Yale - Jackson and Georgetown McCourt got massive amounts of funding. Be warned, these are programs trying to be a top brand, but they have different issues for a reason.