Working for Americorps or Teach for America

Coffe-ology

Has anyone looked into either working for Americorps or Teach for America, or any similar programs while working on their PhD? is it possible I'm trying to come up with ways to pay off the massive amount of loans I have accrued during my MA while I'm working on my PhD so its more manageable and less stressful when I officially have to start paying. Any other things people have done to pay off loans while in PhD programs is also helpful.

The best thing you can do is get into a PhD program that offers funding to its grad students and then live below your means. Live with roommates, don't eat or drink out, etc. Use the difference between your stipend and what you spend to pay on your loans.

Has anyone looked into either working for Americorps or Teach for America, or any similar programs while working on their PhD? is it possible I'm trying to come up with ways to pay off the massive amount of loans I have accrued during my MA while I'm working on my PhD so its more manageable and less stressful when I officially have to start paying. Any other things people have done to pay off loans while in PhD programs is also helpful.

Most AmeriCorps programs strictly prohibit working and going to college at the same time. Likewise, the only instance in which teaching is allowed with Teach for America is if it's for a part-time Master's or PhD in education. AmeriCorps and Teach for America are both full-time positions (there are a few scattered part-time AmeriCorps positions, but not many). They're both insanely competitive and in my experience, they'll likely take grads with no other obligations instead of working around your busy schedule. As rising_star mentioned, a funded PhD is by far your best option unless you're willing to take a year or two off to work and pay off your loans. Best of luck to you!

Just an idea -- but if you don't get into a funded PhD program, you could look into whether or not your university offers tuition remission to employees. That could work out better than a Teach for America position. I worked in an administrative position during my MA for the tuition benefits and it was a really good way to get a degree from a private school at basically no cost (I did have to pay something like $100/semester). It was also nice having a job on campus....I could walk to class after work ended. Luckily, my program offered a lot of evening classes. If this is an option for you, it would be a good way to pay down your loans while pursuing a degree (though it may take longer to graduate if you work full-time).