Admission into M.A. Program GPA

Kwellington01

Question

So long story short, I had health and family issues during the first and second year of my undergrad. That was on top of being put into a major which I was not comfortable with (psychology), but went along with because I did not know any better. My junior year I switched my major to English literature, added two minors, and have been on the dean's list for 3 semesters now (currently 5th year). I am now looking to apply to grad schools but am scared that I might not have a chance. My grades are as follows:

CGPA: 2.85 (should be to 3.0 upon graduating)

English Major GPA: 3.61

Minor GPA: 3.80

Since switching majors I have not earned anything lower than a B and even that is on a rare occasion (only two B's). Maintained a 4.0 for 3 semesters as well while taking heavy courses.

I have glowing letters of recommendation and am involved in 3-4 university sponsored groups.

In your opinion, do I have a chance of getting into graduate schools? 

Edited by BRiley

2 answers to this question

On 11/18/2021 at 12:29 AM, BRiley said:

So long story short, I had health and family issues during the first and second year of my undergrad. That was on top of being put into a major which I was not comfortable with (psychology), but went along with because I did not know any better. My junior year I switched my major to English literature, added two minors, and have been on the dean's list for 3 semesters now (currently 5th year). I am now looking to apply to grad schools but am scared that I might not have a chance. My grades are as follows:

CGPA: 2.85 (should be to 3.0 upon graduating)

English Major GPA: 3.61

Minor GPA: 3.80

Since switching majors I have not earned anything lower than a B and even that is on a rare occasion (only two B's). Maintained a 4.0 for 3 semesters as well while taking heavy courses.

I have glowing letters of recommendation and am involved in 3-4 university sponsored groups.

In your opinion, do I have a chance of getting into graduate schools? 

I absolutely believe you have chances, and GPA is just a tiny part of your application. Also, you can explain all of your situation on your SOP.

It's possible. I had two really bad semesters myself, but recovered with a 3.1. If you are really interested in a graduate program, I would schedule a personalized virtual online session with the admissions office, attach your resume/transcript, and address your concerns during the meeting. They might breakdown your credentials and provide feedback on submitting a top-notch application, regardless of GPA. 

I know peers with stronger resumes that got rejected from the best graduate programs because they didn’t communicate what the admissions office is looking for. Attend online information sessions and listen to their advice. Persistence and eagerness will get you on their radar. You probably don't need to address your past with this advice. 

For me, I ended up at Georgetown University five years after undergraduate. It’s possible to get accepted into an even better school, but I would first gain some work experience to show the admissions office you are dependable as a student/professional. Take a few years to recuperate, and do some research on programs you are interested in. Remain ambitious, and you’ll do fine.

Edited by dchang11