Correcting a Mistake?

abacus123

So, I recently went through the process of applying to grad schools, and while I was accepted to a few different places, I was fully funded at only one of them. I visited and was unimpressed, but figured I could still make something out of it for a Master's and then figure out what I wanted.

Now here comes the problem. I started working in the research group this summer, because I thought it would be useful to stay on time with my degree. There's no formal contract, but there is an email agreement that says I could begin work on the 1st if I wanted. So I did, and the research I've been given is nothing like what I want to do. When I visited, I thought it would be somewhat pertinent, but this has turned out to be a false belief. Worse, the meetings are conducted in Mandarin and I'm the only person in my group who doesn't speak Chinese (and oddly enough, the only one with an atmospheric science degree - the rest are electrical engineers). I don't know anyone here, there's a huge language barrier with my group members, I'm doing research I have no interest in, and I'm extremely frustrated, viewing my decision as a huge error in judgment.

I have a couple different options. Option A is to withdraw, but that's undesirable for a number of reasons. Option B is that I could try and say that I jumped into things too soon and come back in August. Provided that works, the hope there would be that in the following fall, I could interact with other faculty and work my way into another research group (there are several other faculty with research I'm more interested in, but I can't really talk to them now because I'm in another building away from the faculty --- classes will eliminate that problem). My funding in the fall is covered by TA funding from the dept, and my summer/ non academic year funding is RA. The thing is, I was accepted as an RA+TA, the RA being as part of this research group, and I'm trying to avoid burning too many bridges before I've even begun my formal graduate education (could they actually boot me out for going on leave for the summer before I'm enrolled or when I'm trying to switch in the fall?).

I'm really looking for advice and please share if you have a moment to spare. I was prepared for challenges, but not quite like this.

Wow. No one speaks English? Even your prof?

I vote for option C:

I think you should go to the chair of the department and explain the language situation. Say that you'd be happy to move into any group where group meetings are conducted in English. Say that you would also stick it out in this group for the summer if your labmates spoke English. Because whether or not you'd be doing the research you wanted to do, you'd be gaining valuable skills.

I think you'd be surprised what can be done when you speak up.

Wow. No one speaks English? Even your prof?

I vote for option C:

I think you should go to the chair of the department and explain the language situation. Say that you'd be happy to move into any group where group meetings are conducted in English. Say that you would also stick it out in this group for the summer if your labmates spoke English. Because whether or not you'd be doing the research you wanted to do, you'd be gaining valuable skills.

I think you'd be surprised what can be done when you speak up.

Thank for the advice. I dunno what exactly the department chair can do but I'll raise my concerns to him. The professor only uses English when talking to me or when he has to present something to the whole group, for which he'll speak in both Mandarin Chinese and English; otherwise it's just Mandarin. Two people in the group (postdocs) have such poor english they have to present in Mandarin; the other three grad students can understand English, but avoid using it unless talking to an English speaker like myself. It's frustrating because I feel there's a lot that's not being communicated.

Edited by abacus123

Thank for the advice. I dunno what exactly the department chair can do but I'll raise my concerns to him.

He may not be able to fix the language problem in the group but he can do a lot to make sure that you have a more tenable situation for the rest of your master's study.

Also, the language issue is *huge*--if it's enough to make you want to leave, it will probably have the same effect on any other native English speaker. No department wants to risk losing a star student.

Trust me, a department chair can carry a lot of clout. Especially if he's not sure what to do about it and starts asking advice from other professors in the department, who may also be very concerned. :P

I agree with everything that UnlikelyGrad has said, except that I would talk to the Director of Graduate Studies, rather than starting with the department chair. I might also contact other, more senior, grad students in the department to solicit their advice on how to handle the situation. Good luck!

bring it up with the PI. try to be more understanding as well, they're just trying to do their job. at least the PI cares enough to explain?

what school is this? too bad the PI is in electrical engineering =( seems like i have no hope to get in =)

wanted to trade spots with you haha.

Edited by LastThreeYears