MA/PhD programs to study Soviet history with an emphasis on culture

molodec

Hi everyone!

I am a Russian undergrad student. By 2022, I will have graduated from HSE (Higher School of Economics, Moscow). Now I'm working on my application for Fall 2022.

My background:

• I have 4 overall GPA (8.9 of 10).
  • 6.5 IELTS (7.5 L, 6.5 R&W, 6 S).
  • I have no GRE.
  • However, I have a writing sample and it is based on primary sources (soviet children’s diaries).
  • I probably can get strong recommendation letters from my profs.
  • I worked as a TA at HSE, have some publications in Russian journals for undergrads and took part in some conferences.

I'm interested in late Soviet history with an emphasis on culture (my writing sample is dedicated to Soviet children's attitude to ideology). 

I'm searching for MA or PhD programs which will suit my interests and are fully funded (it is impossible for me to fund my education by myself). I understand that my background and scores are not for top universities and I want to know more about affordable and less-known universities in the USA, which are suitable to enter in my case. I have studied the list attached here and been mostly attracted by University of Massachusetts - Amherst, University of Delaware, Texas Tech University but maybe there are other options that I am not aware of.

I need to add that I am also open to universities in Canada and Australia.

Help me plz because I really want to leave Russia for some years and gain experience of studying abroad.

I'd appreciate any suggestions/comments/ideas.

If there is any possibility of doing so, I think it might be a good idea to wait, study, and take the IELTS again with the goal of getting a 7. You're so close already! Of course, admissions are competitive enough at top programs that I would also understand if you decided it wasn't worth the risk. If you do get the 7, I second Holly Case at Brown and would also suggest Eleonory Gilburd and possibly Tara Zahra at UChicago. 

On 11/28/2021 at 6:26 PM, molodec said:

Unfortunately, Brown university requires IELTS 7 overall, while I have 6.5 only :(

As @orchestraldreamersuggested, this would, to me, seem to be a call to practice your English rather than settling for an institution with lower standards.

You might also email the Brown History DGS, Lin Fisher, and see how strict that cutoff is. 

On 12/1/2021 at 8:19 PM, orchestraldreamer said:

If there is any possibility of doing so, I think it might be a good idea to wait, study, and take the IELTS again with the goal of getting a 7. You're so close already! Of course, admissions are competitive enough at top programs that I would also understand if you decided it wasn't worth the risk. If you do get the 7, I second Holly Case at Brown and would also suggest Eleonory Gilburd and possibly Tara Zahra at UChicago. 

On 12/3/2021 at 5:34 AM, dr. telkanuru said:

As @orchestraldreamersuggested, this would, to me, seem to be a call to practice your English rather than settling for an institution with lower standards.

You might also email the Brown History DGS, Lin Fisher, and see how strict that cutoff is. 

Thank you guys for your suggestions!

I think that I will try to improve my IELTS if I cannot enter any university for fall 2022. However, the best option for me is not to wait but continue studying with current results even in a university with a low rating because I believe that being abroad will improve my English significantly. 

Have you considered doing fully-funded MA programs? You would not be the first international student to do it, even on their own country's history.  Getting MA here in the US will help you in many ways - your English, familiarity with US academic and university cultures (we are really, really different here!), and having connections with professors who will know others who can work with you at the PhD level.  The ranking of MA institution does not matter AS much as that of the PhD.  The best MA programs for Russian/Soviet history will likely have Title VIII funding to establish Center for Russian, Eastern European, and Eurasian Studies like Ohio State and Indiana University. You'll have a chance to live in the US for 2 years too.

• 3 weeks later...

I am also an applicant for 2022 Fall!

I think your background is really competitive. As I am also interested in Russian history, I think your research topic and interest will fit into program in history at Chicago, professor Gilburd Eleonory works on Soviet culture. I would also recommend professor Alexis Peri at Boston University. 

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...