Journal Access

suspechosa

Thank you everyone who responded to my "cancer" thread. We received some good news, and the cancer is at it's earliest stages and things are looking hopeful. So, I have decided to continue onto graduate school this fall.

I have what may be a silly question, but I honestly don't know what to do.

At my undergrad institution, I had access to a lot of journals online. For example, I used primate lit a lot..I just typed in my username and password I used for all things online at my uni. I just tried it using my new info for my new school and out of like 50 articles I tried to bring up, my school apparently only has access to two! Huh??

Am I doing something wrong or missing something? How do students get access to articles and why is it that my old uni gave me more access than my grad?!!

At two of the schools I attended, access was done by IP, i.e. if you access through the university network, you don't even need to log in and just look at whatever you need. Another way, is libraries made journals accessible through their interface online too. Once again, that just required being on the university network. One way to access it off-campus, is to use a VPN. I'm sure your school supports that feature.

You may not have access to the system yet. This is the problem I encountered in attempting to use my new school's online resources; I can login but am prevented from using any library resources until I start my program. If you think you should already have access, you can try calling the library and asking about authentication for offsite use (or try searching for it on the library's website). I know one of the common UK authentication systems is Athens, but I completely forget what's used in the US.

Edited by repatriate

Thank you everyone who responded to my "cancer" thread. We received some good news, and the cancer is at it's earliest stages and things are looking hopeful. So, I have decided to continue onto graduate school this fall.

I have what may be a silly question, but I honestly don't know what to do.

At my undergrad institution, I had access to a lot of journals online. For example, I used primate lit a lot..I just typed in my username and password I used for all things online at my uni. I just tried it using my new info for my new school and out of like 50 articles I tried to bring up, my school apparently only has access to two! Huh??

Am I doing something wrong or missing something? How do students get access to articles and why is it that my old uni gave me more access than my grad?!!

On the off chance that your new university really does have access to fewer journals, you can probably request that they get the articles for you. In that case, someone will scan the article for you and email it to you.

Have you checked to see if you can still login to your undergrad library's databases? Alot of schools will let accounts linger on a while. Many institutions also offer access to library resources to alumni though some (most?) charge a small fee for the privilege.

Have you checked to see if you can still login to your undergrad library's databases? Alot of schools will let accounts linger on a while. Many institutions also offer access to library resources to alumni though some (most?) charge a small fee for the privilege.

Good thought, but yeah- I've been booted :(