What the hell have I gotten myself into?

SQFunkis

I've been lurking around these forums without registering for some time now, but application season is getting ready to strike and I'm starting to wig out. I was hoping I might be able to find some advice on the process (or at least find a few others who might cower with me).

I'm sort of a non-traditional student (27 and working full-time through a second bachelor's degree), and I'm feeling a little under-prepared at the moment. I've been doing a some research over the last year and I'm closing in on a rough list of schools to check out. I'll be visiting the places that are close to where I live now, but I worry that I won't get to see some of the others before the next semester starts up in august.

I've been keeping tabs on possible references, and should be able to get that settled around the end of the summer. I've also been working on a couple basic statements that I can use as outlines and tailor to each school/application as necessary. The portfolio is giving me some trouble, but it seems to be an issue of whittling everything down (I tend to do sculpture/installation work, so I'm working on getting the point across with just one or two images per piece) rather than theme and continuity. My basic plan is to finish as much of the administrative work as I can over the summer, then use the fall to clean things up and tie the loose ends.

I've been going over this plan in my head for months, but I keep thinking I'm missing something big. Is there anything major I've overlooked, or another angle that's worth investigating? Is anyone else out there as terrified as I am?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

PS - This is pretty long-winded, sorry.

Having just gone through the gauntlet myself (this is kinda strange, I came back to idly browse the forums and found a brand new crop of applicants, just starting the process - makes me realize how fast this past year has whipped by) I'll try to offer some pointers (everything is just my humble opinion, your mileage may vary):

-Be cohesive and specific in your portfolio and statement. Ambiguity will get you tossed out of the pool, but a sharp conceptual focus - matched with a faculty member who's into the same stuff you are, which is HUGELY important - will get you into someone's good graces, and that's the key to admissions.

-Do a bunch of research on the people in the school you want to attend. It's the people that are the engine of grad programs. These are the people that will be the ones supporting you, giving you connections and shows, and basically helping you build your career. Find people you want to work with and who investigate themes you want to work in, and select a grad program from there.

-This might sound cynical, but it's the truth - along with researching the people you want to work with, investigate and exploit your connections. Do any of your professors/advisers have any connections at any of the schools you're looking at? Can they get you a meeting with the director of the program? Do they have any friends on the admissions committee? This will not make or break an application, and will not help you if your portfolio or statement isn't up to snuff, but every little bit helps. I can tell you with certainty that such connections helped me.

-Visit!! I can't tell you how important the campus visit is. Not only will you hopefully get some face time with faculty, but it's essential that you get a feel for the place you're going to be spending exorbitant amounts of time. A campus that just "doesn't feel right" probably never will. Listen to your gut on this one.

-From what I've heard, the ad coms consider your application as follows, in order of importance:

1. Portfolio

2. Statement

3. References

-Paperwork tip: buy way more school transcripts than you think you're gonna need, all at once as soon as possible. When your app is due in 2 days and you realize you're short a transcript, and you drive all the way to campus only to find out there's a 3-business-day wait period, you will question the existence of a god. Don't put yourself in that position.

And congrats for getting started so early!

Okay, that's all I have for now, hope I didn't bore anyone to death. What are everyone else's thoughts??

Hey there SQ...I am in the same (sorta) boat you are right now. I am 35, post-bacc at the UofA, working my butt off in lots of grad art classes and getting ready to apply. I had a plan for my summer...write all my prelim letters, organize, etc..but that is already out the window. I am a nervous wreck just trying to decide what schools to pick... I am a photographer and video artist, but do a lot of curating as well. I am trying to find a good overall program instead of a studio concentration, but we will see. My BA is not in art so I have been jamming classes for about a year. So far I am looking at the following:

UCSD (MFA or PhD)

U of Rochester (PhD)

UC Irvine (PhD)

UC Santa Cruz (PhD)

CCA - Social Practice

NYU

U of Buffalo - MFA Emerging Practices

UC Riverside - Visual Arts

NorthWestern - Art Theory & Practice

Pratt - MFA/MS

MICA

U Illinois - New Media

Otis

...and I am sure there are more that will make the list...

We can figure this out I'm sure...hang in there! Glad I found this forum...

Hello everyone,

I replied on another thread, I'm not sure which one is going to become our lifeline for communicating together for the 2011 season. I'm 29, a painter, graduated from UCD and then spent a few years 'out in the world'. I have not been showing or working as much as I'd like but I'm starting to get motivated now to get back to a productive routine.

I'm from California and am currently out on the east coast checking out schools. I'm finding it a little difficult as much of the faculty is on vacation but I've been able to get a few studio tours and connect with some of the grads. I've looked at NYU and Hunter so far. MICA, Temple, U Penn and VCU are on the list; then its back to CA where I'll look at SFAI, CCA, UCB, UCLA, CSLB, Stanford and possibly Cal Arts. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed trying to get to know each of the programs and the faculty at each of them. I actually asked a Temple advisor some questions about MICA the other day by mistake. :unsure:

I'm here for help and to offer any help that I can. If some of you people cant make it out to CA schools maybe I could forward info or reviews.

Best of luck all.

I don't know about you guys. But I've been looking at the work of faculty from many schools

and I can't seem to connect with any of them, except for the painter Ann Gale, who teaches

at University of Washington, Seattle.

I really want to go to Yale but, at least virtually speaking, I am not into the work that the faculty does.

But I've been corresponding with a current student at Yale and I really enjoy her work.

Do you guys think it's absolutely necessary to visit the campuses before I decide which ones to apply to?

Also, I will be graduating from my bachelor's in fine arts next spring so I'm really young.

Is it really a good idea to take a year or two off?

I'm thinking about it and I might go back to my motherland to paint.

Edited by Kaelynn

also I think pretty everyone who is doing this is peeing their pants.

I know I am.

I mean, not literally.

But, at the very least,

figuratively.

I am constantly in the studio.

Working on this, working on it.

Being overly-ambitious, doubting my own work, doubting myself,

also crying.

so don't worry!! just stay caffeinated and clear-headed

the majority of the time and I'm sure we will all come out okay.

also, here's my list of possible schools.

Yale. hahaha. yeah...

MICA

SAIC

University of Washington, Seattle,

Washington University in St. Louis

U of Buffalo

Syracuse University

some school in california that I can't remember.

@ Kaelynn - I personally think taking some time off allows one to appreciate the education more. I know that I was a bit young to really absorb everything in undergrad and I can't imagine having gone right into graduate school at 22. I'm sure it works for some very dedicated people but generally, doing a residency , going out and working in the field (or out of it in my case) gives you some perspective on the academic process.

Also, I don't think its 100% necessary to visit each school you apply to, but I've been trying to and it has helped a ton. I have been able to rule out programs that looked great online and sounded great over the phone but just lacked a 'certain something' in person. Being in the room, on the campus, and in the town where you'll have to make work for 2+ years really helps determine if its a good fit.

My 2 cents

Thanks to all for the advice so far. It's good to know what everyone else is up to.

Here's my rough list, from North to South:

Wisconsin - Madison

Michigan - Ann Arbor

Illinois - Chicago

Tennessee - Knoxville

North Carolina - Chapel Hill

Georgia

I'm at Illinois now, so it should be pretty easy to get information out of them, but if anyone has any experience or opinions concerning the others, I'd be glad to hear about it (I've got some visits coming up later this summer, but extra information is always helpful).

• 2 weeks later...

I'm from California and am currently out on the east coast checking out schools. I'm finding it a little difficult as much of the faculty is on vacation but I've been able to get a few studio tours and connect with some of the grads. I've looked at NYU and Hunter so far. MICA, Temple, U Penn and VCU are on the list; then its back to CA where I'll look at SFAI, CCA, UCB, UCLA, CSLB, Stanford and possibly Cal Arts. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed trying to get to know each of the programs and the faculty at each of them. I actually asked a Temple advisor some questions about MICA the other day by mistake. :unsure:

Demain, how did you feel about Hunter? I'm going to check it out within the next couple months, but I'm curious. I've heard the studios are huge, is that true? Were the students you talked to happy with the program? Compared to NYU, and obviously Columbia, their faculty isn't really made up of big names. I know that doesn't necessarily matter, but I've been thinking about it.

Are grad students offered TA/teaching positions? How often do students have faculty/visiting artists in their studios?

You might not have gotten any of this info, but anything you know or found interesting helps. Thanks! : )

• 2 weeks later...

Demain, how did you feel about Hunter? I'm going to check it out within the next couple months, but I'm curious. I've heard the studios are huge, is that true? Were the students you talked to happy with the program? Compared to NYU, and obviously Columbia, their faculty isn't really made up of big names. I know that doesn't necessarily matter, but I've been thinking about it.

Are grad students offered TA/teaching positions? How often do students have faculty/visiting artists in their studios?

You might not have gotten any of this info, but anything you know or found interesting helps. Thanks! : )

I landed at Hunter during their MFA show and happened to be able to speak with a painter and a sculptor who just graduated. I wasn't able to actually see the studios but I've heard they are cramped and a bit awkward. However, I think anything in the city will be a bit small. The grads that I spoke with were pleased with the program but both were lack luster about the amount of faculty interaction and help they have received post graduation. For me, getting a let up with teaching or showing after I graduate is huge. I think the high number of students : faculty at Hunter turns me off over other schools.

I also took a look at NYU. There was a lot wrong with what's going on there, dispite some good work. Simple said, for the $70K that NYU wants you could pay for a much nicer program. They have had to cut all their TA ships and now if you want to teach they actually hire the grads as adjunct faculty. You can earn some money this way but its not much and its a lot of work. Studio access was also limited and awkward and with studio's on the 5th floor, material transport was an issue for me.

So far, I must say, MICA has got my vote. The whole feeling is that of a program and town that is there to help you but not full of itself. Close enough to NY to keep tabs on whats going on but not overwhelmed in the thick of it.

I went to SFAI recently. Again, a good program, some nice work, but the cost just doesn't line up with what you get imo. $80k+? Really?

• 3 weeks later...

Im starting to gear up for this myself and am looking for lists of good places to apply to - some kind of low key places with good scholarships would be very helpful.

I was at risd for a little bit but their scholarships are very hard to come by and i'm tending away from 'name' institutions with overwhelming canons of work.

I see people going for mfas and phds and wonder how it is possible to go for the phd ?

oh, im a ba(hons) in photography.

• 4 months later...

Well, it's about that time. I've got about a month until the deadlines start hitting, so things are starting to come together. I've got my references lined up and given them their information, written a few drafts of my statement and I'm in the process of assembling my portfolio images and application materials. Here's my final list, in deadline order:

Illinois - Chicago

North Carolina - Chapel Hill

Wisconsin - Madison

San Jose State

New Mexico

I'm still struggling a little bit with my CV. I've been in a handful of shows during the past couple years, but I have no other field experience (teaching, fellowships/grants, publications, etc.). Is it acceptable to just fit the shows into my regular work resume, or is there another approach/format that has worked for anyone?