Relative number of applicants by program type?

Title. 

It might be helpful to me and others if people with insider info shared a rough ratio of this years applicants to previous years. Personally I am trying to decide how much energy to put into planning profile-enhancing activities in 2022 should I get rejected everywhere. My field is math/applied math (PhD), but I think hearing about biostatistics or other quantitative programs would still be helpful.

Edited by Cophysneurec
added (PhD)

If you look at the number of applicants for schools that release data for previous years (Duke, Cornell for example) the number of applicants in the 2021-2022 admission cycle was very much within normal variation. So if the beginning of the pandemic didn't budge numbers too much, I don't think that this years numbers will depart from previous years very much either (aka there should not be a flood of applicants this year).

Anecdotally while there are people who delayed applications because of Covid, in my experience there are also people moved their application up a year for various reasons (I did as well as some other people I know). So it's kind of a wash.

Edited by trynagetby