Dual Degree Programs

3ribya23

Hi! I know for sure I would like to get a JD, but I'm leaning more and more towards dual degree programs with a JD, especially a JD/MD, JD/MSFS (Georgetown School of Law and School of Foreign Service), or a JD/MA. I understand all those programs are very different, and I haven't heard of anyone with experience applying to these programs or participating in them. If anyone has advice or insight it would be greatly appreciated. I'm currently majoring in Political Science, Economics, and Arabic, but I have time to add Pre-Med requirements to my degree program or another minor if I acted now. Thank you! 

I would focus more on the LSAT over the GRE. Georgetown is stepping back from the GRE for a bit with the pandemic. I'm going to the Walsh School of Foreign Service in the spring, and didn't fret much over the entrance exams. Try to gain some work experience as you prepare for this. You do need to know the admissions process on both sides, because I heard you need to submit two applications. 

For now, I would schedule a 1v1 information session on the SFS side to get an idea of things. They are really inviting, which motivated me to reapply after getting rejected the first time. I'm not sure about the law school side, but I heard great things from students that went through. If you leave the SFS meeting with a set plan, Georgetown may take notice.

• 1 month later...
On 12/23/2021 at 9:19 PM, 3ribya23 said:

Hi! I know for sure I would like to get a JD, but I'm leaning more and more towards dual degree programs with a JD, especially a JD/MD, JD/MSFS (Georgetown School of Law and School of Foreign Service), or a JD/MA. I understand all those programs are very different, and I haven't heard of anyone with experience applying to these programs or participating in them. If anyone has advice or insight it would be greatly appreciated. I'm currently majoring in Political Science, Economics, and Arabic, but I have time to add Pre-Med requirements to my degree program or another minor if I acted now. Thank you! 

Those are two very different dual degrees with two very different career benefits. 

Bottom line, do you want to go do residency to become a medical doctor? If you don't, the JD/MD makes zero sense unless you want to do some research and be a medical devices person and deal with patent law somewhere down the road.