How do you know your LoRs are "strong"?

as410tro

I often see from the Admission Results, people note, "strong LoR" or "strong SoP."

How do you it's "strong?" 

Especially for LoR, I've seen that it is better to waive the rights to view your LoRs, so how do know what your recommenders wrote about you?

Typically, what you want to do is bring it up when asking for the letter initially. Instead of just asking for a letter of recommendation, ask if this person can write you a strong letter of recommendation. 

21 minutes ago, PsyDuck90 said:

Typically, what you want to do is bring it up when asking for the letter initially. Instead of just asking for a letter of recommendation, ask if this person can write you a strong letter of recommendation. 

But isn't the premise that everyone requesting wants a "strong" LoR? I am just curious if it would make a difference for the recommenders making a genuine letter. What does a "strong" letter contain?

Edited by as410tro

This will be dependent on your relationship with the letter writer. Sometimes people will agree to write a letter, but if it's someone who just had you as a student in a class or two, they may not be able to give as rich of a letter about your skills vs someone who you've done research with and worked closely with can really offer more information and speak to a greater depth of skills you have that will be beneficial in grad school. Most people will say "hey, I don't think I know you well enough to write you a letter" but others won't mention it and write you a generic letter. 

6 minutes ago, PsyDuck90 said:

This will be dependent on your relationship with the letter writer. Sometimes people will agree to write a letter, but if it's someone who just had you as a student in a class or two, they may not be able to give as rich of a letter about your skills vs someone who you've done research with and worked closely with can really offer more information and speak to a greater depth of skills you have that will be beneficial in grad school. Most people will say "hey, I don't think I know you well enough to write you a letter" but others won't mention it and write you a generic letter. 

I see. So by "strong" letters, they mean "strong" relationships, I suppose. Thanks!

Yes, strong letters typically come from people who you have a close working relationship with and they can really speak to your skillset. The letter helps programs get a better sense of what kinds of skills you have that will lead to success in grad school. If they can only speak to the fact you got an A in their class and participated well, that isn't going to be as strong as the person who you've been working side by side with for 2 years on research projects. Also, someone who you maybe have flaked out on or thinks you're unreliable may also not be able to write you a strong letter.