How should I structure my essays for dual MSW / MPH programs?

Kelso123

Hi there, so my dilemma is this. I am applying to several dual MSW / MPH programs, but most of these programs require separate applications for each degree (if accepted to both, it will be a dual program that only takes three years instead of 4+). Should I structure my essays around my reasoning for applying to both programs, or should I focus on each program individually (i.e. shape my MSW essays around why I want to be a social worker, my MPH essays about why I want to work in public health)?

I would love to hear from anyone who has experience applying or attending a dual degree program or who works with dual degree program students. 

Hi I have a MSW/MPH dual degree. I think it depends on the review committee if they are separate and unaware that you are applying for a dual degree then separate them. I think you could try contacting the program admins and they will provide a better idea. These two degrees are indeed interrelated, especially with Covid and the growing awareness of social determinants of health, I don’t think your essays need to be that of a difference for these applications even they are separate 

1 hour ago, XXXXXXphd2021 said:

Hi I have a MSW/MPH dual degree. I think it depends on the review committee if they are separate and unaware that you are applying for a dual degree then separate them. I think you could try contacting the program admins and they will provide a better idea. These two degrees are indeed interrelated, especially with Covid and the growing awareness of social determinants of health, I don’t think your essays need to be that of a difference for these applications even they are separate 

Thank you for your response! I'm curious, what are you doing (or planning to do) career-wise with your dual degree?

15 hours ago, Kelso123 said:

Thank you for your response! I'm curious, what are you doing (or planning to do) career-wise with your dual degree?

I’m pursuing a research career and I definitely see the dual degree as an asset. I feel the MSW training even benefits my soft skills collaborating with researchers and my research has a social justice lens at heart. 

I would say there are a variety of careers people pursue with their dual degrees. There isn’t as much a set career path prepared and folks tend to have to figure out themselves what’s the ‘sell’, for example if you want to pursue a heavy quant focused career then you might not be as competitive as someone who only specialized in biostats/epi unless you put additional intentional efforts into it (e.g. because the dual degree curriculum ‘eat’ some of your elections to count towards the other degree etc), but because of this peeps usually genuinely enjoy their work  as far as I have seen