Summer to Prep for GRE - Tips on books, etc?

workinprogress

Hey Guys, first post here.

I'm going onto my last year in college and am looking into spending this entire summer prepping for the GRE. I just finished my 3rd year as a Civil Engineering Student at University of California, Irvine

Do you guys have any recommendations

-on sites (where I can read tip)

-Prep Books

-any other tips

I'll do more research about good graduate schools, but first would love to nail this GRE. Unfortunately, i don't do so great on standardize tests.

Thanks for your time,

I really liked the Kaplan online edition. It was a book that also allowed access to a website that had online practice tests. I also suggest the book the ETS puts out of old practice tests. I am pretty poor in math so I also used the Idiots Guide for the math section. It was INCREDIBLY helpful because the GRE has "patterns" that like to show up and this book definitely gives you hints into what frequently shows up.

I really liked the Kaplan online edition. It was a book that also allowed access to a website that had online practice tests. I also suggest the book the ETS puts out of old practice tests. I am pretty poor in math so I also used the Idiots Guide for the math section. It was INCREDIBLY helpful because the GRE has "patterns" that like to show up and this book definitely gives you hints into what frequently shows up.

Thanks, I appreciate your comment very much.

Are you referring to this book:

http://www.borders.com/online/store/TitleDetail?sku=141954991X

Thanks, I appreciate your comment very much.

Are you referring to this book:

http://www.borders.c...?sku=141954991X

I'm assuming that since you're applying for an engineering degree that your math is pretty good, so maybe you might need some help in the verbal/writing area. I agree with the poster above that Kaplan is a good resource. Its suggestions really helped me a lot in the writing section. However, I think Barron is far superior in the verbal section.

http://books.google.com.hk/books?id=VQ0JzAouVCIC&printsec=frontcover&dq=barron's+gre&source=bl&ots=Qq5eQaOSWr&sig=UvQk7PTpMtF0dfDK4u2hjNgypU8&hl=zh-CN&ei=hTAaTMeQNs-ecdXKzJ4K&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=6&ved=0CEAQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

This book brought me up from a 470 verbal score to a 720. It has a 3,000 word vocabulary list of commonly used GRE phrases and, as evident from my dramatic score increase, studying this list seriously works. On the actual GRE, I only encountered 1 word that was not on this list, so those dreaded analogies (which I used to swear were written by the Devil himself) were a lot easier. Also, it comes with a lot of paper and computer-based practice tests inside, so you can practice like crazy!

Honestly, if it's only verbal you're worried about and you don't have a lot of money to blow on GRE classes, buy a copy of Barron's. If you need to, go to Border's or Barnes and Noble and take notes on the AW section using Kaplan (Barron's AW tips aren't that great). That's what I did, and the end result was I didn't spend a lot of money and I ended up with scores I was happy with.

I'm assuming that since you're applying for an engineering degree that your math is pretty good, so maybe you might need some help in the verbal/writing area. I agree with the poster above that Kaplan is a good resource. Its suggestions really helped me a lot in the writing section. However, I think Barron is far superior in the verbal section.

http://books.google.com.hk/books?id=VQ0JzAouVCIC&printsec=frontcover&dq=barron's+gre&source=bl&ots=Qq5eQaOSWr&sig=UvQk7PTpMtF0dfDK4u2hjNgypU8&hl=zh-CN&ei=hTAaTMeQNs-ecdXKzJ4K&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=6&ved=0CEAQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

This book brought me up from a 470 verbal score to a 720. It has a 3,000 word vocabulary list of commonly used GRE phrases and, as evident from my dramatic score increase, studying this list seriously works. On the actual GRE, I only encountered 1 word that was not on this list, so those dreaded analogies (which I used to swear were written by the Devil himself) were a lot easier. Also, it comes with a lot of paper and computer-based practice tests inside, so you can practice like crazy!

Honestly, if it's only verbal you're worried about and you don't have a lot of money to blow on GRE classes, buy a copy of Barron's. If you need to, go to Border's or Barnes and Noble and take notes on the AW section using Kaplan (Barron's AW tips aren't that great). That's what I did, and the end result was I didn't spend a lot of money and I ended up with scores I was happy with.

Thanks for the suggestions!

What do you mean by AW?

I do feel like need to focus more on sections other than math, do any of you guys also agree that Barron's is better in that respect?

Thanks again!