Starting the Process for 2011

lamissleona

Okay, its about that time to start gearing up and getting organized for apps in the fall.... I don't know about you all but I am starting to stress about narrowing down my schools. I think the easy part will be writing the letters, etc. I have a list a mile long of schools that fit my needs, wants, etc....anyone else in the same boat? My goal this summer was to have my schools picked and start draft letters, but I can't even narrow it down... I think I am gonna go broke over-applying! Where are you all in the selection process?

Wow... I just wrote a full page reply to your post and it got deleted. :(

I'm gearing up for the 2011 app season myself. I'm from California but currently out in PA checking out schools. I've looked at NYU and Hunter so far. NYU is off the list, despite the really nice tour. The facilities just arent worth the $. Hunter was great, the MFA show was good and the grads I spoke to gave good reviews.

I'll be checking out U Penn, Temple, MICA, and possibly VCU this week.

When I head back to CA, I'll be looking at UCB, UCSB, SFAI, CCA, Cal Arts, UCLA, CSLB, and Stanford.

I'm finding it not an easy process to narrow down the list, there are so many great programs. I started off by filtering out where I'd like to live and I think personally I have to stay on the coasts; otherwise I'd be looking at Cranbrook, Champaign-Urbana, and Ohio State.

My next filter is a tie between faculty I'd like to learn from and, sadly, funding. I spotted a list someone posted on here of 'sleeper' programs that were offering full funding to try and climb the ranks but I can't find the link now. Anyone know of a few programs like that or a list of them? I heard VCU is pretty generous right now.

Best of luck to everyone.

After living vicariously (and nervously) through others' applications for the past two years, I too am getting things in order for 2011. I have my list of schools pretty well narrowed. Now it's just a matter of furiously making new work so I have a range to choose from for my portfolio (I'm about halfway there at this point). Anyway, I expect we'll all be seeing a lot more of each other around here during the next 9 months or so... good luck to everyone!

My next filter is a tie between faculty I'd like to learn from and, sadly, funding. I spotted a list someone posted on here of 'sleeper' programs that were offering full funding to try and climb the ranks but I can't find the link now. Anyone know of a few programs like that or a list of them? I heard VCU is pretty generous right now.

In California, both USC and UCI offer fantastic financial aid packages (I believe both are free with TA positions) and both are having stellar graduate seasons recently, with multiple graduates from both schools attending the Whitney ISP (Mores McWreath from USC, Hong-an Truong and David Kelly from UCI).

If you're a painter, I would definitely recommend taking a look at UCI. Between Kevin Appel and Monica Majoli they're packing a punch.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking at Yale, Columbia, SMFA, and Syracuse.

SAIC was on my list but I visited for Grad Portfolio Day last November and was disappointed in the MFA studio space provided. I work large and there's no way I could work in a space that small. My undergrad studio was bigger. And they said I couldn't use an empty class room to work in. And the school and campus just didn't "feel" right. I received a good review though. I just don't want to waste my money applying to a place that I don't really want to go to after visiting. My ex was rejected three times by SAIC (after interviews).

I've been trying to track down admission information for the schools - when they start accepting applications and the deadlines. Same with financial aid. The only real info you can find on their websites is the deadlines. I want to know when I can start applying so I can plan for the time frame.

I already have a portfolio but am working to make it stronger. Not only to get into a school but to compete for merit based scholarships. I'm nervous about being interviewed. I can talk and write about my work, but I get really nervous with interviews.

I'm looking at Yale, Columbia, SMFA, and Syracuse.

SAIC was on my list but I visited for Grad Portfolio Day last November and was disappointed in the MFA studio space provided. I work large and there's no way I could work in a space that small. My undergrad studio was bigger. And they said I couldn't use an empty class room to work in. And the school and campus just didn't "feel" right. I received a good review though. I just don't want to waste my money applying to a place that I don't really want to go to after visiting. My ex was rejected three times by SAIC (after interviews).

I've been trying to track down admission information for the schools - when they start accepting applications and the deadlines. Same with financial aid. The only real info you can find on their websites is the deadlines. I want to know when I can start applying so I can plan for the time frame.

I already have a portfolio but am working to make it stronger. Not only to get into a school but to compete for merit based scholarships. I'm nervous about being interviewed. I can talk and write about my work, but I get really nervous with interviews.

Schools usually wait to review your application until they're all in, after the deadline - so there's really no point (from what I've seen - YMMV) in applying extra early. Though this will differ for schools with rolling admissions.

In my (very humble) opinion, this is what you should focus on right now:

-Work to make sure your portfolio is strong and cohesive. Decide the best way of representing your images in your portfolio, ie documentation. Will you be taking pictures of your paintings yourself? Do you have a photographer who'll do that for you?

-Research faculty at your choice schools and their work. Decide exactly why you want to work with them, and what you'll contribute to them.

-Line up your letters of recommendation writers. Meet regularly with them, and prepare the materials they will need to write your letters (this should include a current CV, transcripts, statement of purpose, images of your work, lists of the schools' various deadlines, and all the forms, addresses, stamps and envelopes they'll need. Even if they can do everything online, the hard materials should still be provided. I had one letter writer who, just before the deadline, emailed me and said, "I can't figure out this online letter submission thing. Tell me where to send hard-copy letters" and I had to scramble to get her all the information and appropriate forms).

-Start drafting your statement of purpose. Make sure to consult all of the disparate statement requirements at all your desired schools, and tailor your statements accordingly.

Interviews are a long way down the road. If you focus on what you can accomplish now, that will reduce some of the anxiety over what you cannot yet control. Though, of course, your meetings with your mentors can act as rehearsals for the interviews.

Schools usually wait to review your application until they're all in, after the deadline - so there's really no point (from what I've seen - YMMV) in applying extra early. Though this will differ for schools with rolling admissions.

In my (very humble) opinion, this is what you should focus on right now:

-Work to make sure your portfolio is strong and cohesive. Decide the best way of representing your images in your portfolio, ie documentation. Will you be taking pictures of your paintings yourself? Do you have a photographer who'll do that for you?

-Research faculty at your choice schools and their work. Decide exactly why you want to work with them, and what you'll contribute to them.

-Line up your letters of recommendation writers. Meet regularly with them, and prepare the materials they will need to write your letters (this should include a current CV, transcripts, statement of purpose, images of your work, lists of the schools' various deadlines, and all the forms, addresses, stamps and envelopes they'll need. Even if they can do everything online, the hard materials should still be provided. I had one letter writer who, just before the deadline, emailed me and said, "I can't figure out this online letter submission thing. Tell me where to send hard-copy letters" and I had to scramble to get her all the information and appropriate forms).

-Start drafting your statement of purpose. Make sure to consult all of the disparate statement requirements at all your desired schools, and tailor your statements accordingly.

Interviews are a long way down the road. If you focus on what you can accomplish now, that will reduce some of the anxiety over what you cannot yet control. Though, of course, your meetings with your mentors can act as rehearsals for the interviews.

i completely agree.

for me, writing my statement of purpose was the hardest. i probably spent a good month on it. I started out with the hardest (or what i thought to be the hardest) school to get into and worked my way down.

ultimately, it's all about your work so focus on that.

good luck with everyone applying.

i completely agree.

for me, writing my statement of purpose was the hardest. i probably spent a good month on it. I started out with the hardest (or what i thought to be the hardest) school to get into and worked my way down.

ultimately, it's all about your work so focus on that.

good luck with everyone applying.

It's so hard to just focus on the work right now. I have enough work for my portfolio but am still working on some more pieces so I can pick the strongest. Not only does the work have to be strong enough to get in, but to get a scholarship(s) as well. I'm not too nervous about the SOP. I have a strong artist statement and am clear about what I want to do and why. And I write well. I'm nervous about interviews. I know.... I haven't even applied and I'm nervous about interviews... So I'm trying to push it all out of my mind and just concentrate on finishing my work in the studio. It's hard.

That's a great idea about giving all the info to my mentors. I didn't think of it. Thanks for the tip! :)

It's so hard to just focus on the work right now. I have enough work for my portfolio but am still working on some more pieces so I can pick the strongest. Not only does the work have to be strong enough to get in, but to get a scholarship(s) as well. I'm not too nervous about the SOP. I have a strong artist statement and am clear about what I want to do and why. And I write well. I'm nervous about interviews. I know.... I haven't even applied and I'm nervous about interviews... So I'm trying to push it all out of my mind and just concentrate on finishing my work in the studio. It's hard.

That's a great idea about giving all the info to my mentors. I didn't think of it. Thanks for the tip! :)

i'm going share my experience with you.

before entering my senior year in my undergrad, i knew i was going to apply to graduate school, because i had already knew, i started making tons and tons of photos. i think i shot more my senior year than any other year i was at school. i had casually done my research, talked with professors about schools that would fit with the current direction my work was heading prior to school beginning. i had a list of about 10 schools and after realizing how much money it would cost me to apply to all off them, i narrowed it down to 4 schools. yale, saic, cca, and uofmn. they were all over country, and they were all doing wonderful things with photography that i admired. i also paid really close attention to the faculty, the work that was coming out, and geography (as it plays a big role in the type of work i make). this was all before my last semester.

so with that in the back of my head, i continue with my undergraduate work. 2 months before applications were due, i notify 4 of my professors and told them that deadline was coming up and gave all the required information to write the proper letter of recommendation. i also think it's important to choose who will write for you. you want artists whose LOR are going to get recognized. (at least that's what i think) for me it was a yale alum, director of my school's photo dept, and a local but widely known photographer, who i happen to work for.

again like i've stated, my statement of purpose was the hardest simply because i'm a horrible writer and english isn't my first language. for a whole month, right up to the couple of days before the applications were due, i was still revising my SOP. I think i would have still revised it, if it weren't for the due dates. i had countless people look my statement. my professors, editors, friends, strangers...etc... etc.. and took everything everyone said into consideration.

like you i was pretty confident about my body of work so it was simply a matter of arranging it in a sequence that made sense. (told a story) this was important to me because i see myself as a story teller.

first week of January, i sent everything off. not knowing what the future had in store for me. there was a flood of emotions that came for me. i knew that my was the best it could have been but i was still nervous about others thought of my work because i had never shared with the outside world.

i heard from uofmn first, they called me within the first week of receiving my application and informed me that i had been accepted and would be offered a full scholarship with stipend. i was excited and at the same time terribly afraid because if i didn't get into the other schools that would mean i would go to my backup backup school. (something i really didn't want to do.)

a couple of weeks later, all the other schools sent their requests for interview. (this started a whole new flood of different emotions for me.) i was mortified at the thought having to speak.

cca was first and was a really short notice. they email me in the morning and said they would calling in the afternoon for a phone interview. i thought it would be the easiest but it actually was the hardest. i think i wasn't really prepared for the interview and hence the reason why it was hard.

saic, was second and it was sort off a prelude to what was to come with yale. i must say i had really good interview with the faculty at saic. i really liked it there. we mostly talked about my work, the direction it was heading, what i was thinking about in terms of new work, why saic, what i can contribute... etc..etc.. what i've realize is, sure there are questions that they must ask all interviewee but mostly the conversations are really lucid in that you are sort of in the driver seat.

before going to new haven, i met with my mentor and other professors for a mock up interview. ( i highly suggest this) and i really think this prepared me for the yale interview. at least i wasn't as nervous as other interviewee. though i really wished i did this before i had any interview. i must admit my interview at yale was weird, in the sense that, i was asked to make a fargo accent and the professor sitting next to me had his fly down during the whole interview. we talked a bit about my background and where i was from and then looked at my work and talked about my work and the direction it was moving. I thought i was horrible in the interview. i mean i was literally sick to my stomach. after my interview i wanted to get as far away from new haven as possible. i thought for sure that i had bombed the interview and was going to get rejected for sureeee.

by the time i went to the yale interview, i had found out i was accepted into the programs at cca and saic. and that i was granted scholarships that would cover 95% of my tuition at cca and 50% at saic. still i wasn't happy. (i've now realize how selfish i was) finally on my birthday, when i came back from my birthday celebration i checked and there it was. i read the fist 5 words and screamed.

after floating on cloud nine all night, i came down to earth and finally realize the choices that were in front of me. it was hard but i knew that i wasn't going to the uofmn so i told them first and then cca.

saic called and when i told them that i was accepted to yale, they offer to bump up the scholarship. at the end the way they were pursuing me was such a turn off because one of the professors would call me constantly and in the end i declined their offer.

i visited all 4 schools and sat in on critiques with all them and realize that i would more from yale than any of the other schools, plus yale just felt right.

this was my first time ever applying so i don't know or understand how hard and draining it must have been for the folks that have done it more than once but i must say that this was a wonderful experience for me as artists and a person.

great i've written a whole damn book about myself. sorry!! but i do hope that my experiences will help you in your adventure.

I think it's a great thing that you and others are thinking this far ahead and are beyond prepared for this. be honest with yourself, be humble and everything will fall into place. i wish you luck.

best, PHH

Edited by mnchick

i'm going share my experience with you.....

Thanks for sharing! Congrats!

I started visiting some Grad schools when I was in Undergrad 2nd year in 2002. Although, they are completely different ones that I'm applying to this coming year. I haven't applied before but I did go to the Grad Portfolio Day in Chicago last November. I showed my portfolio to SMFA (I was first in line!) and received a good review - they said my work and statement were strong and encouraged me to apply. Syracuse gave me a good review and said my work was the best they had seen that day. Chicago gave me a weird review/critique but said mine was the best they had seen all day and that I would make it past the first round, but not sure about the second.

I decided not to apply to SAIC because of the studios being too small and was put-off by the faculty and students I talked to. Plus, I don't want to stay in the midwest with the type of work I'm doing. I need to get back to the East Coast.

So I'm applying to Yale, SMFA, Columbia and Syracuse. Now, I might be looking into Hunter since I've been reading about it on here.

I've been out of school for 4 years now. I guess I'm feeling rusty. I haven't had a critique in the past 4 years. I've been going to art openings, reading, and watching documentaries but I don't have the same daily interactions with other artists, students, professors, etc. I have forgotten a lot of art history and things from undergrad. So I'm going back and reading notes and things I wrote from old critiques and art theory classes.

I'm confident that my work is strong and I can definately talk about my work and the direction it is going in. I'm nervous about the "how do you fit within Contemporary Art" question. I don't know how to answer it. I've been stumped on it for a while. And there are artists that I like but no one that directly influences my work. I do narrative figurative work that deals with personal experiences. So while I'm working, I don't look at other artists. I don't want to become too influenced by other work. But when I'm in between pieces or done with a piece, I then look at other artist's work. I don't want to just throw names out there. I do look at other artists work and read about contemporary art but feel rusty talking about it since I haven't been in a school setting or involved in any artist discussions for so long.

And interviews just make me nervous! Just worried I'm going to fumble and go "uhhhhhhhhh ummmmmmm uhhhhhhhhhh" when they ask me about contemporary art. And I have an anxiety disorder that makes it all worse :(

So I'm trying to just focus on the work. I don't really have to do any more pieces, but I want to. Never know.. new pieces might be better and can cut some of the other pieces out. :)

How was the financial aid/scholarships with Yale?

• 2 weeks later...

Cornell is free + living stipend, as is Rutgers if you get one of the TA positions.

Does anybody know anything about the Academy of Fine Arts Vienna?

Gottfried Helnwein graduated from there, but he's an artistic deity

who would've thrived anywhere.

so I'm just curious if any of y'all know anything about it.

Also University of Washington, Seattle

has TA positions that cover tuition. Not sure about a stipend though.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey hi

I am new to this forum and from India..

I am planning to t ake up MFA painting..

can someone throw some light on it..

Is it possible if i can get some MFA sops..and exactly what kinda painting do these people actually look at,,

Awaiting for the reply at the earliest..

Planning to apply fr fall..

thanks

enzoi

I spotted a list someone posted on here of 'sleeper' programs that were offering full funding to try and climb the ranks but I can't find the link now. Anyone know of a few programs like that or a list of them?

I was wondering where that list was too, i'd love to see it !

• 2 weeks later...

This is probably a dumb question but when they say 20 stills in th portfolio, do they need to be 20 individual works because quite a few of my works involve multiple interactions between viewers, the piece and the context which the work is being shown? I can't really express that all in a single still. Also, is it a good idea to include sketches and drafts for your pieces (like christo and jeanne claude's drawing for their pieces)?

I just found gradcafe and am glad to see so many people in the same boat as I am. I just finished my internships last week and have narrowed down my schools down from a list of 35 to 8. Most of these were eliminated visiting campuses and seeing faculty/alumni shows. My internships were in NYC and I definitely want to be there for graduate school if at all possible. My schools are:

Columbia

Hunter

SVA

Parsons

Yale

Cornell

UT Austin

Queens College

I have visited most of these and have spoken with faculty, current students and former students for all of them. I have my letters of recommendation lined up but I am still slogging through the statement of purpose. As for the question about multiple shots of the same work, I have been told that detail shots are preferable to drawings of work. The photos of your work are the only visual means of representing yourself as an artist while applying and I think the images of actual work might better convey the piece than a drawing would, but that is something that would differ from artist to artist.

Best of luck to everyone. I look forward to seeing what happens in the next few months.

• 1 month later...

Anyone out there applying for Printmaking or New Media/Interdisciplinary MFA programs? I'm trying to narrow down and possibly add to my list of schools. I'm really interested in hearing from anyone with similar interests and where you're applying. Top choices? Any recommendations for programs that encourage cross-disciplinary work/new genres?

As a west coast native I am mostly applying to East coast schools, ready for a change of scenery.

I'd LOVE to hear any opinions on NYC schools for Print or Interdiscp programs, I'm having a really hard time narrowing down my NYC applications. Seems like people on this board have been a little more in favor of Parson's than Pratt or SVA. Hard to get a feel for Columbia, I haven't heard anything great about Printmaking there, but since I am more interested in an interdisciplinary MFA than a strictly Print one, I am intrigued. Anyone want to weigh in here?

I'm not going all-out applying, if I don't get in this year I'll wait a year, but therefore I really want to make sure I choose the right schools to apply to. I'm really interested in your 2 cents!

• 1 month later...

Wow what a great forum! This will be a short post but I am looking at the following programs:

Yale (figures no merit scholarship)

Columbia

SAIC

Possibly UCLA?

I'm visiting SAIC and Columbia in the coming weeks, I'll also be at Columbia's open studios. Will let you know what I see. Best of luck to everyone!

Bythe way anyone know of Foundations that offer stipends to grad apps? So far I'm only finding options for students in their second year.

columbia has incredible printmaking facilities, i believe that is what they are known for. pratt has an incredible new digital arts facility: the best studios i have seen in visiting schools in the new york area: bright, open etc. i believe pratt has digital printmaking courses.

my advice is to visit schools before making an important decision or at least look at the school's website. http://www.columbia.edu/cu/arts/neiman/

Anyone out there applying for Printmaking or New Media/Interdisciplinary MFA programs? I'm trying to narrow down and possibly add to my list of schools. I'm really interested in hearing from anyone with similar interests and where you're applying. Top choices? Any recommendations for programs that encourage cross-disciplinary work/new genres?

As a west coast native I am mostly applying to East coast schools, ready for a change of scenery.

I'd LOVE to hear any opinions on NYC schools for Print or Interdiscp programs, I'm having a really hard time narrowing down my NYC applications. Seems like people on this board have been a little more in favor of Parson's than Pratt or SVA. Hard to get a feel for Columbia, I haven't heard anything great about Printmaking there, but since I am more interested in an interdisciplinary MFA than a strictly Print one, I am intrigued. Anyone want to weigh in here?

I'm not going all-out applying, if I don't get in this year I'll wait a year, but therefore I really want to make sure I choose the right schools to apply to. I'm really interested in your 2 cents!

I know Cornell and Rutgers both offer full tuition remission and living stipends (Rutgers' stipend is actually around 24k, but only those who get a TAship get the deal).

I spotted a list someone posted on here of 'sleeper' programs that were offering full funding to try and climb the ranks but I can't find the link now. Anyone know of a few programs like that or a list of them?

I was wondering where that list was too, i'd love to see it !

• 1 month later...

Just finished my last application, it only took ehhhh . . . 3 months to finish the Yale app? What a draining experience.

Notes on SAIC: visited the campus and attended their grad overview session in Seattle (I would look into these if you are not close to Chicago and can't visit). The campus visit was impressive, their facilities are fantastic and their grad studios are pretty spacious. I wasn't able to see much of the student work, and unfortunately did not have time to view the library or the contemporary museum (which are supposedly phenomenal).

Columbia: Open studios were very exciting (huge spaces originally used during the Manhattan Project). Many in attendance (including Jerry Saltz, an advisor). A good collection of video/media and sculpture work. Felt most of the painters are working in the same manner; very Dana Schutz (also an advisor). Ultimately I feel that there are no funding resources outside of students loans, and from what I was told hardly any of the students work outside of the studio (which makes me wonder if they are solely dependent on their TA positions and loans). From the student I spoke with, I gained that most are reliant on the social network the institution has in place to determine their success in the field.

Completely different idealogies from what I gathered, but both very interesting schools.

Anyone visited Yale for their Open House in November? I would love to hear about it!