Suffolk or UMass Boston

redfalconx

Hey all,

I'm wondering what your opinions are on Suffolk University and UMass Boston. I've been accepted to both Suffolk's MPA program and UMB's MS Public Affairs program this fall, but I'm having a hard time deciding between the two. I like that Suffolk's is an MPA and its location for me is better. I like that UMass Boston is cheaper. I will have the max amount of Stafford loans but I'd like to keep my debt as low as possible. I also plan on moving out of Boston (and out of Massachusetts) 2-3 years after I get my degree.

So which university has a better program/reputation/job outlook? Any advice, insights, or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all,

I'm wondering what your opinions are on Suffolk University and UMass Boston. I've been accepted to both Suffolk's MPA program and UMB's MS Public Affairs program this fall, but I'm having a hard time deciding between the two. I like that Suffolk's is an MPA and its location for me is better. I like that UMass Boston is cheaper. I will have the max amount of Stafford loans but I'd like to keep my debt as low as possible. I also plan on moving out of Boston (and out of Massachusetts) 2-3 years after I get my degree.

So which university has a better program/reputation/job outlook? Any advice, insights, or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

I don't know much about Umass' program. If it is reasonably comparable to Suffolk (class size, professor access, etc.) I would choose that to minimize debt.

However I did go to Suffolk for undergrad and enjoyed my experience. The small class size and involved advisers were key to my success there. A coworker of mine did an MA in public policy there and was working at the state house at the time; my understanding is that the ties to the state house and local businesses are good. May not be as important to you if you don't plan on staying in the area long.

I don't know much about Umass' program. If it is reasonably comparable to Suffolk (class size, professor access, etc.) I would choose that to minimize debt.

However I did go to Suffolk for undergrad and enjoyed my experience. The small class size and involved advisers were key to my success there. A coworker of mine did an MA in public policy there and was working at the state house at the time; my understanding is that the ties to the state house and local businesses are good. May not be as important to you if you don't plan on staying in the area long.

Thank you for the response. The class size and professor access are about the same at both schools from what I understand. I also believe UMass has been getting more involved in the state house. Thanks again.