MFA Painting Studios - SMFA / Columbia / Yale

Artist1

I am not going to have the chance to visit the schools before applying. I wanted to know if anyone has visited the painting studios of SMFA, Columbia, or Yale and how big they are? I work quite large and need a good sized studio.

Estimated square footage, how high the ceilings - would be helpful?

I visited SAIC recently and the studios were super small and low ceilings. Impossible to work in. They also said I couldn't use the classroom space when noone was there. That I'd have to stay working in the studio space. And argued with me when I said their studios were small. They said they were quite big and told me I should just stay where I live and go to school here instead then. But they gave me a good review and told me to apply.. Screw SAIC. :P

I am not going to have the chance to visit the schools before applying. I wanted to know if anyone has visited the painting studios of SMFA, Columbia, or Yale and how big they are? I work quite large and need a good sized studio.

Estimated square footage, how high the ceilings - would be helpful?

I visited SAIC recently and the studios were super small and low ceilings. Impossible to work in. They also said I couldn't use the classroom space when noone was there. That I'd have to stay working in the studio space. And argued with me when I said their studios were small. They said they were quite big and told me I should just stay where I live and go to school here instead then. But they gave me a good review and told me to apply.. Screw SAIC. :P

I visited SMFA in the spring. They're graduate studio structure is kind of strange...from what I understand it works like this: First year graduate students get a space that's about ten feet by ten or twelve feet feet. The ceilings in the studio building are really tall, but the studios are divided up by drywall structures that are maybe ten feet tall. Second year grads get two of these spaces together, so that your space grows to ten feet by maybe twenty feet. Most SMFA students opt for their program to be three years, which is not really spent in studio classes or group crits but instead just preparing for their thesis exhibitions, finishing up academic requirements, and most are provided with TA or teaching positions. Only SOME of these third year students receive studios, depending on if the program decides that their work needs the space. The other third years are expected to work outside of school and in the "thesis prep room", which they share with the other students in their thesis show for the weeks before installation happens.

Hope that helps.

I visited SMFA in the spring. They're graduate studio structure is kind of strange...from what I understand it works like this: First year graduate students get a space that's about ten feet by ten or twelve feet feet. The ceilings in the studio building are really tall, but the studios are divided up by drywall structures that are maybe ten feet tall. Second year grads get two of these spaces together, so that your space grows to ten feet by maybe twenty feet. Most SMFA students opt for their program to be three years, which is not really spent in studio classes or group crits but instead just preparing for their thesis exhibitions, finishing up academic requirements, and most are provided with TA or teaching positions. Only SOME of these third year students receive studios, depending on if the program decides that their work needs the space. The other third years are expected to work outside of school and in the "thesis prep room", which they share with the other students in their thesis show for the weeks before installation happens.

Hope that helps.

Thanks! That is kinda small, but seems standard among most of the schools. My work is 10 - 12 feet in either direction. I really hate to be constricted if I want to go larger. I wonder if they would make any exception for first year students that work really large scale.

Anyone know about Yale and Columbia studios???

• 4 weeks later...

I saw Yales two years back, from what I remember they were some of the nice-est and most accomidating I came across. Everyone has there own for two years, except a few very large ones which are shared. high ceilings, windows, and a proper locking door. Very private, clean, and beautifully maintained like new. Two floors set up in a ring around a large center crit room that is two stories high, the hallway of the second floor of studios looks down into it. Hard to guess square footage maybe 10' x 15' for the single?

• 2 months later...

Thanks! That is kinda small, but seems standard among most of the schools. My work is 10 - 12 feet in either direction. I really hate to be constricted if I want to go larger. I wonder if they would make any exception for first year students that work really large scale.

Anyone know about Yale and Columbia studios???

Columbia has 2 grad studio buildings: one on 115th St. & one on 125th St. The first are tiny, the second are very nice. Both have private rooms. They seem to put painters making large work in the 2nd building (woodshop, freight elevators, etc.).