Low GPA Terrific CV vs High GPA with not-so-good CV

elliebear

Hi guys. I'll be applying for Fall 2011 masters and am wondering which of the two will be the greater deciding factor when it comes to admitting an applicant. Would someone with a low gpa, (about 3.2) but a good CV (no paper, but a lot of experience, such as internship, in the related field, and participated in related conferences etc) stand a good chance, compared to someone with high GPA (say about 3.7) but with a CV that is "scattered" (buffet-like and no focus)? That is, assuming their other application materials such as GRE results are comparable, and that they are applying for the same masters course.

I have to admit, I belong to the former. Currently lacking a bit of confidence in the application, given that everything else is great, except for the GPA (had a terrible time in the first two years), which I've heard so much about committees being very stringent and setting it as the first bar applicants would have to cross.

Please advise me!

Edited by elliebear

Hypothetically: If your entire applicant pool consisted of the "scattered" applicants you mentioned than you'd probably be okay. The reality is the distribution isn't going to look like that. However, your applying to Master's programs not Ph.D. So I think you are going to be okay. Most Master's programs I explored don't expect you to have a Paper, in fact it is a bonus for Ph.D programs- one of the last things you can do that not every applicant does. If you have a research background you should be cool. The GRE and GPA requirements are also more lax than Ph.D programs, although depending on the school that doesn't mean you will be a shoe in.

Go for it!

Hi guys. I'll be applying for Fall 2011 masters and am wondering which of the two will be the greater deciding factor when it comes to admitting an applicant. Would someone with a low gpa, (about 3.2) but a good CV (no paper, but a lot of experience, such as internship, in the related field, and participated in related conferences etc) stand a good chance, compared to someone with high GPA (say about 3.7) but with a CV that is "scattered" (buffet-like and no focus)? That is, assuming their other application materials such as GRE results are comparable, and that they are applying for the same masters course.

I have to admit, I belong to the former. Currently lacking a bit of confidence in the application, given that everything else is great, except for the GPA (had a terrible time in the first two years), which I've heard so much about committees being very stringent and setting it as the first bar applicants would have to cross.

Please advise me!