2011 Fall PhD in film/communication

finalcountdown

Hi there,

I am a journalist in India with 4 years' experience. Completed my masters in development communication in India and have a bachelors degree in commerce (accounting). I have an inclination towards film history, criticism and research, with Bollywood (Indian film industry) as a primary focus.

Finally zeroed in on the subject for my PhD research which is film censorship. Was thinking of applying to cinema studies departments earlier. But considering my background (with no MFA degree) it seems I should aim for critical studies or rhetoric. Also, I've seen developmental studies departments in some schools like Wisconsin-Madison. Is it a reputed school? what are the career prospects of passing out from it? That college has some Indian profs doing similar research, which may improve my chances of getting in.

What other schools/departments can I apply to? Does anyone know profs working on similar studies.. I'll be giving my GRE next month. Lotsa work to do :(

Anyone else aiming for PhD in films in 2011? Hows the prep coming along.

Edited by phdfromabad

• 2 months later...

Hey there,

We are in the same boat. It seems you have penned down my queries. Did you get an answer for it yet? And what were you told? Let me know as well please. and what are you doing about the writing sample? Submitting one with Indian cinema as the subject ? How did your GRE score come along? Are you through with applications? Where all did you apply or plan to?

Hi there,

I am a journalist in India with 4 years' experience. Completed my masters in development communication in India and have a bachelors degree in commerce (accounting). I have an inclination towards film history, criticism and research, with Bollywood (Indian film industry) as a primary focus.

Finally zeroed in on the subject for my PhD research which is film censorship. Was thinking of applying to cinema studies departments earlier. But considering my background (with no MFA degree) it seems I should aim for critical studies or rhetoric. Also, I've seen developmental studies departments in some schools like Wisconsin-Madison. Is it a reputed school? what are the career prospects of passing out from it? That college has some Indian profs doing similar research, which may improve my chances of getting in.

What other schools/departments can I apply to? Does anyone know profs working on similar studies.. I'll be giving my GRE next month. Lotsa work to do :(

Anyone else aiming for PhD in films in 2011? Hows the prep coming along.