What to say for after PhD plans?

Hello everyone, I'm going to be applying for PhD programs this fall for engineering. I have started working on my statement of purpose and had a question about how to word my post PhD plans. I know for a fact that I do NOT want to enter academia and would much much prefer to go work in the industry. Should I clearly state this in my personal statement or is it looked down upon to not be interested in being a professor? I don't want to lie and act like I plan on becoming a professor but I don't want my true intentions to be a turn off for admission committees....thanks for any input!

I would seriously caution against saying you are uninterested in academia-- the reviewers are all academics.

i mean, i wouldnt say "I HATE ACADEMIA", i would just say something along the lines of "My ultimate career goal would be to conduct research in a national laboratory or a medical research hospital etc..."

Hmmm....

Edited by mguj1130

I have the same concern about navigating this. Is it a big deal if you don't want to enter academia, but you do want it as a foundation for your future research endeavors? Also, another concern I have is that programs will be steering grad students into teaching, which isn't something I want to do. Any words of wisdom would greatly be appreciated!

In my opinion, you don't have to state what are your future plans. I would, instead, stress on that you are seriously interested in finishing their program and strongly motivated to pursue your studies and obtain a PhD. They are looking for people who want to work hard for low income, and the most important thing is that you really want to hold a PhD. Nobody will ask you if you want to become a professor or what.

Totally depends on the field and the program. There are some fields/programs where, from what I've heard, you are virtually required to say you want to end up in academia -- it's not even good to imply that you aren't sure. Other programs (my sense is that this is more likely in bioengineering than in sociology) don't really care for one reason or another.

Why do some programs have such a preference for aspiring academics? Sometimes it's because the programs are focused on training academic researchers, and placing graduates into respected academic positions is part of their reputation. PhD funding and mentorship is a big investment in a student, and while of course they want you to do whatever makes you happy, part of what makes that investment worthwhile is having you land in a great academic job. Another reason not to accept those who don't want to go into academia is that sometimes the PhD degree is only right for those interested in academia. This is the case in my field. Some people apply to PhD programs in business thinking the PhD will be something like an expanded MBA, but in fact it has nothing to do with the MBA. It is just not worth spending so many years of effort and living on a grad student stipend for someone who knows from the start that they have no chance of going into academia. Programs know that anyone who enters the program with no intention of becoming an academic will soon realize this and drop out, so it is better for everyone if such applicants are not accepted.

So, if you are sure you have no interest in academia, first ask around in your field to see whether saying that in your SOP would be a liability for you; and if so, ask yourself whether it is possible that the PhD may not be the right degree for you. Maybe there is some kind of master's that will serve you better. If not, perhaps it is just that the programs like to place graduates in academic jobs, in which case you should ask yourself whether you are willing to let down a program that has invested so much in you. (Some such programs have a culture that is somewhat unsympathetic to leaving academia, so attending such a program may not be right for you, either.) The answer could still be that it is worthwhile for you to apply to such programs, in which case you will simply need to lie in order to get in.

If you are not sure whether you want to go into academia or not -- I know this doesn't apply to the OP, but just for future applicants who might look at this thread -- just say you do. As you know, the only way you could possibly get an academic job is a PhD, and if the only way you can get a PhD is to overstate your confidence that you want to become a professor, then do it. Also, it happens all the time, and even profs often understand that you might want to check out other job options while you are working toward your degree. It is healthy to make sure you are doing what is really best for you.

But I think for someone who really has ZERO interest in academia, but who needs to straight-up lie about that in order to get in to programs, it is important to understand the reasons for the mismatch and make sure that a PhD is really the best thing given your interests. Again, it might be; but treat the mismatch as an opportunity to double check.

Edited by socialpsych

What about if you want to work in academia but not in the field of your PhD (e.g. Economics PhD but teach at a law school or Political Science PhD and teach at a business school)? Assume you already hold an advanced degree in the other field (JD or MBA) when applying.