Industrial Engineering and Operations Research (IEOR) Fall 2022 PhD admissions

critical_point

Hey y'all, 

I'm applying to IEOR and related PhDs for Fall 2022. I've had a few interviews (Georgia Tech, Northwestern, Berkeley) but still waiting for most of my top choices. Trying to figure if people have started hearing back from MIT, Stanford, or Columbia? 

If you're applying to any of these or other similar programs, I'd love to hear your story. I'm sure now is a tricky time for most of us so hopefully this thread helps ease some of the anxiety!

Hey, thanks for starting this! I interviewed at GTech ISyE and Columbia IEOR, and will be interviewing with Berkeley IEOR and UMich IOE over the next two weeks. Received admission from GTech so far. Have heard nothing from Stanford (either MSE or GSB), MIT ORC, Princeton ORFE, or Cornell ORIE so far.

Regarding GTech, has anyone else who’s been admitted received any funding information yet?

Columbia has indicated that their first round of admissions is coming in around 2 weeks, and I believe that they are interviewing everyone who could potentially be on that list.

Oh, and for Berkeley, what was your interview like? Do you know if they’re just talking about background, or if it’s more technical, or if they’re trying to match with advisors? I’m interviewing with two profs at the same time, both of whom are POI for me, but I’m not sure if that’s a coincidence or not.

Edited by aeiou12345

@aeiou12345 Congratulations on GTech, I recently got my admission decision from there too! This morning I also received an email with funding information. 

Berkeley's interview was very conversational, much like all the other interviews I've had. There was no direct discussion around potential advisors but just an understanding of research interests. 

7 minutes ago, critical_point said:

@aeiou12345 Congratulations on GTech, I recently got my admission decision from there too! This morning I also received an email with funding information. 

Berkeley's interview was very conversational, much like all the other interviews I've had. There was no direct discussion around potential advisors but just an understanding of research interests. 

Congratulations, and same, and thanks so much for the information! Could you tell if the calculations they did in the funding letter included tuition fees or not? I was unclear on that. Maybe I’ll see you around if/when GTech does a visit weekend! Wishing you the best of luck with all the other schools on your list- I’ll let you know if I hear anything new on my end.

Just now, critical_point said:

Haha exactly the same! Congratulations on Cornell!! 

OMG we're gonna be seeing SO much of each other over these visits haha! CONGRATULATIONS and also I'm sorry but mostly CONGRATULATIONS! Cornell's department is so incredible, and I am so so thrilled for the acceptance.

Some updates on my end, in case this info is useful to anyone: received acceptances from Berkeley IEOR (on Monday) and Cornell ORIE (last Friday). Columbia IEOR should be coming out sometime this week. Received a rejection from Princeton ORFE on Friday and a rejection just now from MIT ORC. Also received a call placing me on the waitlist for Stanford GSB (on Friday). Still waiting on any news from Stanford MSE and CMU ACO, as well as admission results from UMich IOE.

Edited by aeiou12345

• 3 weeks later...

My Stanford MSE rejection ended up coming in today (to both PhD and MS, focus area in OR). Stung a bit, but I think I actually managed to get into the set of programs that were the best fit for me in retrospect so I’m quite pleased! Makes my decision making easier. Really excited for the upcoming visits.

16 hours ago, IE Student said:

I applied for UMich IOE program and they told me I am on the waitlist! Please decline your offer if you have a better option; this is my only hope :((

I am not sure anyone has received an acceptance from UMich IOE yet, but this reminded me to withdraw my application to the program. I hope you get in, it’s a really lovely program and I’m wishing you luck!! ?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all!

I have a question. I haven't received any update from UC Berkeley for IEOR Phd. I know that visiting day already ended and some acceptences were sent. Since I did not receive anything, should I assume that I am rejected or waitlisted? Or my application got lost in the black hole lol. I have received PhD offers from different universities and their decision deadlines are approaching. What do you suggest at this point except desperately mailing to admission comitee? 

Thanks in advance.

• 9 months later...