Professional Career v. Academic Career can you balance both

lvm0312

Hello Everyone,

I know that eveyone on these boards is mainly concerned about academics but I was wondering if there are others out there who have a professional career and an academic career. I am currently in the second year of my MA in political science and have been a career student intern with an agency in the federal government for about 3 years. This program allows me to go to school fulltime and work fulltime. However, I find myself split between what to do. I really want to go for my PhD in political Science/ International relations and am preparing for the application cycle now but at the same time I am having a difficult time merging my academic interest with my career interest. Has anyone done a PhD program and worked fulltime? Also, my job allows me to attend training classes which give me the opportunity to earn professional certificates. I am currently working on a certificate for Program Management (while on summer break from school) How are these certificates looked upon by academia? Is anyone else in this situation?

Hello Everyone,

I know that eveyone on these boards is mainly concerned about academics but I was wondering if there are others out there who have a professional career and an academic career. I am currently in the second year of my MA in political science and have been a career student intern with an agency in the federal government for about 3 years. This program allows me to go to school fulltime and work fulltime. However, I find myself split between what to do. I really want to go for my PhD in political Science/ International relations and am preparing for the application cycle now but at the same time I am having a difficult time merging my academic interest with my career interest. Has anyone done a PhD program and worked fulltime? Also, my job allows me to attend training classes which give me the opportunity to earn professional certificates. I am currently working on a certificate for Program Management (while on summer break from school) How are these certificates looked upon by academia? Is anyone else in this situation?

Hello There,

Great thread...i am somewhat in the same position.

I am applying for a PhD in IR this fall. My wife is going to have to support us. I make a good salary right now. She won't be able to make what I make.

I am going to try and work part time while I am in school but even that will be challenging. I am not sure how you will be able to work full time especially if you are fully funded from your school. They are going to have a lot of work for you to do to get your degree. I would say some of it will rely on the program

However, I find myself split between what to do. I really want to go for my PhD in political Science/ International relations and am preparing for the application cycle now but at the same time I am having a difficult time merging my academic interest with my career interest. Has anyone done a PhD program and worked fulltime?

A guy in our department, who is about to defend his dissertation, did this. It took him about 8 years to get his PhD, though--despite the fact that he already had a Master's degree. So it's possible, but don't expect to get through in a normal time frame.