UW Seattle MFA Applicants?

whitewhales

Hi all, I was wondering if there were any lurking UW Seattle MFA applicants that are also patiently waiting to hear anything from the school? It's like looking for unicorns.. 

Please pipe in if you've applied, it seems like not many people apply there compared to other schools and would be good for us to connect and support each other in our time of waiting. 

Hoping we can get a feel together for a timeline, news, updates, anything!

2 hours ago, Coconutagua said:

Hope someone will pop in soon

Me too. ? 

If I hear anything I’ll post it here. When we log in it still says application with department so let’s hope they’re still reviewing? 

5 hours ago, Coconutagua said:

Hope someone will pop in soon

Ok so I sent an email last week asking for a general timeline for them to review applications and I got this response today:

Thank you for reaching out. The faculty have started their review of applications and will contact applicants if they have any questions.

They typically start reaching out to finalists in early March.

So I don’t know if this means they will be interviewing people or not this year? It wasn’t very clear on that.. If someone is brave enough to ask “Hi, when should we expect interviews to be sent out to applicants?” That would be great. ?

I mean is one a finalist by the interviews? Or after the interviews? Idk.. 

9 hours ago, Coconutagua said:

I think it meant we should expect interview during early March and if not, then it might be a rejection.

You’re probably right Coconut. Good luck to you. ? I didn’t ask I don’t think but what discipline did you apply in? I went for painting+drawing. 

4 hours ago, kewpiebread said:

Hi everyone!

I'm usually a lurker in these forums, but I was recently contacted and told I was shortlisted! I applied for the Photo/Media discipline. I hope this helps both of you! 

That does help a lot, thank you for reaching out. That is really nice news. Good luck!!! 

9 hours ago, kewpiebread said:

Hi everyone!

I'm usually a lurker in these forums, but I was recently contacted and told I was shortlisted! I applied for the Photo/Media discipline. I hope this helps both

Hi, I've been lurking here too. I just had my interview with Photo/Media today. It was a fairly relaxed one-on-one interview. The only question that caught me a by surprise was when I was asked what qualities I possess that would make me a good teacher. I got the impression they take TAing very seriously. 

Good Luck!

12 hours ago, lamat said:

Hi, I've been lurking here too. I just had my interview with Photo/Media today. It was a fairly relaxed one-on-one interview. The only question that caught me a by surprise was when I was asked what qualities I possess that would make me a good teacher. I got the impression they take TAing very seriously. 

Good Luck!

Thank you for the information! I hope your interview went well overall! And good luck to you as well! 

Best of luck to everyone else in this thread! 

Hi friends, 

I just did my UW Interview with Painting and Drawing and thought I would share how it went in case that could help anyone. It was with all 6 faculty members and lasted 15 minutes. They each asked a question. I was asked why UW and why specifically painting and drawing, what is it about painting that makes me return to it and makes me want to engage with it specifically, what I learned in or took from undergrad, how important it is to look at work in museums or galleries and what work I've been looking at, how I've engaged with looking at work during the pandemic, and where I see my work going. 

They didn't talk or ask about my portfolio work or statement at all, but they did ask a couple of follow up questions based on my answers to their questions. 

4 hours ago, Strawberrycat said:

Hi friends, 

I just did my UW Interview with Painting and Drawing and thought I would share how it went in case that could help anyone. It was with all 6 faculty members and lasted 15 minutes. They each asked a question. I was asked why UW and why specifically painting and drawing, what is it about painting that makes me return to it and makes me want to engage with it specifically, what I learned in or took from undergrad, how important it is to look at work in museums or galleries and what work I've been looking at, how I've engaged with looking at work during the pandemic, and where I see my work going. 

They didn't talk or ask about my portfolio work or statement at all, but they did ask a couple of follow up questions based on my answers to their questions. 

Thank you Strawberrycat ? that is so helpful. 

1 minute ago, Salsasanasa said:

Would it be safe to assume we are rejected if we didn’t get an interview? I’m in painting too ?

Salsasanasa.. I think it’s safe to say. Unfortunately. I would think that we would have been interviewed and informed of being “waitlisted” by now. You can dm me if you want to grieve lol ? 

Really happy for all who received interview invitations and good good luck to you all! 

(Please keep us posted about your progress and if you end up choosing UW!) 

11 minutes ago, whitewhales said:

Salsasanasa.. I think it’s safe to say. Unfortunately. I would think that we would have been interviewed and informed of being “waitlisted” by now. You can dm me if you want to grieve lol ? 

Really happy for all who received interview invitations and good good luck to you all! 

(Please keep us posted about your progress and if you end up choosing UW!) 

Awww Whitewhales you’re the best, hopefully it’s a positive outcome, but you’re probably right. I hope you do something good to feel better today!!

thanks for all your words and support throughout the process! Cheers!!

Edited by Salsasanasa

I applied for their graphic design (MDes)program and didn't get their respond yet...

I feel so upset bc they are my first choice and I sent an email to them to ask them if i can have a chance for interview.

Anyone else who applied for graphic design program?

21 hours ago, KougamiAkane said:

I applied for their graphic design (MDes)program and didn't get their respond yet...

I feel so upset bc they are my first choice and I sent an email to them to ask them if i can have a chance for interview.

Anyone else who applied for graphic design program?

Please let us know if they respond. I’m sorry you didn’t get invited. It was my top choice too, I applied for painting. 

On 2/24/2022 at 2:46 PM, whitewhales said:

Please let us know if they respond. I’m sorry you didn’t get invited. It was my top choice too, I applied for painting. 

I sent an email 2 weeks ago and they didn't reply me.

I will send an email again to ask them if I can have a chance for interview, I will not give up until the last second. UW is my dream school and I really like their MDes program. Anyways, crossed fingers for us! :)

8 minutes ago, KougamiAkane said:

I will send an email again to ask them if I can have a chance for interview, I will not give up until the last second. UW is my dream school and I really like their MDes program. Anyways, crossed fingers for us! :)

KougamiAkane I’m not really sure how schools feel about this - but. I don’t think it can hurt entirely? Might be worth the shot? I don’t know, especially since you emailed them once. I think @Strawberrycat should comment here she’s got a bit of experience applying to schools. 

I admire your hope and determination, I personally usually decide on worst case scenarios and work with those cards. I hope they get back to you, and I hope they see how much you love their program and give you their time. 

Crossing my fingers for you. ???

16 minutes ago, KougamiAkane said:

Who did you send the email to? Was it the department contact or one of the professors? 

Sometimes emails get lost or they just don't have an answer for you yet, but if you don't know anyone from the design department who has gotten an invitation, it may be that they're still working on it. Originally they said that their timeline would be early March, but for painting it was earlier, so I don't know if that means it was earlier for everyone. 

The way I see it, is that emailing them to check isn't going to make a difference in their decision making, so I just try to be patient usually. Some schools don't mind it, but some get kind of annoyed about it and ask that no one contact them about it. I don't think UW is one of those schools, so I think it's fine if you check in once more, politely, but I probably wouldn't again after that. Good luck with everything!

7 minutes ago, Strawberrycat said:

Who did you send the email to? Was it the department contact or one of the professors? 

Sometimes emails get lost or they just don't have an answer for you yet, but if you don't know anyone from the design department who has gotten an invitation, it may be that they're still working on it. Originally they said that their timeline would be early March, but for painting it was earlier, so I don't know if that means it was earlier for everyone. 

The way I see it, is that emailing them to check isn't going to make a difference in their decision making, so I just try to be patient usually. Some schools don't mind it, but some get kind of annoyed about it and ask that no one contact them about it. I don't think UW is one of those schools, so I think it's fine if you check in once more, politely, but I probably wouldn't again after that. Good luck with everything!

Thank you! The email was sent to their admission office, Idk any of their professor.

Yes you're right, I think I need to consider if I should send an email again or not bc i don't wanna disturb them again. Thank you!!

2 minutes ago, KougamiAkane said:

Thank you! The email was sent to their admission office, Idk any of their professor.

Yes you're right, I think I need to consider if I should send an email again or not bc i don't wanna disturb them again. Thank you!!

I'll add that I have sent a lot of emails to schools that have gotten no response, too! :') So it's not just you, at least! I just think it's a busy time of year. 

1 hour ago, KougamiAkane said:

Did you email UW main grad admissions or the grad program at the school of art? I emailed the program email linked on their website in early February asking about a timeline and they responded in a couple of days. 

• 2 weeks later...