How Far in Advance to Write GRE?

thepoorstockinger

I used to have this written down somewhere and I can't find my notes, nor amazingly can I find a thread on this board but:

How far in advance of my deadlines should I write the GRE? I am looking for the firm cut off rather than a recommended strategic time. I know I should give myself time to rewrite in case of disaster but if I am looking at a December 1 first deadline what exact date is the latest I can write and still have the scores arrive in time?

I used to have this written down somewhere and I can't find my notes, nor amazingly can I find a thread on this board but:

How far in advance of my deadlines should I write the GRE? I am looking for the firm cut off rather than a recommended strategic time. I know I should give myself time to rewrite in case of disaster but if I am looking at a December 1 first deadline what exact date is the latest I can write and still have the scores arrive in time?

If I remember correctly, a lot of schools will have their own deadlines for GRE scores. At least, some of mine did. You should check their websites. If they don't, then the December 1st deadline sounds like a good one to me.

If I remember correctly, a lot of schools will have their own deadlines for GRE scores. At least, some of mine did. You should check their websites. If they don't, then the December 1st deadline sounds like a good one to me.

Right, but what I am asking is if the deadline for applications is December 1 when do I need to take it in order for the scores to arrive before the deadline?

Right, but what I am asking is if the deadline for applications is December 1 when do I need to take it in order for the scores to arrive before the deadline?

ETS is notoriously slow, up to six weeks before they send out scores. So, that would require you to take the GRE somewhere around Oct 20, I would say.