Harvard Divinity MDiv Interview Importance?

DivSchoolHopeful1942

According to the Phd thread on this site for Harvard CSR, decisions have been made, confirmed by a current student, but no one has received their decisions yet. I'm wondering if HDS for master's is a similar situation. Anyone know if masters and phd timelines and admissions structures at hds are similar enough for that to be the case? 

1 hour ago, Duh_Divinity said:

According to the Phd thread on this site for Harvard CSR, decisions have been made, confirmed by a current student, but no one has received their decisions yet. I'm wondering if HDS for master's is a similar situation. Anyone know if masters and phd timelines and admissions structures at hds are similar enough for that to be the case? 

I'm by no means an expert on admissions timelines, but from my understanding, PhD candidate decisions are made before MA decisions, partly due to funding reasons (i.e. PhD candidates have priority funding). So I don't necessarily think HDS has finalized MA decisions yet, but I could be wrong.

I don't know, something does feel a little strange. I keep checking my email to see if I've missed anything. I'm hoping you all cast your net elsewhere, too, because I'm not necessarily counting on this interview anymore. Even if they interview through March 14th, shouldn't we have at least had the opportunity to schedule it by now? I'm not trying to be the pessimist but it's March 1st.

1 hour ago, aalena75 said:

I don't know, something does feel a little strange. I keep checking my email to see if I've missed anything. I'm hoping you all cast your net elsewhere, too, because I'm not necessarily counting on this interview anymore. Even if they interview through March 14th, shouldn't we have at least had the opportunity to schedule it by now? I'm not trying to be the pessimist but it's March 1st.

I'm revising my last statement. I reviewed the email we all received initially, and apparently it says they will be *sending out invites* for interviews in early March. So, maybe they really just aren't done yet.

I went and checked last years admissions results page on TheGradCafe for hds. It looks like most were uploaded on March 10. I don't know how the interviews will impact this, if at all. It only goes back one year, and last year was unorthodox with COVID and everything. Just a thought that if they do decide to release on the 10th that is 9 days away. Last year the 10th was a Wednesday. Don't know why I think that it being a Wednesday is important, but alas. Also, no idea if they usually release on that day because I can't get thegradcafe admissions results to go back another year. I saw on a past forum where people have looked back at past years. I have attached the link. They are discussing results released in 2019. Synopsis: the earliest they had seen was march 12th ( 2021 they released on the 10th), and one person said the Monday or Tuesday with the 15th in it (again 2021 was released the week before the 15th). Since this is the first year they are doing interviews they could understandably extend their timeline.

Still, they have been stating that decisions will be mid-March, so the timeline can't change by much. Honestly, I'm at peace with whatever happens. I'm strongly considering Duke's offer right now and have started declining offers elsewhere.

On 3/1/2022 at 8:31 PM, aalena75 said:

Still, they have been stating that decisions will be mid-March, so the timeline can't change by much. Honestly, I'm at peace with whatever happens. I'm strongly considering Duke's offer right now and have started declining offers elsewhere.

Where all have you heard from if you don't mind me asking? Where and why did you decline? 

Guys, I agree with the advice to cast a reasonably broad net, as opposed to putting all of one's hopes on HDS. There are many reasons why prestigious schools end up not admitting candidates with impressive stats, but none of this has anything to do with who the candidate is as a person or how capable he/she is. 

The simple point here is, although I was interviewed within what appears to be the first round, and I think the interview went well, I know that I might still be declined admission to HDS. And should that happen, I'll be happy for the admittees and then I'll move on to the next challenge in life. 

Whatever happens re: this process does not define you or me. Keep the faith, friends -- meaning the faith in yourself!

45 minutes ago, Sisko said:

Guys, I agree with the advice to cast a reasonably broad net, as opposed to putting all of one's hopes on HDS. There are many reasons why prestigious schools end up not admitting candidates with impressive stats, but none of this has anything to do with who the candidate is as a person or how capable he/she is. 

The simple point here is, although I was interviewed within what appears to be the first round, and I think the interview went well, I know that I might still be declined admission to HDS. And should that happen, I'll be happy for the admittees and then I'll move on to the next challenge in life. 

Whatever happens re: this process does not define you or me. Keep the faith, friends -- meaning the faith in yourself!

I concur with this. I was interviewed at about the same time. I don't think I nailed the interview, however I am also my harshest critic so time will tell.

To the point about why schools choose certain applicants over others:  I received an interview at HDS, however other people on the forum who have not received an interview but have applied to other schools that I have, and heard back from thus far,  have received better offers than me. So, this process is quirky. Who knows what individual schools want. 

4 minutes ago, camelears said:

I concur with this. I was interviewed at about the same time. I don't think I nailed the interview, however I am also my harshest critic so time will tell.

To the point about why schools choose certain applicants over others:  I received an interview at HDS, however other people on the forum who have not received an interview but have applied to other schools that I have, and heard back from thus far,  have received better offers than me. So, this process is quirky. Who knows what individual schools want. 

It'll be interesting to see if those who haven't been interviewed yet (including myself) receive an invite or not. Per the email they sent me, it seems like they would barely be done with interviews before the expected decision date. Honestly I'm not sure what to expect but I'm happy to be on this journey and my uncertainty about the future has been much relieved by hearing from Duke, so I'll be content with whatever the remaining schools decide.

Hmm... did the HDS response appear to be a personalized reply to your query? I ask only because I've seen where such emails are basically auto reply during this time of year when admissions offices are inundated with queries. It's conceivable that the email was set up a few weeks ago, hence the continued interview invites. 

Hopefully, it was indeed a personal response and they truly are still sending out invites. I just want to help manage expectations so folks won't be let down if surely this was an auto reply. Thanks.

5 minutes ago, Sisko said:

Hmm... did the HDS response appear to be a personalized reply to your query? I ask only because I've seen where such emails are basically auto reply during this time of year when admissions offices are inundated with queries. It's conceivable that the email was set up a few weeks ago, hence the continued interview invites. 

Hopefully, it was indeed a personal response and they truly are still sending out invites. I just want to help manage expectations so folks won't be let down if surely this was an auto reply. Thanks.

I quoted what the email said, and it was sent to me five or so hours after emailing them. They addressed me by my first name and also told me I was welcome to ask more questions if I have them. I'm not sure, it definitely wasn't an auto reply but I can't say whether it was a template copy-paste. Couldn't say.

14 minutes ago, aalena75 said:

I quoted what the email said, and it was sent to me five or so hours after emailing them. They addressed me by my first name and also told me I was welcome to ask more questions if I have them. I'm not sure, it definitely wasn't an auto reply but I can't say whether it was a template copy-paste. Couldn't say.

I think the response was a form letter. I'm imagine dozens have asked. Overall, it reads as a form letter, but the line "for the next few weeks" is what really sounds generic. Few means three or more. We don't have 3 more weeks before march 15. Personally I am betting on them releasing decisions on the 11th or 14th, complete conjecture though. However, if my speculation is accurate that would mean 1 week for invitations and to complete the interview. You just can't expect people to be available on a whim for an interview.  Other schools have offered two weeks for interviews. 

Anyone that has interviewed: did you see how far out the calendar went? 

3 minutes ago, Duh_Divinity said:

I think the response was a form letter. I'm imagine dozens have asked. Overall, it reads as a form letter, but the line "for the next few weeks" is what really sounds generic. Few means three or more. We don't have 3 more weeks before march 15. Personally I am betting on them releasing decisions on the 11th or 14th, complete conjecture though. However, if my speculation is accurate that would mean 1 week for invitations and to complete the interview. You just can't expect people to be available on a whim for an interview.  Other schools have offered two weeks for interviews. 

Anyone that has interviewed: did you see how far out the calendar went? 

I agree with this; it did sound quite vague. However, the initial email did say interview invites would be sent out throughout February and early March. It's still early March. I would say if we don't have interview invites by Monday, though, then things aren't looking so good. Unless interviews somehow affects their decision date; after all, it's the first year they're doing this. All in all, I'm not really sure what to think.

I'm both an optimist and a realist. Sometimes, however, being too optimistic can cause stagnation, at a time when we need to move forward. 

Look at the facts: Interviews are now a prerequisite for admission. HDS is trying to keep their cohorts reasonably small to encourage greater engagement and interaction between faculty and students (and between students).

"Mid-March" is their announced decision timeframe, but that benchmark is fastly approaching. A number of candidates have already been selected for interviews. According to this thread, no one has been invited to interview over the past several days.

Friends, I can think of only two plausible explanations for that:

1) HDS is deliberating on whether some of the interviewees would be a good fit for their programs; and if not, they plan to go back to the applicant pool early next week to bring in a few more prospects.

OR

2) HDS is satisfied with the applicants who have been interviewed, and they have no plans to extend further interviews for this cohort. Hence, the gap in time between the last round of interviews and no efforts to schedule additional interviews to date.

My two cents worth of advice? Hope for the best but prepare for the worst. Don't allow yourself to become stagnated and held in suspense for the next few days. Life is too short and precious. Find ways to move forward even while remaining hopeful. 

Just trying to be helpful! Take good care, all!

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, DivSchoolHopeful1942 said:

Sooo what’s the consensus? 

I mean, they never interviewed me so I knew I wasn't getting into HDS. I'm definitely still leaning VDS but waiting for YDS decisions tomorrow before accepting at VDS!