Math level and going into poli sci?

I'm still an undergraduate, however I was considering grad school for poli sci specifically IR or international security. With this, I was wondering what my math level should be at as well as what types of mathematics courses I should take?

I'm still an undergraduate, however I was considering grad school for poli sci specifically IR or international security. With this, I was wondering what my math level should be at as well as what types of mathematics courses I should take?

I would look to see if your school has a scope and methods grad level poli sci class. You will do some quantitative work which will have some math. Its more basic algebra. Also, get some research background. You could persue these more but it depends on how far up the latter in grad school you wish to aim for. I good stats class would help.

I would look to see if your school has a scope and methods grad level poli sci class. You will do some quantitative work which will have some math. Its more basic algebra. Also, get some research background. You could persue these more but it depends on how far up the latter in grad school you wish to aim for. I good stats class would help.

They do have have a scope and methods class at my school for both undergrad and grad and I'm supposed to take such a course in a semester or so. I've dabbled in stats and mathamatics applied to poli sci in an upper division course I took last semester.

I would definitely recommend statistics. I took that and a quantitative methods class and did just fine with applications. Math for political science might be useful, but you might want to check where the focus of the class is - IR, American, Comp., etc.

I would definitely recommend statistics. I took that and a quantitative methods class and did just fine with applications. Math for political science might be useful, but you might want to check where the focus of the class is - IR, American, Comp., etc.

I'll be taking stats at some point, not this semester but maybe the next?

In terms of the focus of the methods and involved math for political science classes, none of the professors that I know of at my school who teach such courses have an IR focus.The prof that I know of who has an interest closest to IR who teaches such a course appears to be a comp man

If you're serious about grad school, take as many of the basic math courses as you can stand and have time for. Calculus, multivariate calc, linear algebra, probability theory. These will show your analytical capabilities more clearly than most social science stats courses, including intro poli sci methods for PhDs. However, taking a stats class might be useful if you can do it in time to be able to use some stats techniques in your senior thesis. But a solid qualitative thesis plus decent grades in multivariate calc will be enough to put you ahead of that pack in applications. (plus GREs, overall GPA, rec letters, etc., of course)

• 2 weeks later...

If you're serious about grad school, take as many of the basic math courses as you can stand and have time for. Calculus, multivariate calc, linear algebra, probability theory. These will show your analytical capabilities more clearly than most social science stats courses, including intro poli sci methods for PhDs. However, taking a stats class might be useful if you can do it in time to be able to use some stats techniques in your senior thesis. But a solid qualitative thesis plus decent grades in multivariate calc will be enough to put you ahead of that pack in applications. (plus GREs, overall GPA, rec letters, etc., of course)

I highly agree. At the least you should take up through multivariate calculus. Whether or not these math skills are necessary for the program you're applying to/the research you looking to do, showing that you can think abstractly like this is a big deal on an application (and I think one of the reasons I got into the program I did).

I highly agree. At the least you should take up through multivariate calculus.

Yikes I don't even know what that means anymore!

The disadvantages of a British Degree maybe? Be happy in the knowledge that some of us will have done next to no maths. Math... whatever.

Edited by Rlemkin

Another quick note on knowing maths.

There's big debates in the profession between the "Qualitative Camp" and the "Quantitative Camp." They argue over whether or not math is necessary (or even appropriate) in the research of the profession, but regardless of which side you fall on (and, IMHO, they're both idiotic...you clearly should be able to do both and should always be doing both as they support each other), you still need to be able to show that you can consume and understand the quantitative literature, even if you don't plan to produce any.

Another quick note on knowing maths.

There's big debates in the profession between the "Qualitative Camp" and the "Quantitative Camp." They argue over whether or not math is necessary (or even appropriate) in the research of the profession, but regardless of which side you fall on (and, IMHO, they're both idiotic...you clearly should be able to do both and should always be doing both as they support each other), you still need to be able to show that you can consume and understand the quantitative literature, even if you don't plan to produce any.

For example the difference between Rochester and UVA? I remember Rochester explicitly stating they had a very quantitative program as opposed to UVa which talks of being more historically and qualitative.

(Michigan may be a better example.. my knowledge of American Universities is a little thin)

• 3 weeks later...