Policy School: Why is US domestic policy analysis averse (somewhat) to comparisons / analogies outside of the US?

Thinking back to my graduate school and academic research experience, I am always amused with how US domestic policy is hesitant to frame its issues relative to similar circumstances outside of the US. 

This isn't just limited to Education issues, but pretty much every domestic issue I have been engaged in - housing, healthcare, and etc.

I'm not saying there is no analysis of US domestic issues in a an international context (and we are seeing more of it lately with COVID policy). However, when I do see an international contextualization, it is done almost always by non-Americans. Americans working in domestic policy, seem to be adverse to it.

Have others found this to be the same? If so, why do you think this is so? If not, please tell me what you experience has been. 

I obviously can’t speak to policy school curriculum, but if I had to venture a guess I’d say it likely has to do with the concept of “American Exceptionalism” or the US’s generally inflated ego. Anecdotally, I’ve also heard peeps say the diversity of cultures here makes all other comparisons moot.

There’s just some hubris in the States that prevents the general populace from learning from the mistakes or successes of others. ??‍♂️ 

On 2/15/2022 at 6:35 AM, PolicyApplier said:

I obviously can’t speak to policy school curriculum, but if I had to venture a guess I’d say it likely has to do with the concept of “American Exceptionalism” or the US’s generally inflated ego. Anecdotally, I’ve also heard peeps say the diversity of cultures here makes all other comparisons moot.

There’s just some hubris in the States that prevents the general populace from learning from the mistakes or successes of others. ??‍♂️ 

I agree. I remember trying to watch less liberal news for some time, and it's so common to hear people confidently declare that the US is the best country because "[they] have the best doctors, the best education, the best healthcare (...)" despite many of these statements being blatantly untrue.

People of most countries have some pride in their nation, but the US is the only one I know whose inhabitants don't even feel like they need to know anything about other countries in order to be able to declare themselves best.

Caveat: All this being said, the other trend exists as well, à la "oh, Scandinavia does this, so let's import it", which is sometimes unrealistic because obviously context and path dependence matters a lot when it comes to policy. Get inspired, sure. Transpose 1:1, probably not.

Edited by politely_curious