UCLA Poli Sci PhD

Does anyone know much about getting into UCLA's political science PhD program (specifically in American politics)? I am applying in a couple months from a well ranked undergrad with a 3.9 GPA (a poli sci student) but will most likely only have decent GREs (maybe 700Q and 650V). I have good letters of rec, much research experience (both for professors and have received grants for my own work) and all that, but I still feel very uneasy about my chances of getting in. If anyone could offer their thoughts it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

UCLA offers a strong program, for which I am sure you are a strong candidate given the information you provided. That said, applications are about a lot more than the numbers (SOP, LORs, fit with program, etc.) Also, I have heard that UCLA has had somewhat shaky funding for those accepted. Although you are probably a very strong candidate, I hope you are looking more broadly than just one program, given the uncertainty of admission and funding, so you'll have the best chance of receiving an admission with good financial support.

Best of luck.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know much about getting into UCLA's political science PhD program (specifically in American politics)? I am applying in a couple months from a well ranked undergrad with a 3.9 GPA (a poli sci student) but will most likely only have decent GREs (maybe 700Q and 650V). I have good letters of rec, much research experience (both for professors and have received grants for my own work) and all that, but I still feel very uneasy about my chances of getting in. If anyone could offer their thoughts it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

You have a good profile, but it is still a crap shoot, as is any application to a top program like UCLA.

As far as funding goes, I know someone who got in there last year (I didn't apply there), and she got a very competitive offer. However, they also accept some people without funding. Funding is not shaky there; this is the nature of the program. Some just aren't funded.

But I agree with above about applying to more than one school, but I can see the appeal of UCLA given their record in American politics.

"Also, I have heard that UCLA has had somewhat shaky funding for those accepted."

I did an informational interview with a Berkeley student a few months back and she mentioned that students throughout the UC system are nervous about future funding.

Yeah, people were terribly scared last year too, but UCSD, for example, was able to offer tuition remission and all fees paid to all students plus $26k a year for five years.

Yeah, people were terribly scared last year too, but UCSD, for example, was able to offer tuition remission and all fees paid to all students plus $26k a year for five years.

UCSD seems to be making a very strong effort to build/sustain their program. I've been quite impressed with how they've handled themselves, especially during hard economic times.

UCLA also had a competitive offer last year so this is really not something to worry about. Besides, in the worst case scenario if you get accepted without funding you can still decide whether you want to take the offer or not. Those who attend a program without funding rationally decide to do so, probably because the other offers they got were from lower ranked universites. Really it depends on how you see the cup: half empty or half full. You can be upset that you do not have funding or be happy to be in a top 10 program....