Do they laugh when they look at portfolios?

pointedears

I have always wondered how the admission process works for MFA applicants. Considering that a lot of schools don't even require GRE scores, all they have to judge us are portfolios, SOPs and recommendation letters. Personally, this is how I picture it. A huge room with one person(let's call him John) sitting next to the computer/projector, another table where others sit facing the screen.

John inserts a CD, first slide comes up, they laugh and you can hear a few comments of "What was he thinking?". John ejects the CD, breaks it into pieces and inserts the next CD. Process goes on for some 50 applicants when they see a portfolio which deserves to be seen in its entirety. At the end of it, probably they laugh again. So on and so forth till they get 30 CDs/slides they actually respect, out of about a 1000? (I read somewhere that RISD's acceptance rate is 16/1000). Now, those 30 get interview calls, some 500 get rejection letters and the rest get an invitation to join the Bachelor's program.

Seriously though. If someone actually knows what goes on in there, it would be great to know. I can only think of horrible, horrible answers. Latest vision I conjured? A grad student weeding out the 'they're just going to laugh at this' applicants.

I don't know exactly what they are doing, but I feel like Pratt definitely laughed at my portfolio. SMFA apparently reviewed it and then passed it to my interview committee and we watched part of it while I chattered happily about my work.

I have to believe that you might be on to something. I don't know anything about grad admissions but right now I work at an undergrad institution and when they review portfolios they quickly have a sense of what the student's abilities and if they aren't up to the major. I have heard some chuckling and such as a lot of them pretty low level but this is high school students coming to undergrad. It's probably not that different at the grad level. You know the professors know what they are looking for and they can make those decisions based on the first few images. Another reason to make sure your best works are the first one they will see.

You know the professors know what they are looking for and they can make those decisions based on the first few images. Another reason to make sure your best works are the first one they will see.

I agree. If the first impression is not a good one, they'll just move on. Also, where did you do your Bachelors from?

My Bachelors was a BA in Art from Millersville University (one of the Pennsylvania State System Schools). I've actually been working in the world of arts education administration for the past 7 years (working at the same university I graduated from), so now I'm going back to the world of making art. My goal is to come away with the skill and experience to get an academic position at a college or university.

How about you? Where did you go?

• 9 months later...

I'm no expert, but these are my thoughts on my experience....

caveat:

I used to be very shy and self-concious and have finally figured out to just stop it and be confident about my abilities. This wasn't easy to and took a long time to actualize.

My first portfolio review by complete strangers was this Fall in NYC.

The portfolio review site was jammed and loud and there wasn't alot of room to show big pieces. There was also a long wait for some of the schools. Then there were some gems like SAIC that had plenty of reps and not a long wait time.

Feedback was interestingly consistent between two schools/reps -- one rep was a alum and the other was a dept chair. I met with another from a school I wasn't 100% sure about and from the get-go got a bad vibe. The rep didn't hide her fatigue and lack of interest. After I introduced myself she announced she needed to go to the bathroom, left me alone and came back with snack and a drink for HERSELF. Not impressed I let my annoyance show and she let her fatigue and irritability show. It was a waste of time and she had nothing positive to say. She didn't laugh. I think if she had I would have confronted her about her rudeness.

There wasn't enough time to visit with all the schools, too long lines.

Nevertheless, I made it out of there hours later feeling better.

So, the body of work has to be strong. I've heard they can judge you based on your weakest piece. The trick: take out the iffy pieces.

After the work, there's you. Or before the work, there's you.

What helps me: believe in my work, be realistic, know my limitations. A thick skin should go without saying. Project myself as a positive, but no-bullshit and focused artist. A grown-up. Not flaky. Be articulate. I spent the drive and train ride down practicing my 30-second commercial about myself and my work.

If you can do that, or convince yourself that you can, then no, you won't get laughed at---unless you're going for laughs.