Is 40 too late to begin an academic career?

BrotherB

Question

I've been in finance the last ten years, but decided during the pandemic I want to teach history.  After returning to my alma mater to pursue BAs in history and anthropology, I came to the realization that I'd much rather teach at a college or university than a high school.  This obviously means that I will need at minimum a MA.  I've maintained a 3.6 while working since returning, but my cumulative is under a 3.0 due to not taking my academic career seriously in my early 20s.  I'll also be pushing forty years old when I begin, and have effectively zero experience in either history or anthropology.  Will I even be able to get into a graduate school?

Thanks, Guys!

BrotherB

3 answers to this question

Hey, @BrotherB. Welcome to the GradCafe.

You may find more information in the History forum. There's also a forum for Anthropology.

Generally, your age should not be an issue in and of itself. As a holder of an endowed chair said to me, "History is an old [person's] game." By that, he meant that one doesn't enter one's prime as a historian until one's fifties.

I would be less worried about your GPA because there's only so much you can do about it. I'd be more concerned about having professors willing to write strong LORs (letters of recommendation) on your behalf, a well crafted SOP (statement of purpose), and a writing sample that reflects your skills as an aspiring academic historian.

Edited by Sigaba

I agree that your GPA is not so much of an issue. However, if you are considering a career change, there are a couple of things you should consider:

1. Age it's not a problem on its own. However, you should consider having a prolific profile on research publications to get hired (tenured). As you start your career late, you would be at a disadvantage.
    1. That's why it is essential to connect with professors that can guide you and support you in the way.
  2. There is a significant problem in the academic job market: too many Ph.D. holders for the number of positions available to hire them. That sucks, but it is how things are.
  3. You should explore your advantage: you got experience in finance. That's something that makes you different and could provide an opportunity, both for you and potential advisors.

I do not mean to discourage you in your dreams. Just giving some information on time. With hard work, you can make it.

For what it's worth, my grandfather went and got his PhD in social work at Berkeley in his 70's. 

You aren't too late. He had strong connections to Berkeley staff though. I would argue that you have the same problem as anyone else trying to break into academia, you need strong LoR from within academia. If you can do that, (maybe through a masters?) then I think you'd be good to grab the degrees and recommendations you'd need to break into teaching.