Michigan Results?

Berlin

Has anyone else that has applied to the Ford school not heard? I know a few people got accepted, and one person (sadly) didn't, but I still haven't heard anything! Just wondering if this is good/bad/neutral? I really like Michigan, and thought I had a shot, considering I got a scholarship to G-Town. Anyone else with me in the not-heard-from-Michigan boat?

Hi Berlin

I heard back from michigan a couple of days ago but i know someone who didnt yet hear a thing.

May i know when did u hear your funding decision from Gtown? And would you like to share with me why u like Michigan's mpp? I also appiled to this program but dont know much abt it. I'd like to work in world bank, consulting firms, or investment banks, so i am wondering if u of michigan would be a good choice for me. It looks like most of the graduates ended up working for gov.

also, someone suggests me go to schools in dc, which means hands-on opportunities for internships and i'd think michigan's location s a drawback??what do u think?

Thank you!

I heard back from Georgetown in the first week of February. I got an email a couple of days later telling me to apply for a scholarship; I did, and then a few days later found out about the scholarship.

First of all, I think you are stressing too much about all of this. Any of the places you go will be fine, and ultimately, it will be you, not the school that gets a job. Michigan is just a great school, and I like Ann Arbor a lot. They also have a lot of opportunities for joint degrees, which interests me.

Thanks erin!

I heard back from them last week but nothing about the funding so far. They didnt e-mail me about the additional essay. Weird thing is in the e-mail notification, they said there is no separate application for the fellowships and all the applicants will be automatically considered for the funding once they are admitted. So I dont get that why u should submit another essay? it was for need-based or merit-based scholarships?

BTW, have u made up your mind on which program to choose? I guess u'll go for Gtown? I spent some time reading their website and found that their emphasis/interests lie in public health care/policy and family/childen/education. Most professors have expertise in those fields, but not the international development, public finance, public management which are interesting to me. So, i kinda doubt if Gtown will provide me sufficent resources regarding to my academic/career interests. I also heard some negative info. about their program that they tend to throw out the courses from other department together to make its own, pretty much like Cornell's MPA. And I found their curriculum is less quantitative than other programs, like U of michigan's MPP(they have Caculous and stats as core courses) and focus on Poli Science. What do u think? Mind sharing any thoughts with me? :D . Just out of curiosity, what sub-field/concentration u would be interested in?

Thanks erin!

I heard back from them last week but nothing about the funding so far. They didnt e-mail me about the additional essay. Weird thing is in the e-mail notification, they said there is no separate application for the fellowships and all the applicants will be automatically considered for the funding once they are admitted. So I dont get that why u should submit another essay? it was for need-based or merit-based scholarships?

BTW, have u made up your mind on which program to choose? I guess u'll go for Gtown? I spent some time reading their website and found that their emphasis/interests lie in public health care/policy and family/childen/education. Most professors have expertise in those fields, but not the international development, public finance, public management which are interesting to me. So, i kinda doubt if Gtown will provide me sufficent resources regarding to my academic/career interests. I also heard some negative info. about their program that they tend to throw out the courses from other department together to make its own, pretty much like Cornell's MPA. And I found their curriculum is less quantitative than other programs, like U of michigan's MPP(they have Caculous and stats as core courses) and focus on Poli Science. What do u think? Mind sharing any thoughts with me? :D . Just out of curiosity, what sub-field/concentration u would be interested in?

i also had to submit another essay, and yes it was for merit-based scholarships.

i also don't think what you said about gtown is true at all. yes, GPPI does have an affiliated center for research on children. But I have ALWAYS heard that GPPI is a top destination for people who want to focus on foreign policy.

i think you're obsessing a bit OVERmuch about this.. don't take everything people say on the internet as truth! of course there's going to be criticism on any school. god knows people bash KSG a lot all over the place, but most people would still put that on top of their list. if you have concerns, call or email the school or VISIT for godsakes.

i also had to submit another essay, and yes it was for merit-based scholarships.

i also don't think what you said about gtown is true at all. yes, GPPI does have an affiliated center for research on children. But I have ALWAYS heard that GPPI is a top destination for people who want to focus on foreign policy.

Did you get a letter detailing your Georgetown scholarship? I ask because I also qualified for a merit scholarship, submitted an essay, and received a call telling me that I'd gotten it. However, the professor who called me failed to mention how much the scholarship was for (and it seemed rude to ask at the time), and I haven't gotten any more info about it since. And this was all a few weeks ago (I got caught up waiting to hear from other schools). Anyway, I'm going to email them soon about it, but I wanted to know whether other people had received letters detailing their funding.

Did you get a letter detailing your Georgetown scholarship? I ask because I also qualified for a merit scholarship, submitted an essay, and received a call telling me that I'd gotten it. However, the professor who called me failed to mention how much the scholarship was for (and it seemed rude to ask at the time), and I haven't gotten any more info about it since. And this was all a few weeks ago (I got caught up waiting to hear from other schools). Anyway, I'm going to email them soon about it, but I wanted to know whether other people had received letters detailing their funding.

Yes I got a letter (first an email) -- no phone call. That's a bit odd. You'll probably get something in the mail soon...

i received an acceptance from the Ford school today :) If you're still waiting for notification, it should be neutral since it took so long to get any sort of response. still worried about the funding aspect but glad i got in.