Great Advisor vs. Great Everything Else

cardamoma

I'm in a STEM field and I'm struggling with my decision between two schools. 

At one, the PI I would be working with is really great but the rest is just ok. Not very excited about the facilities or the lab culture.

At the other, there have been multiple red flags regarding the PI. They are a great person, but as an advisor they seem disorganized and unreliable, which would drive me nuts. Their students indicated there have been many broken promises and significant mistakes on the part on the PI, and communication is pretty bad. The PI also told me they have had several students quit in the past, taking very little responsibility for the fact. These are just a couple concerning elements but there were more. *However*, that program has an awesome department, great facilities, and a geographic location that fits my lifestyle really well. Plus, the other grad students in the lab I would be in are awesome. 

How can I weigh these two options? Funding is pretty similar between the two, maybe slightly better at the first school because there are more internal grants and fellowships I could apply for in future years. This is for a PhD, so I feel pressure to make a good choice as it is a long haul. 

Edited by cardamoma

14 hours ago, cardamoma said:

I'm in a STEM field and I'm struggling with my decision between two schools. 

At one, the PI I would be working with is really great but the rest is just ok. Not very excited about the facilities or the lab culture.

At the other, there have been multiple red flags regarding the PI. They are a great person, but as an advisor they seem disorganized and unreliable, which would drive me nuts. Their students indicated there have been many broken promises and significant mistakes on the part on the PI, and communication is pretty bad. The PI also told me they have had several students quit in the past, taking very little responsibility for the fact. These are just a couple concerning elements but there were more. *However*, that program has an awesome department, great facilities, and a geographic location that fits my lifestyle really well. Plus, the other grad students in the lab I would be in are awesome. 

How can I weigh these two options? Funding is pretty similar between the two, maybe slightly better at the first school because there are more internal grants and fellowships I could apply for in future years. This is for a PhD, so I feel pressure to make a good choice as it is a long haul. 

I gotta say, I do not envy your position here. But before I give my opinion, I'd like to ask if you are OK with providing more details on the issues of concern with the lab culture at the first school? 

@IamPokemon nothing serious, it's just a very small group. Two of us will be new so there isn't as much opportunity for guidance from more senior lab members (there's one, who is nearly finished), and I don't get the sense it is a group that has strong connections with one another. It doesn't feel toxic or anything, just a bit awkward and subdued. I'm worried it could feel isolating. Especially compared to the second group, in which everyone seems really friendly and close. 

Oof. That sounds rough. However, I'd probably go with school A. Great advisor and meh everything else beats out multiple red flags with the advisor. You need your advisor to be on top of things if you want to graduate. The fact multiple people have quit their lab is not something to take lightly. It almost sounds like the lab members are close because they have to be in order to get anything accomplished in their lab (and maybe trauma-bonded?). It's also easier to change a lab culture (like...maybe celebrate a birthday during a lab meeting or organize a coffee outing or something) for a group that just hasn't necessarily tried vs trying to change the way a PI operates. 

57 minutes ago, cardamoma said:

@IamPokemon nothing serious, it's just a very small group. Two of us will be new so there isn't as much opportunity for guidance from more senior lab members (there's one, who is nearly finished), and I don't get the sense it is a group that has strong connections with one another. It doesn't feel toxic or anything, just a bit awkward and subdued. I'm worried it could feel isolating. Especially compared to the second group, in which everyone seems really friendly and close. 

Here, at my undergrad institution, I have known a few graduate students from various departments in nightmare scenarios regarding their advisors. This is not a situation you want to be in AT ALL and should be avoided - especially when you can see the potential for such a circumstance coming. At the first school, mediocre facilities and equipment is unfortunate, but as long as they are not substandard, it should be OK. Besides, that can be changed. You did state that the first school has access to more grants and fellowships. The PI in my lab (undergrad) is an awesome mentor, and I have her to thank not only for my experience, but for her guidance that led to me getting accepted into some great PHD programs. So speaking from experience, having a PI that you can work with get along with, and is a true professional is invaluable. So, just my two- cents, despite the awesome grads and the fine equipment at the 2nd school, if you get a bad smell from the program, its probably not a good fit for you.